It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do recent mass murderers have in common?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The commonality you're looking for is psychotropic drugs. ALL these shooters have been on serious meds to "help" them with their mental issues.

Like thousands or millions of other people outside the US, though they don't go on a killing spree.

As i have said before, the drugs are not the cause, the mental illness is.

You guys keep trying to blame the medication, though it is clear from other countries that med's don't create deranged killer's.
edit on 7-10-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If we eliminate mass killings that are directly related to work place violence, domestic violence, gang and/or drug-related violence, or murders of related individuals such as killing family member then committing suicide, what THEN is the common denominator.

The most horrific ones are Sandy Hook, Aurora Movie Theater, Sikh Temple, Ft. Hood (I reject work place violence for this one), Washington Navy Yard, Charleston Church, Oregon college shooting.

Let's just take those seven and start with ONE thing they all have in common.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Hmmm

Oregon: Another Mass Shooting, Another Psychiatric Drug? 35 School Shootings/Mass Stabbings Tied to Psychiatric Drugs

I keep seeing this psych med theory being thrown around.

Well, if they were on meds, all that proves is they had mental health problems, not that the meds had anything to do with it.

People are always saying these meds are over prescribed, so that means millions of people take them. There sure arnt millions of mass shootings happening, so I think that theory is ridiculous.

As for the op. I really don't see a connection between single parent upbringing at all, maybe for the same reason as above.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
People seem to think Americans invented mass killing.....Hardly,

When I was a kid. There was a shooting at my Jr.High School.

The difference was there was no media blasting every detail with theme music.

I blame the media. They want blood. They need blood.

They encourage weak minded people to act.

How does that old song go?
"see the bubble headed bleach blonde
she comes on at 5
she can tell you about a plane crash
with a gleam in her eye"

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
People seem to think Americans invented mass killing.....Hardly,

When I was a kid. There was a shooting at my Jr.High School.

The difference was there was no media blasting every detail with theme music.

I blame the media. They want blood. They need blood.

They encourage weak minded people to act.

Words from my mouth. The common theme is TV. As seen on TV. Every on the verge, copycat maniac can hardly wait for their chance in the limelight. If they stopped covering these cases like they do, there would be a lot less of them.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I couldn't help noticing that guns were involved, just sayin'.

what a terrible answer, just my opinion, (of course, blame the gun!!) on topic, I would point a finger towards psychotropic medications....

I am sorry if your desire to ignore the elephant in the room exceeds your ability to see with clarity, but what commonality is more obvious between these mass shooting events than the fact that guns were used?

The killers used guns in gun shooting crimes, simple.
edit on 7-10-2015 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Look, there are no less than (50) other active threads shouting about guns and gun control. Let's not go down that same rabbit hole on this thread...PLEASE. You (and I) have expressed our views on those threads. This thread is NOT about guns, or gun control. If you want to post relevant to the OP then by all means, please do. Respectfully, if you want to divert yet another thread down the anti-gun / pro-gun avenue then please go find another thread to do it!.

Even the most ardent anti-gun advocate would not be foolish enough to make the allegation guns, and nothing else, were the sole cause for any of these recent incidents. Guns didn't wake up that morning, guns didn't go to the school, guns didn't pull their own trigger. There were other contributing causes. This thread is about those other causes...NOT guns!

Please stay on-topic, or take your anti-gun discussion elsewhere...please. I am asking nicely

edit on 10/7/2015 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Please see this response.

Here

I make the same request of you, please. ENOUGH threads have been diverted down this path. STOP IT!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You really should have named your thread "What do recent mass murderers have in common apart from killing people with guns".

Your thread your rules then, I shall bow out and wish you the best.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
If we eliminate mass killings that are directly related to work place violence, domestic violence, gang and/or drug-related violence, or murders of related individuals such as killing family member then committing suicide, what THEN is the common denominator.

The most horrific ones are Sandy Hook, Aurora Movie Theater, Sikh Temple, Ft. Hood (I reject work place violence for this one), Washington Navy Yard, Charleston Church, Oregon college shooting.

Let's just take those seven and start with ONE thing they all have in common.

They have all been perpetrated since 2009.

What was the big change in the last six years? Have psychiatric drugs changed that much? Are new medications being fast-tracked?

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I just posted this on another thread but it seems appropriate here, at least for the younger aggressors. Older ones, I don't know.

Given that at least 35 school shootings and/or school associated acts of violence (which includes guns, knives, and swords) with 169 wounded and 79 killed have been committed by students and others taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs, consideration of this connection can no longer be ignored. www.cchrint.org...

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I can't answer about potency changes, but it seems they are being perscribed more frequently as time marches on. One look at the television; there's a pill for everything anymore it seems. Every little minor itch, pain, droop, burp, fart, hair follicle, toenail...there's a med for that.

In fact, the saying "there's an app for that" should be changed to "there's a med for that".

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Wtf are you talking about, i don't blame the gun or at all mention anything guns in my post.

I was commenting on the people who blame the drugs instead of the mentally ill person.
edit on 7-10-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'm going with the drugs. they might do fine with some people, but they are over prescribed and maybe just maybe, since they are adjusting certain chemicals in the brain, maybe some of the people that are taking them the adjustment just throws the brain more out of synch. I'm not saying that tv doesn't play a role in it, maybe it does. Maybe the drugs just allow those darker imaginations that would normally not be acted on to well... be acted on.

dark movies and video games feeds the imagination but without the drugs reducing their self-control, well they would have never have acted on those imaginations?

as far as single parents being the problem, well.... I was raised through part of my life in a single parent household and well it was a turn for the worst, so much so that I moved out when I was 16. Never had any incentive to kill anyone because of it though. don't think that is it, and quite frankly, some single parents are single for some pretty danged good reasons.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

I my rejoinder to this would be; I don't believe the long-term health risk/benefits of many of these drugs are fully understood yet. they're too new. Perhaps they should be.

It's one thing to give little Billy a pill to make him come out of his darkened room. It's a whole other thing if the only thing Billy wants to do, when he comes out of his room, is go blow up his school. I'm not suggesting this is in fact the case, but I'm not sure we know enough yet.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'd like to state that there are several factors that usually lead to an individual going off their proverbial rocker. It's usually not one singular factor, but a combination of several factors....single parent household, too much autonomy, medications, recreational drug use, an extreme fascination with violent video games and/or disturbing and dangerous occult literature.

Some people can handle these things objectively, but others - particularly those with no real life ties to healthy socialization outside their own world - effectively brainwash themselves into the most horrible and reprehensible manifestations in order to cope with their isolation driven fantasy worlds.

Check the guys computer and bookshelf.
Bet there are red flags everywhere.

Either the parent didn't know or didn't care.

edit on 10/7/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting clarity

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
What do recent mass murderers have in common?

Reduced to its most basic...

Guns + people + death

Å99

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
They all are on or recently have been on one of the many kinds of anti-depressants. One of the adverse side effects of these meds is possibility towards violent tendencies and suicide. The pharmaceutical companies of course don't publicize these although they are included on the instructions/side effects that accompany the prescription when it is filled. As our gun laws are under attack, big pharma is getting off scot free as to their liability in these incidents.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe

originally posted by: xuenchen
Hmmm

Oregon: Another Mass Shooting, Another Psychiatric Drug? 35 School Shootings/Mass Stabbings Tied to Psychiatric Drugs

I keep seeing this psych med theory being thrown around.

Well, if they were on meds, all that proves is they had mental health problems, not that the meds had anything to do with it.

People are always saying these meds are over prescribed, so that means millions of people take them. There sure arnt millions of mass shootings happening, so I think that theory is ridiculous.

As for the op. I really don't see a connection between single parent upbringing at all, maybe for the same reason as above.

Side effects state "can cause" not "definitely will cause". It's preposterous to state that there should be millions of mass shootings. Just like it states Tylenol "can cause" liver damage. Not everyone who takes Tylenol for a headache will end up with liver damage. Your argument is greatly flawed.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

They have all been perpetrated since 2009.

What was the big change in the last six years? Have psychiatric drugs changed that much? Are new medications being fast-tracked?

Perhaps too many political idealisms are shattered since 2009.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join