It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: Japan's Secret Weapon to Destroy China's J-20 and J-31

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This will eat J31s for breakfast..www.nationalinterest.org...
AND it will be a quality system as well.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: grey580

Why wouldn't Japan remain a close ally?

They haven't forgiven the US for dropping the bombs in 45 .. a severely cowardly and dishonorable act in Japanese eyes..
Many in the ranks still await the day to avenge .. and believe me ..they will ..
Make sure to sleep with one eye open ..

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: junglimogli

According to who?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: junglimogli

a reply to: grey580

Why wouldn't Japan remain a close ally?

They haven't forgiven the US for dropping the bombs in 45 .. a severely cowardly and dishonorable act in Japanese eyes..
Many in the ranks still await the day to avenge .. and believe me ..they will ..
Make sure to sleep with one eye open ..

LOL HAHAHAHAHA!!! They talk about dishonor? Murdering surrendering soldiers,abusings POWs. What was more dishonable? a Japanese leadership hiding behind their people as meat shields seem pretty cowardly.
Only a loser uses the taunt of fight me like a man in warfare. And if you do you are a sucker.

There is a reason the military puts security devices in weapons we sell to allies. designed into most of them in a way that to remove or render inert destroys the system. Its a insurance policy incase someone gets any wild ideas. Of course publicly they say oh no we dont do that but in private yes they do.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

Ya do know that the new 120s have the IR option not to menation can actually use passive radar instead of active and can seek on jamming right?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

We sent them a huge stockpile of uranium so I think they are all set.
Fukushima illustrates the irony or fultility, however.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

They do? That's news to the Air Force. They're practically begging for a new improved missile to replace it.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
Yes history teaches us that now but back during 1940 before the USA joined the war "Bamboo planes" was the intelligence and general view on Japanese aircraft.You are absolutely correct the Japanese built cutting edge planes and continue to do so.With Mitsubishi Heavy Industry behind the latest Stealth fighter it will be a top notch platform once bugs are fixed.Be interesting to see how it goes in flight trials looks a nice nimble little jet.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Fairly sure this isn't actually a thing. Do you have any evidence?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

They do? That's news to the Air Force. They're practically begging for a new improved missile to replace it.

The AIM-120D is an upgraded version of the AMRAAM with improvements in almost all areas, including 50% greater range (than the already-extended range AIM-120C-7) and better guidance over its entire flight envelope yielding an improved kill probability (Pk). Raytheon began testing the D model on August 5, 2008, the company reported that an AIM-120D launched from an F/A-18F Super Hornet passed within lethal distance of a QF-4 target drone at the White Sands Missile Range.[13]

The AIM-120D (P3I Phase 4, formerly known as AIM-120C-8) is a development of the AIM-120C with a two-way data link, more accurate navigation using a GPS-enhanced IMU, an expanded no-escape envelope, improved HOBS (High-Angle Off-Boresight) capability, and a 50% increase in range. The AIM-120D is a joint USAF/USN project, and is currently in the testing phase. The USN was scheduled to field it from 2014, and AIM-120D will be carried by all Pacific carrier groups by 2020, although the 2013 sequestration cuts could push back this later date to 2022.

AMRAAM uses two-stage guidance when fired at long range. The aircraft passes data to the missile just before launch, giving it information about the location of the target aircraft from the launch point and its direction and speed. The missile uses this information to fly on an interception course to the target using its built in inertial navigation system (INS). This information is generally obtained using the launching aircraft's radar, although it could come from an Infra-red search and track system, from a data link from another fighter aircraft, or from an AWACS aircraft.
(see it DOES have a IR option)

After launch, if the firing aircraft or surrogate continues to track the target, periodic updates—such as changes in the target's direction and speed—are sent from the launch aircraft to the missile, allowing the missile to adjust its course, via actuation of the rear fins, so that it is able to close to a self-homing distance where it will be close enough to "catch" the target aircraft in the basket (the missile's radar field of view in which it will be able to lock onto the target aircraft, unassisted by the launch aircraft).

Once the missile closes to self-homing distance, it turns on its active radar seeker and searches for the target aircraft. If the target is in or near the expected location, the missile will find it and guide itself to the target from this point. If the missile is fired at short range, WVR or the near BVR, it can use its active seeker just after launch

Boresight mode (aim 120 d)
Apart from the slave mode, there is a free guidance mode, called boresight. This mode is radar guidance-free, the missile just fires and locks the first thing it sees. This mode can be used for defensive shot, i.e. when the enemy has numerical superiority. SO radar jamming WONT WORK on that mode.

Is that good zap? i think thats all the info on the 120's newest model.

ZAPHOD,and COB. the newest HARM has the seek on jamming and passive radar. Although the AIM 120 does have a similiar ability with the BORESIGHT option.

OOh look at this. the HARM is going to be used as a air to surface killer too.
The Navy's FY 2016 budget included funding for an extended range AARGM-ER that utilizes the existing guidance system and warhead of the AGM-88E with a solid integrated rocket-ramjet for double the range. Development funding will last to 2020.

In September 2015, the AGM-88E successfully hit a mobile ship target in a live-fire test, demonstrating the missile's ability to use anti-radiation homing and millimeter wave radar to detect, identify, locate, and engage moving targets.

edit on 15000000pppm by yuppa because: Adding clarification

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: C0bzz

Fairly sure this isn't actually a thing. Do you have any evidence?

Check my post to zaphod.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I think there might be some confusion in wording of the source material. They are referring to the -120 receiving IRST data from the launch platform during flight via a data link, not as an option built into the missile itself.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

I think there might be some confusion in wording of the source material. They are referring to the -120 receiving IRST data from the launch platform during flight via a data link, not as an option built into the missile itself.

Well even so its using data from the aircraft to give it a ability not built into it right? Anyway the thing about the jamming of the AIM 120 can be beaten by the off boresight mode though still. still its a improvement over block c.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

The launch aircraft has an IRST option, not the missile. I haven't seen a missile yet that has both. You can't put radar and an IR seeker both, because they'd interfere with each other. The IR seeker would have to go on the nose, which would put it in front of the radar, creating a shadow.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The launch aircraft has an IRST option, not the missile. I haven't seen a missile yet that has both. You can't put radar and an IR seeker both, because they'd interfere with each other. The IR seeker would have to go on the nose, which would put it in front of the radar, creating a shadow.

I got ya. Still impressive though with the improvements and its ability to beat jamming and ecm. Hear they are deving a newer one with a ramjet right?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Not anymore. Raytheon had plans to develop one, but the Pentagon wasn't interested in the long run.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

a reply to: FormOfTheLord
The Chinese hypersonic missiles are not going to take out the Japanese air force unless it gets lucky and launches an overwhelming strike and catches all of them on the ground.

Americans vastly underestimate or fail to understand both Russian & Chinese tactics with BVR hypersonic missiles.

They do not aim to take out the entire Japanese Air Force. Just to poke out it's eyes. Japan is acquiring just four E-2D Hawkeye AWACS aircraft with UHF range AN/APY-9 radar. At any given time there will only be one or perhaps two E-2D in the air and that is all the Chinese need to take out.

Because the J-20 presents an RCS one tenth the size of an insect a J-20 will be well within the range of a hypervelocity missile strike on the E-2D before the J-20 itself can be targeted.

edit on 3-3-2017 by sy.gunson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   

It isn't an IRST on the J-20, it is the optical aperture for a Quantum Photon interference radar. These can detect STEALTH aircraft at 62 miles range. Quantum radar is unjammable. Quantum radar excites Photons from the plasma of a cryogenic liquid Berillium crystal trapped in a vacuum.

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: sy.gunson

Because the J-20 presents an RCS one tenth the size of an insect a J-20 will be well within the range of a hypervelocity missile strike on the E-2D before the J-20 itself can be targeted.

Um , no .

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The only battle i can stomach between the japanese and the chinese is over which is better. Spicy tuna roll sushi or orange chicken. Tonkatsu ramen or lo mein.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join