It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America needs more guns to prevent shootings. Lets learn from Switzerland.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

Agree. But,

There has to be other countries that have the individualistic shooter.

Why do they not have the same problem we do? or do they?

Surprised that throwing knives, stars, and brass knuckles are banned, but thats besides the point.
edit on 6-10-2015 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It's not just gun laws though.

The swiss have a much better healthcare system including care for Mental Health. That's the key.

They also have a much, much lower unemployment rate and higher standard of living.

We know that Gun controls-background checks etc are important, the swiss have that. We know that Gun ownership is important, the swiss own us on that. We know that healthcare for mentally ill is important. The swiss dominate us on that and we know that crime increases in direct proportion to economic crises. The swiss destroy us on that.

So that's the story. We need to be sensible on Guns. We can do that. But the difference between us and other countries is mental healthcare and economics/standard of living.

Where is Gun Crime highest?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TinkerHaus

You don't find it interesting these guys pick gun free zones the vast majority of the time

I believe they pick schools and colleges they have previously attended with some sort of grievance or revenge in mind.

If they are gun free or not is by the by.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

This keeps getting parroted and it simply ignores everything about most shootings and the connections that the shooter usually had with the targets.

Obviously there are exceptions and on both sides. Like this most recent shooting did not take place in a gun free zone.
You could absolutely carry on that campus.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Switzerland has the highest Gun per Person ratio and the least gun violence. How is this?

Because all adult males are required to serve in the Militia. They are all trained in gun safety and management, and, until recently, material conditions were comfortable enough that no-one needed to resort to crime.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This keeps getting parroted and it simply ignores everything about most shootings and the connections that the shooter usually had with the targets.

Obviously there are exceptions and on both sides. Like this most recent shooting did not take place in a gun free zone.
You could absolutely carry on that campus.

Only if you chose to disobey campus rules!

State law yes, campus rules NO! So stop spreading lies!

The campus WAS a gun free zone due to campus rules!
edit on 6-10-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

Agree. But,

There has to be other countries that have the individualistic shooter.

Why do they not have the same problem we do? or do they?

Surprised that throwing knives, stars, and brass knuckles are banned, but thats besides the point.

I say you look at the big pharmaceutical companies and mental health industries, pumping our children full of meds for things like ADD. Don't know but I bet you we are the most medicated country in the world and I bet our children are as well. Can't see changing the chemical make up of a child's brain isn't a bad thing, especially since these days a kid who does anything needs to be drugged and the terrible parents in the US allow it.

Can't be the overuse of prescription medication though. It's an object that can't do anything on its own. People are too funny

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

It wasn't a gun free zone, people could not get in trouble for carrying, so the shooter would not be able to assume no one had it.
Basically the school asked people not to carry.

So the only lie here is to say it was gun free, when it was in fact far from it.

It WAS NOT a gun free zone.

I can type in caps too, does that make it right?
www.rawstory.com...

“You are allowed to conceal and carry on that campus,” said Umpqua student and part-time wildland firefighter Jeremy Smith, 24. “It’s not a gun-free zone.”

“When I got into the room that was locked down, one of the professors asked if anyone was concealed carry,” said student John Parker, an Air Force veteran, who had a gun on his hip.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

You don't find it interesting these guys pick gun free zones the vast majority of the time

I believe they pick schools and colleges they have previously attended with some sort of grievance or revenge in mind.

If they are gun free or not is by the by.

dont see many gun range mass shootings, or police departments being shot up, or hunting stores being rampaged through....

The military base shootings they KNEW they wouldnt be armed, not unless they were MPs

.just saying
edit on 10/6/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Indeed this may be the case, but the US government are the ones who want to review your gun laws and to impose restrictions, so I think this is the elephant that needs to be addressed because regardless of what is posted on ATS or any other site, the US government wants to change the gun laws of the United States of America and by virtue of that fact, the 2nd amendment as well.

Cold hard FACT.

So, like projectvxn said, its a culture thing. And it's a discipline thing and it's a mental health thing.

I just hope my friends in the US are smart enough to engage this subject logically lest you be left with NO GUNS and no 2nd amendment, or severe restrictions like chipped, tracked and annual mental stability evaluations and a limit on the number of guns you can have.

The ball is in the court of the American people.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I don't think anyone here actually gives a damn what I posted.

It has long been an established fact that economics, education, and health care issues contribute greatly and deeply to criminality and violence levels in society.

The problem is that it is a hard conversation to have.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The ball is in your court like Sublimecraft has pointed out, the reality is airing your concerns on here will not make any difference, while you government is working hard to take your guns off you, and setting the stage to allow you to give in your guns.

Do you really want your guns? How serious are you about it? Than you know, do anything you can to avoid the government taking your guns, a mass peaceful rally can bring the point across.

However, it's a good thing, that you still have your guns.

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The real truth is that all this talk about taking away the second is just msm filler.

They can jack with this or that but they do not have the power to deal with the repercussions of taking guns.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Waiting for that link...

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So you're saying minorities are responsible for the majority of gun violence?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

So you agree, guns present in gun free zones, prevent death to innocents.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

haha yeah!

What, are they going to send SWAT teams to every gun owner not giving up their gun and preaching

"you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Excellent OP, I fully agree.

Mental health is a separate issue, dont blame the guns when it is the toxic food/substances causing the problem.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Educated populations also have lower crime rates...

PUT the energy/bitchin into the lack of proper education, not guns as the biggest cause of mass killings and gun violence.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Switzerland also doesnt have the problems that come from having numerous racial groups that the U.S. does.

Racially homogenous societies are best societies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join