It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignorant Liberal Speaks out on Gun Control

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
If liberals really cared about lowering gun homicides, violent crime, and mass shootings then they wouldn't shut down policies that would upset their voters (great examples would be trying to get rid of stop and frisk, actually tackle the problem of black on black crime,left wing media figures who try to downplay that issue/twist themselves into a pretzel trying to defend some pretty horrifying stats). It's sad to see so many gun control supporters who support a national gun registry but disagree with something like a mental health registry.
edit on 7-10-2015 by nancyliedersdeaddog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

Addressing your points one by one:

1. You address two concerns here. One is self defense, and that is a valid reason to own a gun. With all of the home invasions, and the utter brutality of those committing them, it isn't unreasonable to assume that someone breaking in when you are home means you serious harm. Thus, shooting them under such circumstances is not unreasonable. I hope I never have to shoot anyone, but I will, if I need to. Someone entering my home uninvited is a threat, to me, and more importantly, to my children, and I will tolerate no such threat. There isn't time in a situation of that sort to ask the person if they intend harm, and they can get to you faster than you think. There is a rule, the 21-foot rule, taught in classes, which is relevant. That's how far away someone can be and still get to you before you can draw and fire. How many rooms in a home are longer than 21 feet?

The other point you address here is that of defending against a government gone bad. The point of the Second Amendment was primarily for just such a purpose. The nation was founded because the government of England was, for the settlers, out of control. When rights are suppressed on a daily basis, people have a valid reason to be concerned. That concern does not mean, however, that these people just want to "blow a dude away". Such a comment is completely off base, and frankly, inflammatory.

I don't think that people talking about a willingness to defend themselves is "bloodthirsty" at all. Again, I find that inflammatory. And, no, gun owners do not see themselves as 80's action stars. That's simply ridiculous.

2. No, the question does not boil down to, " should you be able to end my life at any time, just because?" Again, inflammatory, and beyond ridiculous. Shooting someone in defense of home, family, life, or country is not "just because". and claiming it is shows either a desire to rick people off, or a serious lack of understanding of the issue.

3. The issues with the shootings are not the issues you seem to think they are. That really is a whole other issue, for a whole other thread. There are plenty of those here already. Read and learn, is my suggestion. A few quick points -

a. These shootings nearly always occur in places with "no guns" rules and expectations. Obviously, to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention, the shooters don't care about the rules. The only result is defenseless victims.
b. Criminals that want guns don't care if the guns are legal or not. If they want them, they do get them, and strict gun purchasing and owning laws, again, only make defenseless victims.
c. Claiming that anyone who shoots a lot of people has a "mental issue" is a dodge. Some of them, most of them, are simply hate-filled jerks, that don't have any respect for anyone else. The "mental issue" aspect is simply a way to label anyone the authorities don't want armed.
d. Related to the end of c, fascist government always take guns from people right before killing large numbers of their own people. That is the primary reason governments want to control guns. History proves this.

4. a. Guns are more efficient and that is [bold]the[/bold] reason that people should have them for self defense. Do you honestly expect a tiny little coed, or an elderly person, or someone with a physical disability, to try and defend against a larger, stronger, more capable person intent on doing them harm? It simply doesn't work. Owning a gun means someone less capable can actually defend themselves. A gun evens the odds. Unless you are comfortable with criminals being able to do whatever they want, you should not have a problem with people owning guns.
b. Now you want to blame a tool? So, if someone drowns another person in a pool, will you demand pools are banned? How about hammers? Pencils? Baseball bats? Credit cards? Knives? Heavy decorative objects? Bathtubs? Razors? Pillows? Rocks? Sticks? All of these things can be used to kill. Comparing a weapon to a hazardous material is apples to pizzas. You don't even get oranges there.

No, the "entire point of our existence" is not avoiding dangerous things. If you want to live that way, go for it, but you cannot demand the world be made safe for you. It isn't possible, first, and, second, it isn't reasonable.

At least the title makes some sense.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Another thread with a self proclaimed "Liberal" who advocates taking away peoples rights. That word has become quite an oxymoron.
edit on 7-10-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I was right there with you, until....

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
c. Claiming that anyone who shoots a lot of people has a "mental issue" is a dodge. Some of them, most of them, are simply hate-filled jerks, that don't have any respect for anyone else.

Hate filled jerks that don't have any respect for anyone else obviously have mental issues. Most of us in the US have issues, but some issues make hate filled jerks that don't have any respect for anyone else.

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
The "mental issue" aspect is simply a way to label anyone the authorities don't want armed.

That’s called gun control. Keep the sharp objects away from the nutters.

We are simply primates, mammals. We are born into the cycle of insanity you see all around you. We are fed fairy tales, gods, religion, idols, and racism before we can think for ourselves. We are neglected, manipulated, and abused mentally, physically, and sexually. This happens because at some point, the perpetrator feels benefit. Mammals respond enthusiastically to benefit. It’s rare to find someone raised in a rational loving manner. Even then, they often fall prey to consumerism.

edit on 7-10-2015 by gentledissident because: clarity

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
" You can't deny that certain people, especially on a site like this, do seem a bit bloodthirsty when they talk about their government making them 'safe'. It doesn't sound very reasonable at all. "

Fixed for accuracy.

Those that worship at the alter of statolatry will never know what freedom means.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar

2. Obviously we are talking about weaponry here and the whole concept pretty much boiling down to the question " should you be able to end my life at any time, just because?" Heh, not sure I feel comfortable with that idea. As a general rule I enjoy existing.

Well if you're really worried about legal gun owners ending your life at any time, then you should probably just avoid breaking into their homes, pulling a gun or knife on them, or generally threatening their and their family's lives with deadly force.

Myself and about 95% of my friends and family all own guns. Not a single one of us walks around just looking for people to kill at random.

If you break into my home though, I am NOT going to try and assess your intentions and be the therapist/parent who needed to give you a hug. Chances are, if you're willing to enter an occupied home in the USA, you are equipped with deadly force, and I will be removing the threat to my family ASAP.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
What has been happening the past several days makes me wonder if marching orders may have been handed out ....just saying that it makes me wonder.
There certainly have been a lot of threads promoting gun control.

And let's be very clear, when they say gun "control" they mean banning and confiscating guns from individuals. That is their end game. Of course the ruling elite and their enforcers will be allowed to have guns.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
when *I* say "gun control" i mean the eight steady hold factors of basic rifle marksmanship

edit on 7-10-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunarAvoiding things that are dangerous is literally the entire point of our existence. We Take precautions every day to make sure that we and the people around us are as safe as possible. It comes down to the question "do I think that you should be able to channel kinetic energy in such a way that it can instantly end my life?"

I do...Under certain circumstances...If you catch me in your home, seeing I killed your wife and I am in the process of raping your daughter, do YOU then think you should be able to channel kinetic energy in such a way that it can instantly end my life??? And if I didn't kill you when I was done, you would wait to see if I got caught and would wait for my day in court???

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: nancyliedersdeaddog
If liberals really cared about lowering gun homicides, violent crime, and mass shootings then they wouldn't shut down policies that would upset their voters (great examples would be trying to get rid of stop and frisk, actually tackle the problem of black on black crime,left wing media figures who try to downplay that issue/twist themselves into a pretzel trying to defend some pretty horrifying stats). It's sad to see so many gun control supporters who support a national gun registry but disagree with something like a mental health registry.

Apparently talks of it need a better protocol. There has been abuses within attempted, but not legal actions on gun owners. One such as; VA wanted to take Veteran's guns .
edit on 8-10-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Here are a few instances of pretty mass casualty stabbings in recent history.

www.rt.com... - 8 dead

www.cnn.com... - 29 dead

en.wikipedia.org... - 8 dead

There are plenty more and I can keep going....plenty with 8 or so dead as well. Just saying....it isn't the gun, and knives kill just as effectively.

Here is just China from 2010-2012....

en.wikipedia.org...(2010%E2%80%9312)

No guns...just knives....but yeah.....guns HAVE to be the issue here....couldn't be the person with the weapon right?

Maybe these people were all angry they couldn't get guns so they used knives to prove a point?

What they don't want to tell you that is when guns are banned and knife attacks sky rocket, knives over a certain length will be banned, no machetes, no survival knives, nothing but a 3 inch folding blade.

Umm isnt this the way it is in the UK?

It will never end.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
What has been happening the past several days makes me wonder if marching orders may have been handed out to the progressives by their handlers. I am not saying that this is the case, just saying that it makes me wonder.
There certainly have been a lot of threads promoting gun control.

Where were all of these threads when Chicago set records for gun murders, albeit by people that were not legally possessing those guns?

Good question.

It does not fit their plan to talk about that.

Sense the ban on booze worked so well...
And the War on Drugs worked so well...

Now they need to get those gun taken care of now.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

2. Obviously we are talking about weaponry here and the whole concept pretty much boiling down to the question " should you be able to end my life at any time, just because?" Heh, not sure I feel comfortable with that idea. As a general rule I enjoy existing.

What the hell is this? This is why we can never ever see eye to eye on this issues, the thought process is way different.

First of all "Just because", SIR, you BROKE into my house, that isn't reason enough?

I have no idea what your goal is, you may think your hear to borrow $20, but what if you are here to murder me and my family? Happens all the time, why should I assume you are harmless when you crashed my window and entered my house?

Seriously explain yourself.

Hind sight is 20/20 but in the moment you are Charles Mansion and must be neutralized before harm can come to anybody.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: VVV88And let's be very clear, when they say gun "control" they mean banning and confiscating guns from individuals. That is their end game. Of course the ruling elite and their enforcers will be allowed to have guns.

I never understood why liberals could not comprehend that reality? It must have something to do with a possible mental illness. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

The only real difference between guns and other objects people would use for whatever is that guns project force over a distance. Once the trigger is pulled and the round is headed downrange, there is little that can change the trajectory of the projectile, and what may alter that trajectory may send it in a direction that may not have been intended and it may harm innocent bystanders and property.

A lot of people should not own guns because they have too little understanding of this, but this can be remedied.

The true appeal is force projection over a distance, and a gun can be a deterrent without ever having to pull the trigger at all.

I have been in a position in the past where people did not mess with me because they simply knew I had firearms in my tool box.

Guns are only tools.

Tools (as in stupid people) are trigger happy.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join