It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Birthday ATSNN!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Get the candles and cake out folks, ATSNN celebrates it's first anniversary today.

Launch Thread

NASA Is NOT Faking Mars Colors
A great thread to start our fledgling site. An analysis by Kano backed up by several members gave a highly detailed explanation into misconceptions about the Colours shown in Mars Rover photographs.

Exclusive Interview with USGS Scientist concering Yellowstone
After finding it's feet ATSNN turned to the stronger facets of investigative journalism with Valhall interviewing a USGS Scientist concerning the behavior of the Yellowstone Caldera. An extremely fruitful interview provided users with the answers to some important questions.

March saw the first major terrorist attack of 2004. The Madrid train bombing spawned a news thread that was covering the incident as updates came in. This was ATSNN's first test in a major breaking news situation. Members instinctively turned to the thread for the latest news.

In April we got sketchy reports of a Large Explosion In North Korea reportedly caused by a Trains derailment. An analysis of Satellite pictures by Banshee shows that the pictures were not all they said they were.

May was a very busy month for us. The beheading of Nick Berg spawned several large threads concering the nature of the incident. The Original Report by Jonna set off a powder keg of discussion and emotion. The video of the beheading came out which led loyal ATS members to make an Analysis of the Nick Berg video. After the dust had settled on the matter, further analysis was done by Valhall which showed a highly suspect incident hidden in the video.English voices were heard in the background audio.

After the busy events of May we were prepared to cover what June brough. It became clear that beheadings were to become an unwelcome feature of our lives. A second American named Paul Johnson was beheaded whilst in Iraq leading many to worry about the future safety of Westerners in the Middle East.

The summer was not all fun and games as we learned in July. A tape of Osama Bin Laden that contained a possible "hidden code" spread like wildfire in a matter of hours. Speculation and Analysis ensued in this thread started by phreak_of_nature.

August & September were two very bush months in the Southern US. A series of Hurricanes violently lashed against the states with Florida taking the brunt of the aggression. Nerdling started minute by minute coverage of the first major storm named Charley as members from the region chimed in with reports and details to help give our members a good picture of the situation. A Hurricane named Ivan added to the show with a dramatic double hit scenario, in the thread originally started here.
A collaboration between Indy & Nerdling provided up to date coverage of the unexpected Hurricane Frances.Mackiller gave us information as it came in, only to have to come back as Ivan resurged Deeprivergal did an excellent analysis of the situation when Hurricane Jeanne made her way up the Florida coast.

The busy weather season dominated the two months, but other stories managed to pull through to showcase the talents of members. A truly saddening story came to us in the form of the Russian School Siege in Beslan. Many children died after the authorities mounted a rescue operation leaving us with harrowing scenes.

After some rumblings in Washington State we saw a smaller eruption of Mt St Helens covered as it happened by Banshee. Whilst nothing on the scale of the eighties eruption we were reminded of the fierce power of Mother Nature.

As the year developed and we reached the Autumn and the Politics season really begun to take off. The First Presidential Debate from Florida was covered and members got their first chance to see the candidates verbally spar for 90 minutes.
The Second Presidential Debate started by Nerdling was discussed as it happened in a new fashion. Each side had an Analyst commenting on the answers of their candidate as the candidate was answering. This gave those online the ability to get a feel for the answers even if they were away from a TV.
The Third and Final Presidential Debate brought us a chance to get our hands mucky in the political mud pit for the last time before the big day on November 2nd.

November 2nd came and so did a wild flurry of ATSNN threads. The main thread of the evening here staffed by Nerdling, Trickmastertrick, SkepticOverlord & Banshee gave us realtime results as each state closed. The confusion over some states led to heated and emotional discussions at times as America decided. As the smoke settled it become clear that Bush had won.

As we reached December we believed we were to be in for a slow month. Sadly, in the early hours of Dec 26th we heard reports of an undersea earthquake off the coast of Indonesia. The earthquake had spawned a tidal wave that has killed many across the region. The ongoing thread resides here

We started off on a rocky road in January of last year, but with talent and heart we've made ATSNN into something to be proud of. A shining testament to citizen journalism in an age where one does not know whom to trust.

So raise a glass to ATSNN and wish everyone a good new year.

Please Give Generously To The Charities On This Page

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Happy Birthday! Great summary Nerdling and Kudos to everybody who have helped make ATSNN great.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
To those who have shaped and made ATSNN what it is today

I would first like to thank SkepticOverlord and those who were apart of the decision making process in concieving and creating ATSNN.
I would secondly like to thank all the hard work by those initial ATSNN Reporters (Nerdling, Val, Banshee, JohnBull1, and those that I forgot to name). All of them deserve great praise for their efforts.
Thirdly, I would like to thank all the present ATSNN Reporters for their part in making ATSNN successful.
And lastly, I would like to thank all those members that are not ATSNN Reporters that continually contribute to ATSNN. If not for these members, ATSNN would not be what it is today.

Great work, one and all.
Everyone's dedication and persistance has allowed us today to give thanks and congratulations for ATSNN achieving its First Anniversary.

seekerof

[edit on 2-1-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   
*smiles*

And to think, back a year ago, we had some people who very vocally said ATSNN would never work.

Countless hours have been put into this experiment of ours -- from backend coding by the ever-awesome SkepticOverlord, to the news coverage you see from reporters and members alike.... and the research. OH the research on some of those exclusive pieces!

Personally speaking, it's been a labor of love. I have a lot of pride in being part of a group that brings unqiue news coverage to people -- sometimes what we cover is ahead of "major media," sometimes it's stuff that your hometown newspaper won't touch. Sometimes it's so breaking that there's no coverage elsewhere on the web yet!
One story I'd like to bring up (that wasn't mentioned here) was the
"purple powder" thrown at Tony Blair incident.
Fortunately it turned out to be a protest action and didn't place him in any danger, but when it happened, nobody knew that.

I was in the chatroom with John Bull 1 and some other members, and he had the Prime Minister's Questions session on TV in the background. He saw the powder fly live on TV, and immediately started feeding me information that went straight to ATSNN. Being in the States, I had no news coverage of the event -- just the UK folks in chat typing as fast as they could.
It was probably the most intense news coverage I've done before or since.
News as it happens ... I saved the chatlog because it was such an amazing thing to be a part of.

So hats off to the whole staff involved and to the members who continue to provide the ATS world with news that matters to us!!
Can we all start chanting "four more years?"

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Welldone to ATSNN reporters and Editors you've given us a year of great news coverage

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Happy Birfday ATSNN!

What a great first year.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
woohooo!!! where's the party???

Happy Birthday ATSNN (and all my fellow capricorns
)

thank you for allowing me to play a small part in this.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Here's lookin at you, kid.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Wow! I see my Berg thing made the list...Val to think you kicked me in the balls over that then.

Seriously though I think back and I feel as though I was a completely different person then, I don't recognise the person I was anymore. It's strange what a year can do to a person, and also strange and great what it's done for ATSNN.

At first I can't believe it's been a year, then I realise everything that has happened to it, all the great stories and discussions and realise that all kudos should got to every member of ATS, everyone has some part in what ATSNN is today...every contribution whether good or bad has helped in some way. Well done everyone.

Happy Birthday ATSNN!

[edit on 2-1-2005 by John Nada]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Happy Birthday ATSNN!

Good to see my submission make the list.

(You forgot the highly debated Pit-Bull thread
)

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
WOW, Congrats To everyone who started ATSNN, I am glad to see it lived to it's first birthday!!! Whenever I see news, I always go to ATSNN first, and I usually find it!! I hope we can keep it going strong for years and years to come!

Happy Birthday ATSNN!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
WOW I can't believe that ATSNN is just a toddler. Congratulations and thanks for a great site. It has been great following the news sometimes before it is even on the tv

jm

edited to finish thought -- company came in earlier

[edit on 2-1-2005 by justme1640]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Happy Bithday ATSNN!!!!
Thanks to all with the Idea for this Child. ATSNN in my opinion has stepped out in the forfront of how news is reported and debated. If it was not for all the members here, it would not be as successful as it has been. Thanks to everyone for making it what it is....and will someone please restock the fridge and Liquor in the BullPen!!!!!

Oh yeah the cats need food.....NERDLING!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Happy Birthday ATSNN! And once again to all my fellow Capricorn's! ATSNN has just grown at incredible speed and has become the only news source I use on the net today...and I think alot of others can say the same, congratulations ATS!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Wow! I see my Berg thing made the list...Val to think you kicked me in the balls over that then.

[edit on 2-1-2005 by John Nada]

Is that so?

God JN...you've lived a lie so long you've bought it yourself. I don't believe I ever "kicked you in the balls" over your analysis of the Berg tape. WTF are you talking about - and this isn't the first time you've popped something like this off.

new topics

top topics

join