It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Kasich Tells Critics Of Medicaid Expansion To Read The Bible

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Cool another post equating taxing people as stealing.

Since I've already discussed this very point at length in the thread, I'm going to use a different argument against it this time. I'm going to recall your bible. If the government taking taxes is the same as stealing, then WHY didn't the Bible speak out against paying taxes? Why instead Jesus said "render unto Caesar..."?

Equating taxes to stealing doesn't gel with the flow of the bible. The Bible CLEARLY denounces theft, but at no point does it denounce paying taxes. There is even a quote from Jesus where he supports paying them. As a result I think this reasoning is wrong.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
It is comical, you using Jesus to support your argument.
No disrespect meant, Krazyshot.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I didn't quite make that argument, but I did say taking the tax dollars and using them to do "charity" is similar to theft. A government is not a person anymore than you would likely consider a corporation one ... unless it suits you to do so.

Charity is a personal thing from the heart. Caesar does not do God's work for us because that would be us abdicating our very real personal responsibility to do as we are called to do (God does not recognize I gave at the office or in my taxes as a valid excuse), or are you arguing that it is entirely appropriate for Kasich to use the mechanism of government to institute what he considers to be Bible-based solutions when they coincide with what you consider to be good policy? If that's so, then you are being entirely hypocritical in this entire thread.

I find Kasich to be misguided in his application of scripture the same way I find Obama to be the same way I find Huckabee to be. All three make similar arguments that the government should be used to further God's work. I am surprised that you don't rail against all three similarly for it.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Now you don't any sense.

You asked for egs. I gave two rather obvious ones. Now you say you could think of examples. Then why waste my time if you aware of time compromise isn't always a good thing??

Here's a couple examples of "compromise" that was an unmitigated disaster. Yalta. It directly lead to the cold war.

The splitting of Korea and Vietnam into separate states when they were unified previously. That "compromise" caude two more wars and a third isn't impossible.

There are valid uses for compromise.

However, your statement: Compromise is always a good thing is wrong.

edit on 7-10-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

originally posted by: windword

It's refreshing to hear a Republican Christian actually invoke the teachings of hope and charity rather than trying to use religion to promote discrimination and hate.

Go John Kasich!

read the thread now.

Oh, my dear, I've read the whole thread. I see the same thing, Christians smarting from exposure and coming up with rhetorical excuses to continue with their hypocrisy and self perceived persecution.

Sorry if that offends, it's just the way I see it.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

so you're applying that to me, as well ? if so, then you haven't read the thread.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

You shouldn't take it personally or make yourself a target, but your excuses are right up there with the best of them. Taxes equal robbery, plain and simple, whether they fund war or social programs.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

okay if i vote to take your labor and use it for something else you dont approve of such as wasting it on stupid stuff when there are real issues that need to be addressed, how am i not stealing from you ? i mean how does it help our poor if the government allots money for studying really silly things like monkey's throwing crap? and cow burps? and puppets? and poems in zoos? meanwhile, lil kids are starving. i just....i don't know what to say.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

It's really simple. Expanding Medicare is a Christian thing to do, according to the Gospels.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

It's really simple. Expanding Medicare is a Christian thing to do, according to the Gospels.

agreed. but you aren't addressing the problem at hand. the government wastes the money we give them for programs like medicare and medicaid and other social programs. it uses real issues to get us to fork over our labor value, only allots a portion of the monies gathered to the actual problem, then uses the rest for silly stuff and global domination, then says they don't have enough and asks for more. in this fashion they are making everyone that isn't already well off, increasingly poorer. that's stealing, no matter how ya look at it.
edit on 7-10-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
can anybody tell me how it solves poverty and medical issues of the poor or fixed income people, to tax people then waste almost half of the taxes on nonsense??

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

whats this guy talking about? they raided government employee pensions??? you gotta be frickin kidding me.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

So ATS, especially conservatives, what do YOU think? Is expanding Medicaid a bad thing because of fiscal responsibility, or is the Bible more important and we should help these people because they are less fortunate than us?

Yeah it's a bad thing.

And yet what's with all the 'religion' there ?

That church and state only works part of the time?

If you want to go down this road FINE.

The bible was about people helping other people of their OWN FREE WILL.

Not what the government does by bold face authoritarianism.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
For those paying attention.

The US government has become the new church.

It's 'morality' is cooler!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I hope he told them to skip past the old testament. There was LOTS of killing going on and they didn't even need to be sick or weak, just non believers, enemy's or innocents who lived in a land not of his people. It's odd he could be so two faced.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This just points out how much religion is based on human culture and current events. Christianity today in America is almost a completely different religion then it was 3 or 4 decades ago. I remember being a christian when I was a kid and it was all about following the bible and not sinning or being selfish. Now it's all about American supremacy, capitalism, and hating gay people, foreigners, Liberals and scientists.

They should just merge Christianity with the Tea Party and be done with it.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Kasich....Smasich. One of the main reasons I left Ohio.

Wonder when Mr. Kasich will come clean about how he supposedly turned Ohio's economy around...Oh, that's right, he really didn't. But he DID go after anyone and anything that may have owed the state money. Especially me.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Kinda goes with that video of the government spending 3 Million to study the World of Warcraft?

As a former MMO developer and very high end player... that study was needed. Even more interesting would be a study on the people who play Eve Online, and how they go to work every day to pay the bills so that they can do digital work in a sci fi setting.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

what mmo? i know it's off topic but it's a subject i'm interested in. and honestly, why should we need government taxes spent on why people play video games, when that same money could be used to do things like update our infrastructure, feed the poor, create jobs, and perhaps restore the social security fund that was raided and the government employee pensions that were raided.

i mean, you guys can't be seriously supporting that? it's theft, off the richter scale theft.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Taxes are not theft. These programs need to exist and they need to be funded, charity alone will not do it. If all taxation were voluntary, what percent of your income would you give to which government programs? Does NASA get 1%? The schools 2%? Maybe .5% for food stamps? Another 1% for road maintenance? How would you divide it up? What percent of people do you think would give anything at all? I know that with video games where the price of purchase is largely optional due to piracy, the average game sees 93% piracy rates, so only 7% of people donate their money. Does that sound like what would happen here?

7% donate, they donate maybe 10% of their income total? Compared to the current system of 100% donating an average of 45% that represents a cut in budgets of 98.33%. Do you think that is reasonable? Should the total budget for feds sum to 67 billion dollars? If you do that you'll never have a functioning government. Like I said before, taxes are not theft, they are rent, and i'll go one further here, they are how you uphold your half of the social contract.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join