It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Addictions Are A Choice You Make

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
or maybe, if you make a conscious choice to stop doing something and are able to stop doing it maybe you weren`t really addicted to begin with?
I guess the real debate here is what defines addiction?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Technically I can be considered an alcoholic. I crave that beer after day shift at work, and crave it the morning after the evening shift. But I never go over board with the substance.

I think the word you are looking for OP is abuse of something, whether it be a drug, video game etc. Anything can be abused really.

But some people who get themselves so in deep with a substance because of abuse, they become addicted, and it's more than a mental craving, it's a physical one, your organs and body are dependant on it, chronic alcoholics drinking 8+ units a day with binge drinking here or there for example need it to literally survive, or they could die.
There are so many factors involved it's not easy to pin point the exact issue behind the addiction, it's literally a case by case situation, everyone is different.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegreeAddictions Are A Choice You Make

Absolute egoic imaginary balderdash!
We make no 'choices', ever!
We FEEL AS IF we make a choice!
There is a world of difference between the two!
Feelings are thoughts are imagination is EGO! Vanity!

If we really made these 'choices' all the punishment and torture and imprisonment and spankings would have left us with a peaceful loving world! We would 'choose' the less painful route, is the theory.
Obviously history and the news tells us that we make no such 'choices', that the theory is wrong!
That nonsense is all vanity, imagination! Ego!
Nothing more than that.

When did you 'choose' your addiction to air?
edit on 7-10-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Hmm I doubt crack babies had a choice.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Addictions Are A Choice You Make - same sort of statment as:

being gay or straight is a choice
wealth or poverty is a choice
mental health is a choice (both ways)
etc.

I would hate to be in the shoes of those who make statements like these because all these kinds of statements exhibit a remarkable lack of expereince at the busienss of living life. Why?

Because live is a very complicated busienss and there is a lot more to life than what meets the eye but obviously some people have yet to learn this.

cheers

top topics

<< 1   >>

join