It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed Already Looking at Placing Fiber Laser on F-35

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Lockheed is looking at placing a fiber laser on the F-35. It would be a derivative of its work for the US Army (hear the air force screaming? I do). They are so confident that their fiber laser tech is the way to go, they are even investing in a production line.

I'd speculate the basic frame of the B would be used, but rather than a lift fan, the laser would be dropped in with the turboshaft generator. Perfect world, you'd have a beam director dorsal and ventral, but the cost, weight and volume might be a nonstarter. So, would that constitute a D model?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

That was actually the plan from almost the start. Remove the lift fan and you Gerry extra room as everything else is already run through other areas of the fuselage, unlike the A and C. They just didn't have a workable laser until recently.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They will probably need to swap out the engine though. Rather than the -600, they may really need the ADVENT engine due to the reduced fuel onboard. The As and Cs use that volume for fuel, right?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Yeah. ADVENT is almost ready to test on the F-35. It's already large sized for bomber sized aircraft, now they're shrinking it.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Is there any link between the ADVENT engine and the YF-120? I seemed to recall it used some of the concepts ADVENT has but probably not as well.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The YF-120 is the predecessor of the ADVENT. Essentially the same advanced engineering GE team working on it.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

That was actually the plan from almost the start. Remove the lift fan and you Gerry extra room as everything else is already run through other areas of the fuselage, unlike the A and C. They just didn't have a workable laser until recently.

Zaphod is correct. The original plan called for only a 100kw solid state laser fitting in the vertical lift fan bay but now the USAF is calling for a 300kw unit which sets the goal back a bit.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: coldstar

Then can we imagine that was the plan all along and that probably the later generations will forgo the vertical lift concept? After all, there is no question which is the most advanced a/c.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun
You can imagine all you like, but no, forgoing the "vertical fan lift concept" was not the plan all along as the Navy/Marines need the VSTOL option for their peculiar set of operations. Supersonic fighter/bombers with vertical lift on a WASP class assault ship is the holy grail to the US Marines.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Modular is the key.Having the ability to rapidly swap out systems across the whole range of aircraft with minimal compatability problems is a big plus.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
Lockheed is looking at placing a fiber laser on the F-35. It would be a derivative of its work for the US Army (hear the air force screaming? I do). They are so confident that their fiber laser tech is the way to go, they are even investing in a production line.

I'd speculate the basic frame of the B would be used, but rather than a lift fan, the laser would be dropped in with the turboshaft generator. Perfect world, you'd have a beam director dorsal and ventral, but the cost, weight and volume might be a nonstarter. So, would that constitute a D model?

You mean the Trillion dollar boondoggle that doesn't work? Yeah!

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Flyback to whatever forum you came from.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Please provide current proof that the plane isn't working. (Not articles from 2010)

We will wait.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: coldstar

I think eventually you will see fiber lasers in a targeting pod sized enclosure. Down the road of course. I doubt we would even need to remove the fan once we are ready to move to directed energy warfare.

It sure will bring new meaning to her surname, The Lightning.

Very real talks are also happening about directed energy countermeasures for the F-15 and -22, in a short amount of time. Wonder where they'll be placed on those frames? Any ideas?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

The Air Force has stated they are going to build a laser pod PDQ (by 2020) for the 4th gen fighters. It's likely to be something like the HELLADS and used for self defense (missile coming? pshaw) and soft target kills.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

HELLADS is destined for an AC-130 or B-1 type platform for interdiction and CAS. It's a larger weapon which I believe is focused towards light armor and structure. The fiber lasers LM has opened an experimental production line for is going to be used for air to air and ACM. At least this is my understanding.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
soon FELs will be portable enough: phys.org...

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I say i say how do you liek your russian stealth fighter cooked son? Deep fried or extra crispy?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Please provide current proof that the plane isn't working. (Not articles from 2010)

We will wait.

Like these from 2015:

www.businessinsider.com...

www.businessinsider.com...

www.airforcetimes.com...

A multifuntion miliary aircraft is about as functional in a operating environment as are multifunction printers. Decent for home or small office use but not where reliablity, indurance and stability are required - such as a 'real' war.

Sorry boys - this one is a loser (except for the profiteers).

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Yeah, you're right a multifunction aircraft like the F-15E, F-18, and F-16 is useless in combat.

The engine audit was from 2014. The ALIS system has the same problem non computerized maintenance has right now. The biggest part of problems are CND on the ground.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join