It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No: 269, 05 October 2015, Press Release Regarding the Violation of Turkish Airspace by a Russian Fed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

A fighter aircraft belonging to the Russian Federation violated Turkish airspace at 12:08 on 3 October 2015 south of the Yayladağı/Hatay region. The Russian aircraft exited Turkish airspace into Syria after it was intercepted by two F-16s from the Turkish Air Force, which were conducting patrols in the region.

The Acting Undersecretary of the Ministry summoned the Ambassador of the Russian Federation in Ankara to the Ministry and strongly protested this violation, demanded that any such violation not be repeated and affirmed that, otherwise, the Russian Federation will be responsible for any undesired incident that may occur.

No: 269, 05 October 2015, Press Release Regarding the Violation of Turkish Airspace by a Russian Federation Aircraft

I am glad that Russia are involved in Syria as they do appear to be making some progress with regards to ISIS (certainly on the face of it seem to be achieving more than the coalition have managed in the past 12 months). However, it also frightens me because of incidents like this. If these sort of things keep happening, or God forbid, if there is an accident and anyone from the coalition are hurt, it could be the start of things heating up even further! I just wish the coalition would work with Russian and Iran with the common goal of getting rid of ISIS and then sort Assad out at a later date. Assad at the moment I believe is the lesser of two evils.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Well, the one thing this goes to show is that the Russians are as renegade as the Americans in combat.

Please Lord may the two find a way to work together because it aint gonna be pretty if they clash!

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I still wonder what back door agreement was made for Russian boots in Syria and/or if Russia fell for the old quagmire routine.

On the face of things it's hard to discern who is cahooting with whom.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
It could have been a message ,that yes we are here and very close to your border . We apologize and will keep our distance in the future . Please make sure you do the same ,because we are in control of the Syrian air space as a request of the Syrian Govt . Oh and the Syrian Kurds are under the shy's we are protecting . Now back to our regular bombing mission ...out

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
It could have been a message ,that yes we are here and very close to your border . We apologize and will keep our distance in the future . Please make sure you do the same ,because we are in control of the Syrian air space as a request of the Syrian Govt . Oh and the Syrian Kurds are under the shy's we are protecting . Now back to our regular bombing mission ...out

Or....Turkey is making a public announcement to make the sheep believe they're not permitting Russia to fly in the airspace, when in fact they are. Gotta keep up appearances and the grand theatrical storyline going.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Doubtful...

Turkey hates Assad and wants him gone. They are not happy with Russian involvement in Syria, let alone propping up Assad's government. Turkey is not going to allow Russia use of its airspace and I would bet that if it happens again Turkey is going to take action beyond interception and filing a diplomatic protest.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I have wondered if Russia might be in on a bigger plan with Turkey .But there seem to be "other" signs that they are not .Turkey seems to be the only one that has this negative attitude for the Kurds .Turkey is also part of NATO and is the main host of ISIS . Turkey has shown nothing short of hypocrisy and is where Satans seat is :>) Sybil Edmonds keeps a close tab on them and for good reasons I think . Erdogan has a very low approval in his own country and is only making a noise until the next election ,when he and his party will probably not survive .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Russia says violation of Turkish airspace was ‘navigation error’

Russia sure does seem to have a lot of navigation "errors" when it comes to their armed forces...

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Not if you believe the wests claims that Russia is a failed state and builds inferior equipment . But if Turkey wont allow for small errors in navigations then I am sure their superior NATO/US equipment wont allow them to venture over the border and so it can be taken as a act of aggression and not error . I think Israel made a trip to Russia to talk about the same sort of stuff and may have a better understanding then Turkey .
edit on 5-10-2015 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Its either navigation errors, as Russia says, or the violations are intentional which presents a bigger problem. I was also referring to Russian navigation errors as a whole and not just linked to Syria. As for what the west reports I would point out that Russia has made statements about its navigation errors so what the west reports is not completely inaccurate.

Turkey seems to take violation of its airspace very seriously in terms of armed aircraft from other nations hopping in for a quick visit, especially Syria and now Russia. Turkey is not happy over the Tartar / Crimea issue (I raise this point to support my position and nothing more. I don't wanna derail the thread on that issue).

Looks like the breach lasted 2 minutes and was a few hundred meters inside Turkey. The Turkish F16's intercepted to identify who the aircraft belonged to. Once confirmed as Russian it left Turkish airspace.

As for Russia and Israel from what I read they met to discuss the Russian military presence and to communicate to avoid any incidents. While Turkey filed a protest I can see Israel downing a foreign military aircraft in its airspace.

The ministry summoned Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov and strongly protested the violation, read the Foreign Ministry statement.

It told Karlov that any such violation must not be repeated and if it was then Russia would be responsible for any undesired incident.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu warned that Ankara would activate military rules of engagement irrespective of who violates its air space.

"Our rules of engagement are clear whoever violates our air space," Davutoğlu told HaberTürk television after the incident. "The Turkish Armed Forces are clearly instructed. Even it is a flying bird it will be intercepted," he added.

A Turkish security official reportedly said Turkish radar locked onto the Russian aircraft as it was bombing early Oct. 2 in al-Yamdiyyah, a Syrian village directly on the border. He said Turkish fighter jets would have attacked if it had crossed into Turkish airspace.

edit on 5-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
What hypocrisy, Turkish war planes constantly violate Greek air space. They are in no position to be lecturing others.

Turkish violation

"Greece scrambled fighter jets to intercept six Turkish military aircraft that violated Greek airspace over 20 times on Wednesday, reported the local Kathimerini paper Thursday. "

edit on 5-10-2015 by MegaSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

It may turn out to be just a exercise in making sure they both have full agreement . It was Turkey after all that wanted to create a no fly zone a short while back so this may have been a exercise to address that and get it into the record .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Better than our "oops we dropped another load of weapons in the wrong place" errors. A navigation error is just you are in the wrong place.You aren't arming the enemy. And this is the first one I have heard of with Russia.If you have heard of others please do share.

Turkey is only mad because they want Assad gone like the USA. Turkey is backwards country that should worry about their own government and let other countries citizens worry about their own.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Two Turkish jets harassed by unidentified MIG-29 aircraft on Syrian border: Army

ANKARA (AFP) - Two Turkish F-16 jets were harassed by an unidentified MIG-29 aircraft on the Syrian border a day after a Russian fighter plane violated Turkish airspace, the military said on Monday (Oct 5).

"Two F-16 jets were harassed by a MIG-29 plane - whose nationality could not be identified - for a total of five minutes and 40 seconds," the army said in a statement, saying the incident took place on Sunday.

Turkey said earlier its F-16 jets had on Saturday intercepted a Russian fighter plane which violated Turkish air space near the Syrian border, forcing the aircraft to turn back.

click link for remainder of article.

Round #2

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

It doesn't say it knows who the Mig 29 belongs to but we shall call it Russian . Seems that Russia can cross the border and harass the Turks .The harassment part is not a mistake if true but if it is true what didn't the 2 F16's have a go at it ? Sounds like a fair fight and the Russians were warned .If unless maybe Turkey is just blowing hot air . Something about red lines being drawn by those not willing to back up their words makes this incident a bit funny . Maybe it has a echo from the past with Obama,s references to red lines . They are all big boys and I am sure they will work it out .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
Russia says violation of Turkish airspace was ‘navigation error’

Russia sure does seem to have a lot of navigation "errors" when it comes to their armed forces...

I don't know, but if it is true ... that ISIS is hiding in Turkey ... then this may be a bait for the coalition. The Russians just may "want" to escalate it ... or, they are warning the coalition off, to try and break syrian airspace.

Let's see if these "intentional errors" will increase or not.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Maybe Vlad is trying to coax Turkey into a response, then he can take out Turkey and have control of the eastern end of the Mediterranean, control of oil pipeline routes to Europe, plus take back Constantinople for Christians. After watching what the USA is prepared to do in Ukraine and Syria (basically nothing) maybe he's willing to go for broke. Afterall when Obama is replaced maybe USA will find its man shoes again and the time for opportunity will have passed.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Two Turkish jets harassed by unidentified MIG-29 aircraft on Syrian border: Army

ANKARA (AFP) - Two Turkish F-16 jets were harassed by an unidentified MIG-29 aircraft on the Syrian border a day after a Russian fighter plane violated Turkish airspace, the military said on Monday (Oct 5).

"Two F-16 jets were harassed by a MIG-29 plane - whose nationality could not be identified - for a total of five minutes and 40 seconds," the army said in a statement, saying the incident took place on Sunday.

Turkey said earlier its F-16 jets had on Saturday intercepted a Russian fighter plane which violated Turkish air space near the Syrian border, forcing the aircraft to turn back.

click link for remainder of article.

Round #2

This doesn't sound right at all.

Why would a single Russian aircraft enter Turkey's airspace? Highly unlikely ... if you ask me. I don't think the Russians are going to fly a MiG 29 to do reconnaissance. But, correct me if they would.

This sounds to me, like two F-16's were going to enter Syrian airspace ... and perhaps target objectives. They are two, one to target and one to act as a wingman ... the Russian aircraft looks like it's blocking, and intimidating them to engage it. That is, giving a message ... "proceed at your own risk".

edit on 5/10/2015 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

If they're MiG-29s they're probably Syrian. Russia didn't fly any MiG-29s to the region that have been seen.
edit on 10/5/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

If they're MiG-29s they're probably Syrian. Russia didn't fly any MiG-29s to the region that have been seen.

Key word " fly " .

They must have blatantly sailed it thru Bosphouros .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join