It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conservative Voter Suppression Plot Thickens

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Alabama might as well just send an invitation to the Justice Department. Come on in guys. Come on down.

No need to reply with an RSVP. Because we know you'll be here. How could you resist?

Because Alabama just took a giant step backward.

Take a look at the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of non-white registered voters. That's Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes, Bullock, Perry, Wilcox, Dallas, Hale, and Montgomery, according to the Alabama Secretary of State's office. Alabama, thanks to its budgetary insanity and inanity, just opted to close driver license bureaus in eight of them. All but Dallas and Montgomery will be closed.

Closed. In a state in which driver licenses or special photo IDs are a requirement for voting.

It's not just a civil rights violation. It is not just a public relations nightmare. It is not just an invitation for worldwide scorn and an alarm bell to the Justice Department. It is an affront to the very notion of justice in a nation where one man one vote is as precious as oxygen. It is a slap in the face to all who believe the stuff we teach the kids about how all are created equal.
www.al.com...

Reasons like the above why I can't vote Republican , the Dems may suc but not absolutely, they atleast have some saving grace about inclusion but Reps especially after Reagan just kept going and going, some of you may remember my warning 3 yrs back.
Supreme Court guts key part of landmark Voting Rights Act
www.abovetopsecret.com...
This ^ is how we came to what is happening now, they just chip away and chip away while the rest of us go back to bed, the only relevant part of the constitution for them is the often misused 2nd amendment.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
If in fact this is an attempt at voter suppression by the conservatives or if it is even given that perception; the minorities aren't stupid and this lame attempt will bite the Republicans in the ass as minorities band together and vote the racist out of office. This story has gone national and it won't do the conservative parties any favors. It's almost as if they are trying to lose by alienating so many voters.
edit on 3-10-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Voter fraud - not so real.
Gerrymandering and suppression of minority/undesirable voters in order to make strategic gains at the polls? Very real.

It can be called whatever you like, but they will reach a point where they break the law, if they haven't already. Again. That is why there was a protection in the first place. Something tells me that if minority populations voted Republican, these things wouldn't be happening in Republican controlled states, or free voter ID's would be widely and easily available in areas that are now becoming voter ID obstacle courses. I wonder if the tables were turned demographically, would Democrats then be shouting about voter fraud and a need to safeguard Democracy through voter ID laws?? I don't know. I would hope not, but politics is a bloody game.

Disenfranchising voters is simply wrong, whomever it hurts or benefits politically.
edit on 3-10-2015 by AboveBoard because: clarity

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Sorry but if these people can't get a photo ID before the next presidential election in 14 months, they probably couldn't find their way to the poling place.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Sounds like a non-story. Alabama allows you use a non-photo ID at the registrar's office (they also have mobile offices) to get a photo ID that can be used at the polls.

edit on 3-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I couldn't believe this when I heard it yesterday! Well, yes, I could. It's SO BLATANT! How ANYONE in their right mind would vote for the party that does this kind of thing, I do not understand and I don't even want to understand! How far are they willing to go to get what they want??? And in the face of the country watching them.

The counties that voted for Obama, the counties the vote Democratic most. DMV is Closed.

I wonder who the "mastermind" behind this is -- "Let's see, how can we make sure we win, this election? Let's make it so the Obama voters can't vote... but HOW? ...I know! We'll make photo ID necessary, and then close down the local DMVs a year before the election! It's brilliant! And it will save the state tons of money that we can use to bribe other politicians!"

THIS is the kind of corruption that drives people to form organizations like Black Lives Matter. To the government of Ala-freaking-bama, they CLEARLY do not.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Sorry but if these people can't get a photo ID before the next presidential election in 14 months, they probably couldn't find their way to the poling place.

Yes you are sorry, may your civic rights be hampered for no reason other than suspicion of your politics perhaps ethnicity and gender.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You should know better! You posted this from Rawstory the other day and were proven this was a biased non story, and here you are promoting it yet again?

For those interested, this is the real story and it has NOTHING to do with "Racism, but a State trying to reign in spending"!

Find it odd that the whole issue is Racism, but yet it also involved closing down 5 State parks, 6 National Guard Armories and NOT TO MENTION? The drivers license centers being closed down? Only covered 5% of the states driver license applications!

For those who want the truth? It isn't about "Racism or Votes" it's about a State trying to reign in spending!

State to close 5 parks, cut back services at driver license offices

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Except you can stroll into any county registrars office with a birth certificate (not you Obama) and get a photo ID.

This is a non-story.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

OK - this is starting to get a little bit insane now! Alabama, like pretty much every other state's government (and the federal government as well), can't stop spending money they don't have. Now they're too broke to keep all government offices open so they are forced to close some. I'm going to ass-ume that they would close the ones who bring in the least amount of money.

And this equals racism?

The linked article has no investigative report on the reasoning, just the hyper emotional jump (as usual lately) to racism.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong and I will most certainly admit that I don't honestly know the facts. I live in Washington state so I'm about as far as one could get from Alabama in the continental US, so I haven't heard this story until this thread. So if there is any other proof than this guys opinion in the paper - please provide it.
edit on 3-10-2015 by tallcool1 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: tallcool1
So if there is any other proof than this guys opinion in the paper - please provide it.

None. It is partisan dog-whistling.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one.
www.al.com...

It stinks to high hell.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
It stinks to high hell.

Why? None of them can get to the county registrar?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If in fact this is an attempt at voter suppression by the conservatives or if it is even given that perception; the minorities aren't stupid and this lame attempt will bite the Republicans in the ass as minorities band together and vote the racist out of office. This story has gone national and it won't do the conservative parties any favors. It's almost as if they are trying to lose by alienating so many voters.

Agree completely. I'd love to be involved in a grassroots movement that would organize to drive buses of people to the next county to get their photo ID.

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Sounds like a non-story. Alabama allows you use a non-photo ID at the registrar's office (they also have mobile offices) to get a photo ID that can be used at the polls.

You may be right, but I'm going to wait and see what they have up their sleeves for the next year before I believe it.

link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yes you are sorry, may your civic rights be hampered for no reason other than suspicion of your politics perhaps ethnicity and gender.

Oh just stop!
They closed satellite branches of the DMV that handled less than 5 percent of drivers license renewals. That's less than one in twenty for the mathematically challenged. The counties still have easily accessible DMV branches open to the public.
They also closed 6 national guard armories and some state parks, do the republicans have something against nature walks to?

On a side note my county closed 2 branches a few years ago and consolidated into 1 branch. This county also voted republican so was the republican vote being suppressed then?

edit on 3-10-2015 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

link   

Please stop this Non-sense. This is a DMV issue, not a voter ID issue.

All 67 counties in Alabama have a Board of Registrars that issue photo voter I.D. cards.

www.voteriders.org...

“The closure of 31 DMV offices will not leave citizens without a place to receive the required I.D. card to vote,” said Alabama’s Secretary of State John Merrill said in a statement Thursday. He pointed to the free state-issued voter ID cards that residents can apply for if they do no have any of the other approved photo IDs.

“All 67 counties in Alabama have a Board of Registrars that issue photo voter I.D. cards. If for some reason those citizens are not able to make it to the Board of Registrars, we'll bring our mobile I.D. van and crew to that county,"

yellowhammernews.com...

Drivers Licenses are just one of the many forms of identification accepted at Alabama’s polling places. The following, unexpired, unrevoked forms are acceptable as well: Nondriver ID, Alabama Photo Voter ID card, State Issued ID, Federal Issued ID, US Passport, Employee ID from the Federal Government, State of Alabama, County, Municipality, Board or other entity of Alabama, Student or employee ID from a public of private college or university in the State of Alabama, Military ID, or a Tribal ID.
edit on 3-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

You may be right, but I'm going to wait and see what they have up their sleeves for the next year before I believe it.

The info I provided is correct. Follow the link to Alabama's voter page and it lists how and where to get a photo ID in every single county in the state. If you can make it to the DMV I am sure you can make it to the county registrar.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: tallcool1
So if there is any other proof than this guys opinion in the paper - please provide it.

None. It is partisan dog-whistling.

Partisan it is and the whistle is deafening.
Supreme Court guts key part of landmark Voting Rights Act
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

How about answering my questions.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Says you. I agree with the point made about photo ID as the alternative.

Considering the Democrat agenda of allowing illegals to vote despite the illegality of that act, it comes across as throwing stones in from a glass house......

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join