It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: Japan's Secret Weapon to Destroy China's J-20 and J-31

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Revealed: Japan's Secret Weapon to Destroy China's J-20 and J-31

Well this is interesting.

Japan is buying NG E-2D to counter Chinas new crop of stealth fighters.

The article goes on to talk about the benefits of the plane and some of the tech it uses.

And also how the US has made strides with UHF & VHF radars to use for tracking.

And how Japan will also build some AEGIS destroyers that will tie in with the aircraft.

Japan is building up their military. I hope they stay our friends.

Japan is set to acquire four Northrop Grumman E-2D Advanced Hawkeyes airborne early warning aircraft that would nullify the threat of Chinese stealth fighters and afford it a potent missile defense capability. The new aircraft is equipped with a powerful hybrid mechanical/electronically scanned UHF-band radar that will be able to tie into the U.S. Navy’s state-of-the-art Naval Integrated Fire Control—Counter Air (NIFC-CA) battle network.

Japan’s purchase of the E-2D is significant because the capabilities of those two key features. The E-2D’s Lockheed Martin AN/APY-9 UHF-band radar is the central feature of the Advanced Hawkeye. Both friend and foe alike have touted UHF radars as an effective countermeasure to stealth technology. One early public example of that is a paper prepared by Arend Westra that appeared in the National Defense University’s Joint Forces Quarterly academic journal in the 4th quarter issue of 2009. “It is the physics of longer wavelength and resonance that enables VHF and UHF radar to detect stealth aircraft,” Westra wrote in his article titled Radar vs. Stealth.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
All well and good purchasing a couple of radars, but I really don't think Japan could beat China by detecting their stealth fighters.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

The purchase of the planes is part of a much larger strategy.

They have other things in the works that the planes will integrate with.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The Japanese AAM-4B air to air missile is one of the best and most capable air to air missiles in the world. The only missile currently better than it is the Israeli Python 5. The AAM-5 will be the most capable IR missile anywhere in the world.
edit on 10/6/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Why wouldn't Japan remain a close ally?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

The purchase of the planes is part of a much larger strategy.

They have other things in the works that the planes will integrate with.

Wonder if that means they are following on with what the Israelis did with their Air defense projects.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Why wouldn't Japan remain a close ally?

Politics.

Unfortunately, there is already one prefecture ripe for riling up anti-US sentiment. Once Japan perceives herself as strong enough, some politico will use that to their advantage. It won't take long for that to spread once the fervor starts.

Individually we are quite intelligent, in groups we are dumb and easily manipulated.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Japan will always remain a close ally. They're too closely tied to our defense industry, and too reliant on our companies for support. Yes they're building their own weapons systems, but their biggest projects are related to our systems. The Aegis is ours, the BMD is ours, their tankers are ours, their fighters are ours, etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I believe that officially apologizing for Hiroshima and Nagasaki will go a long way in ensuring a lasting relationship with the Japanese people. I don't think we should apologize for bombing them, it was a necessary act to bring a very proud people to their knees and prevent much more bloodshed. I do think we should apologize for at times forgetting the pain it caused the people that lost their loved ones in that attack. For the chest beating that some Americans are guilty of doing from time to time.
Death and war are sometimes necessary, but never cruelty. You can be joyful of your victory, but never rejoice in the killing of men for any reason.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Despite whatever weaponry barr nuclear China would always defeat Japan just on sheer numbers alone.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

The Japanese AAM-4B air to air missile is one of the best and most capable air to air missiles in the world. The only missile currently better than it is the Israeli Python 5. The AAM-5 will be the most capable IR missile anywhere in the world.

Not relevant to the thread, but I have to ask. How does the European Meteor stack up to the Python-5?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang
All well and good purchasing a couple of radars, but I really don't think Japan could beat China by detecting their stealth fighters.

A full-one military invasion starts by taking out the air defences (radars, missile launchers) with stealth fighters. Then other aircraft like bombers can move in. But if you have advance warning that stealth fighters are coming, that makes this strategy high cost.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgered1

There's not really a comparison. The Python is an IR missile, with near BVR capabilities, while Meteor is radar homing. There have been talks with Japan to incorporate the seeker from the AAM-4B on Meteor, making it that much more capable.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure the japanese have a pretty advanced arsenal. Pitching Japan and China together, I wouldn't necessarily bet on China. I bet Japan would pretty well on it's own, even without the US aid.

Concerning this, I suspect this is the US "placing" the plane in Japan, rather than the Japanese buying it. They want to have an early detection of China's "stragetic" flight patterns. And probably more ...

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
An interesting development! This should help shore up any holes Japanese defense. Great thread. S+F.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

No, the Japanese are buying a lot of new equipment. They just awarded Boeing a contract for four KC-46 tankers to add to their four KC-767s, ordered five V-22s with an option for 12 more, 4 E-2Ds to supplement their E-767s, and three RQ-4 Global Hawk UAVs.
edit on 10/6/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I wish I had your sources of information. Reading your replies leaves me with a feeling of ambitious and found wanting to know more. Your one of the few here on ATS that is the reason I come here for information. I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge. That aside, I too am a huge fan of airplaines, fighters, bombers, but only up to WW2 Era planes.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CrimsonKing79

A lot of it is open source, and putting the picture together. You have to look in six or seven different places, and take the bits and pieces and put them together like a puzzle.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Lets hope that history never repeats?
Mid 1800's...One group of samurai advocated cooperation with the West—open the country to learn how to make Western weapons in order to defend Japan from the West. The other group advocated resisting the West no matter what the costs—forerunners of General Araki’s “bamboo spear” theory. In 1868, the former group came to power and Japan began to remake itself on the Western model—but keep in mind that the reform group’s goal in remaking Japan using Western models was to defend Japan from the West. Members of both groups were nationalists reacting to what they saw as excessive and unwanted Western interference in their country’s affairs.
japanfocus.org...
Also around 1902 didn't Japan have an alliance with Great Britain? yet by the 1940's allied POW's were death marching and building bridges...

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

Despite whatever weaponry barr nuclear China would always defeat Japan just on sheer numbers alone.

YEah and how praytell do thos enumbers get to japan in the fist place? Invasion ships are easily sank and AIrcraft shot down by AEGIS. It would be a bloodbath for china.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join