It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religions don't kill people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I've noticed a number of religion critic posts recently which are largely missing the point imho.

For me (as an atheist) religions are a natural result of social interaction, a method to achieve compliance (and harmony) within a group. And they are by far not the only way to do so, although historically probably the most popular ones.

In general though any ideology (set of ideals, principles, doctrines, myths) can be used to exploit group behavior for good or evil.

We are social animals, and as such prone to conformity. For some impressive social experiments see: Asch conformity experiments, Milgram experiment, Stanford prison experiment and maybe The Third Wave experiment.

Thus if there was something to criticize religions for, it would probably be their general lack of self reflection, insight in how they affect social behavior and how they are prone to abuse.

Feel free to believe, but beware of side effects.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

But they sure are used as an excuse to kill people...

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Religions are a mechanism of control to keep the proles in line. And yes, religions kill people. Christianity has probably murdered more people over the centuries than any other religion. "Kill them all and let god sort them out", is a christian concept. (Carcassonne) The Jews and Moslems are now trying hard to catch up.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

A concept I have seen Christians actually say on ATS also.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I can't argue with you because you are basically correct. I will say though that the intentions of most religions are not to kill, but you're damned right that zealous bigots pervert it into a tool of fear and hatred.
edit on 5-10-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Cant say i disagree with you , religions don't kill people . But if you believe in the god of your choice it would be fair to say that your god does . You know , because he is all knowing .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
If it weren't for some of the consequences, I would say that I find threads like this humorous.

I'll just say this, as it is fresh in my mind.....

I'm a Catholic and as I've said in other threads, although I'm Catholic it doesn't mean I necessarily buy everything the Vatican is selling.

That being said, just yesterday during Mass I looked around the church at all the different people in attendance. Some of whom I know and most of which I do not. As I looked at all the different faces (or backs of their heads if they were seated in front of me) I wondered who these people were. What were they like? What do they like about the Church and more specifically, what do they think about our Parish in particular?

My point is, so often I see people on ATS and elsewhere (including in the real world) where people say (paraphrase), "Catholics think this" or "Muslims think that," etc. You (everyone, not You the OP) do realize that, as a possibly weak comparison, just as fans of a particular sports team will not all agree on moves that "their" team makes, not everyone of a certain religion are all "the same."

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Science will fly you to the moon
Religion will fly you into buildings.

I was raised Catholic, I am now a non-believer however I do enjoy watching religious rituals..They're interesting.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Rappers do (glc massive in da hoose)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Charles manson didn't kill people either...

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Religions don't kill people
Of course you are correct, you see, it's PEOPLE that kill people.

Those same people sometimes adhere to Religious dogma that tells them to kill people. Others are influenced by pharmaceuticals and still others by racist and/or bigoted ideals.

BUT, when it comes to killing people, 2 groups stand out among all others as the kings of human death - Politicians give the green light and their militaries unleashes death.

Statistically, those 2 groups of people, since recorded history, kill the most people.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It's not the Religion....it's the ones who practice said religion.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

Science will fly you to the moon
Religion will fly you into buildings.

I was raised Catholic, I am now a non-believer however I do enjoy watching religious rituals..They're interesting.

Creativity will fly you to the moon.
Insanity will fly you into buildings.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Coagula

Charles manson didn't kill people either...

In a nutshell.

Religious ideology shapes minds to think a certain way. It lays a foundation which every other thought is built on. Every religion is "right", and the "only way" to god. Religion teaches separatism and division. Which in turn breeds an elitist mindset, which fosters attitudes of privilege and "favor". Anyone not part of the religion becomes second class. Second class people are to be pitied at best, and hated at worst. Religion is a gradual journey to the dark side. In and of itself, religion kills no one, but it is a very useful tool to get its adherents to kill, maim, and destroy.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
Religions are a mechanism of control to keep the proles in line. And yes, religions kill people. Christianity has probably murdered more people over the centuries than any other religion. "Kill them all and let god sort them out", is a christian concept. (Carcassonne) The Jews and Moslems are now trying hard to catch up.

In the same post you show about the same level of computationally challenged ability as Carcassonne. "it is a Christian concept". Then cite Carcassonne. An individual. NOT Christianity.

Insanity exists in the religious community. It exists outside the religious community. The criticism either way merely increases that insanity.

Kudos for adding to it....

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

In the same post you show about the same level of computationally challenged ability as Carcassonne. "it is a Christian concept". Then cite Carcassonne. An individual. NOT Christianity.

Insanity exists in the religious community. It exists outside the religious community. The criticism either way merely increases that insanity.

Kudos for adding to it.

Kudos for the best quote in the thread.

Let's make the division deeper and wider with
our snarky little comments and say it's
the other guy who is engaging in
hate speech.

So true!

And now for your entertainment:
the snarks begin
Religious people are the cause of
all the ills in the world, I get it.

Let the fun begin while you widen
and deepen the chasm between
people and foster distrust
foster hated.

Keep having fun and ignore
the consequences, oh right
there are no consequences for
you, only for the people who
you are disparaging, oh right,
not disparaging, not creating more
animosity,
just exploring your own faith.
Got it. Explore away.

edit on 8Mon, 05 Oct 2015 08:28:10 -0500am100510amk051 by grandmakdw because: deletion

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

And yes, religions kill people.

All this time I thought it was people that killed people....

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

In summary, and correction, everything can be subverted....and is.

That, sir, is the manifestation of insanity. Do you really think the prophets intended this result? Sorry...NOT.

By your logic any attempt at improving the understanding, awareness or perception of humanity, therefore opens the door to an "I know more than you" mentality and, per force, to be avoided at all costs???

Back into the caves people! Your being elitist!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

In summary, and correction, everything can be subverted....and is.

Agreed.

That, sir, is the manifestation of insanity.

You lost me here. What part of the post is the definition of insanity? Subversion? Or something else?

Do you really think the prophets intended this result? Sorry...NOT.

Considering the OT prophets claimed to speak for God, and they were responsible for Israel going to war with, and wiping out whole cultures. Including women, children, and animals. Just what was the intention of the prophets? Was Samuel really acting on the words of God when he cut Agag into pieces?
Was Elijah really obeying God when he murdered 450 priests of Baal after they repented, and pledged their allegiance to the Hebrew God?
Was Elisha really representative of God when he cursed the boys that mocked him, and 2 bears killed them afterward?

By your logic any attempt at improving the understanding, awareness or perception of humanity, therefore opens the door to an "I know more than you" mentality and, per force, to be avoided at all costs???

One does not "attempt to improve humanity" by telling them they're eternally condemned if they don't think like you, and become like you. One does not "attempt to improve humanity" by coercing them to live by a theology that purports to save humanity on the one hand, yet seeks to utterly destroy it on the other, so the few who remain can inherit the earth, and go back to the stone age.

Back into the caves people! Your being elitist!!!

Exactly.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

You never miss an opportunity to play the victim card do you?....

Belief that an all powerful being will somehow look after you once you croak can make people do some of the worst acts imaginable, and religion is the main peddler of such beliefs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join