It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fwd/Meme I received in re: Gun Control and Abortion Made a lot of sense to me.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
false equivalency is a poor argument.

Seriously.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
false equivalency is a poor argument.

Seriously.

How so? The very purpose of the OP is to draw on their belief of an equivalence between buying a gun and getting an abortion. Wouldn't the counter argument then have to be on the equivalence of the comparison? When the OP source brought in the statement of killing a bunch of people compared to someone getting an abortion it opened the door to the two actually being equivalent.

Though I have been called obtuse once already in this thread, I will point out that the same poster also called me a genius prior.....

Couldn't equivalency be equally called a poor argument in this instance?

(post by projectbane removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Except here in California...
"In 2011, there were 512 abortion providers in California; 160 of those were clinics.
California does not have any of the major types of abortion restrictions—such as waiting periods, mandated parental involvement or limitations on publicly funded abortions—often found in other states"

Yet to purchase a handgun one must be 21 years old, there is a 14 day waiting period, one must pay for and pass FBI background checks, pay for and pass CA Department of Justice mandated Handgun Safety certification (or have passed within 2 or 3 years prior), on top of the already higher taxes and costs due to high regulations in this state...
edit on 10/4/2015 by AnonymousMoose because: derp

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

LOL at the idea that gun ownership is a male only issue while abortion is a female only issue.
People are people, and both of these issues affect both genders, to say otherwise is blasphemy.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Favorite meme on this topic:

Ozzy's Opine
edit on 4/10/2015 by rnaa because: lets try this one

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Some eagles are an endangered species, and killing their eggs has up to a $250,000 fine, is a felony.

Shame human life doesn't rate the same.

Probably because humans are not an endangered species .....

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

So then by your logic, if I couldn't own an AR 15 sandy hook wouldn't have happened?

Because that is the false equivalence you are making.

Bad form

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
"There were roughly 1.2 million abortions performed in 2008, and the abortion rate was 20 per 1,000 women aged 15–44.[31] Put differently, about 2% of American women aged 15–44 had an abortion that year."

Guess we can at least be grateful crazy gun owners aren't as effective at killing people, as American folks seeking abortions are at getting them.

Getting so burned out on the straw man fallacies anti gunners are barfing all over the place.

1st degree murder is a capital crime... good chance for life in prison, or execution by the state. And yet... it is not a sufficient deterrent to mass homicide... but passing gun laws has special skittle crapping unicorn magic? Right.

Yeah... that'll work real well.

The OP's original post is total BS. 3300 people die in car accidents every day. EVERY DAY.

That is like 5 fully loaded 747's crashing every day. The child of car driving parents (and the parents) are many HUNDREDS of times more likely to die in a car crash within 15 miles of their home... as anybody who watches the around the clock news coverage of car crash carnage knows. oh... wait... there is no real coverage of motor vehicle deaths, relative to gun deaths.

Because if media told the whole truth... the public would see through the gun hysteria straight away.
edit on 4-10-2015 by dasman888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Abortions are an act of self defense, every time.

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is self defense, but guns are often used for robberies, malicious murder and are often the tools for all sorts of crimes.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Well, that's not discriminatory in any way, now is it?

If men can't make a law like that, (BTW, not all women are in favor of abortion, just an FYI) then a woman should not have been able to file a lawsuit and win against a men only barber shop.

Discrimination for everyone!! YAY!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

All lives matter ...

Of course, some lives are more important than others when it comes to the left. After all, they'll cry and tear their hair out over baby seals but get all indignant over the idea that what PP does is actually butchering tiny human beings and selling their body parts.

If clubbing baby seals is barbaric, I don't see how what PP does is any less so.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The "left" cares more about life that is fully developed and here, as opposed to the right who only seems to care about the developing fetus/zygote/embryo, but once it's born - doesn't care if it suffers in the ghetto or in a broken home or in the foster care system.

What PP does is provide a service for women who want to legally terminate a pregnancy, and if the woman wants to donate the fetus to research, PP (a few of the clinics) will help facilitate that, as a service. They serve women who are mostly poor and can't afford, even with insurance, to go to a private clinic or hospital. They don't force women to do anything - the women go to them. How is PP barbaric for that?

edit on 4-10-2015 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Because i buy a gun to go hunt with. I don't buy an abortion to go hunt with.

False equivalency.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is self defense, but guns are often used for robberies, malicious murder and are often the tools for all sorts of crimes.

Abortions are used all the time for people who don't want a baby too. That argument makes no sense.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Because i buy a gun to go hunt with. I don't buy an abortion to go hunt with.

False equivalency.

Gotcha....I see what you were saying now.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Abortions are used all the time for people who don't want a baby too. That argument makes no sense.

And....guns are used all the time by people who don't want to be robbed, mugged, raped, etc.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

And....guns are used all the time by people who don't want to be robbed, mugged, raped, etc.

So if your argument is that guns should be banned then I'm guessing you also believe abortion should be banned?

And your statement of how guns are used would be self defense. How is that equivalent to a girl who got pregnant from having sex that just doesn't want a baby? As far as I know, I can't go buy a gun and kill someone just because I don't think the are a person.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Didn't Obamacare take care of that can't afford thing again?

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I have no argument, one way or the other, for or against gun control. I'm merely commenting on the comparison in the OP. I don't care if you approve or disapprove of the "HOW" and "WHY" a woman may find herself in the situation of an unwanted pregnancy. The fact is that she has the same right to defend the sovereignty of her body, her life, liberty and the pursuit of her own happiness and autonomy as any gun owner.

edit on 4-10-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join