It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Broadcast Warnings increasing. Please list here if your area is also receiving!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: capragenus
In the UK we have cBS and localised SMS.

Basically cBS is Cell broadcast service. Its very similar to a text message but works slightly different in that the sending party does NOT need the mobile number they simply send the message out and it is picked up by compatible mobile handsets (most phones now) It works on a different system than SMS.

Localised SMS work as it says, they send a message to a specific area, again no number needed they target cell towers within a localtion, send the message and its broadcast out as an SMS.

Thank you for explaining the tech side of how it works, I was curious to know how it was that one specific area could be targeted for cell phones, for instance, these "robocalls". I would imagine they must work much the same way.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Over here in Ohio, USA, we have had them every week for all of my life (31 years).

They do weekly tests of the Emergency Broadcast system on Satellite Television (DirectTV/Dish Network), Cable Television, and radio stations.

I lived in Nashville, TN for a few years back in my college days and I remember hearing them all the time down there as well.

All radio and television stations must perform the Weekly Transmission Test Of The Attention Signal and Test Script a minimum of once a week at random days and times between 8:30 A.M and local sunset, unless during the test week, they have activated the EBS for a state or local emergency or participated in a coordinated State or local EBS test.

fas.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: tiredoflooking

Theres more behind it, as in it doesnt go direct from the person to the mass, i.e government to people.

It actually goes through a chain of people, mainly because the way the cBS system works is that there is a base station that sends these messages usually controlled by the cell controller (mobile network provider).

So govenrment sends the messages out to all network providers and specifies what is to be said and to whom it goes. They then input the messages and broasdcast it out. Obviously because of the nature of it not everyone will get one at the same time, if two people use the same network and in the same area then yes they would. But if two people on different networks are in the same area then there might be a delay between both getting the messages depending on how fast they work.

Theres alot behind how it works. Security protocols and so on.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Why is testing a public service like mass notification of something bad a creepy thing?

If that wasn't used and some catastrophe happened then people would complain the Govt didn't do their job in communicating.

Any major hospital , building or city has something similar.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Here in Oklahoma, they test tornado sirens every Wed @noon. Lol visitors actually go bonkers as they have no idea what is happening. ... I was In class about 3 weeks ago and we an active shooter drill .(they called it a lock down drill).... very very scarry.... concerning the recent activity. ... being the world's oldest college freshman, I was a little on edge....

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Every state here in the US gets regular TV EAS tests since forever, which most people have seen/heard. They can be annoying in their frequency, but I think it's up to the individual channels. I've noticed some channels test the EAS system multiple times a week, while others test once a week or less often.

I don't get Amber Alerts or EAS alerts on my phone. Don't know if you have to sign up for it first or not, but I know my mother figured out a way to disable AAs on her phone, said they were incessant in the middle of the night the last time it was initiated.

I've also heard EAS tests on the radio, but that was years ago & I don't listen to AM/FM anymore (no, I don't use internet radio either) I have no idea if they still do radio EAS testing, but I'd have to assume so.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
Here in Oklahoma, they test tornado sirens every Wed @noon. Lol visitors actually go bonkers as they have no idea what is happening. ... I was In class about 3 weeks ago and we an active shooter drill .(they called it a lock down drill).... very very scarry.... concerning the recent activity. ... being the world's oldest college freshman, I was a little on edge....

I grew up in FL & never heard one before in my life. Either they are few & far between in FL, or just don't exist there. First time I heard a tornado siren test was when we moved up north. I was all "What the hell is that racket??" People laughed & clued me in. I think they test the first Friday of the month in my town, but I've already tuned them out & don't even notice now.

We had bomb drills back when I was in school. It was back in the 90's when people were more worried about someone bombing a school than shooting it up, so the evac drills were centered on how to get out of the buildings under the threat of a bomb in them.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: digitalbluco
Over here in Ohio, USA, we have had them every week for all of my life (31 years).

They do weekly tests of the Emergency Broadcast system on Satellite Television (DirectTV/Dish Network), Cable Television, and radio stations.

I lived in Nashville, TN for a few years back in my college days and I remember hearing them all the time down there as well.

All radio and television stations must perform the Weekly Transmission Test Of The Attention Signal and Test Script a minimum of once a week at random days and times between 8:30 A.M and local sunset, unless during the test week, they have activated the EBS for a state or local emergency or participated in a coordinated State or local EBS test.

fas.org...

That's interesting to me... you are quite close to us, well the border of Ohio, in any case. Perhaps it is statewide then. Thank you for the info!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: capragenus

Theres more behind it, as in it doesnt go direct from the person to the mass, i.e government to people.

It actually goes through a chain of people, mainly because the way the cBS system works is that there is a base station that sends these messages usually controlled by the cell controller (mobile network provider).

So govenrment sends the messages out to all network providers and specifies what is to be said and to whom it goes. They then input the messages and broasdcast it out. Obviously because of the nature of it not everyone will get one at the same time, if two people use the same network and in the same area then yes they would. But if two people on different networks are in the same area then there might be a delay between both getting the messages depending on how fast they work.

Theres alot behind how it works. Security protocols and so on.

Very intricate system it seems. I was surprised when all of our devices -phones, satellite T.V. tablets went off at once. Perhaps that is because it was one area with messages being sent all at once. Different procedures technically I'm sure but somehow they are coordinating it. I know some other people a few hours away in my province got messages that same day as well, not sure if all provinces were tested or not but I'd be interested to find out just because I'm curious.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Why is testing a public service like mass notification of something bad a creepy thing?

If that wasn't used and some catastrophe happened then people would complain the Govt didn't do their job in communicating.

Any major hospital , building or city has something similar.

What I meant to imply was creepy was the language being used. Also it being rolled out without the government speaking about it, nothing on the news, it was disturbing.

I grew up in Toronto and never had anything other than T.V. tests. I'm like 45 mins from Toronto now and have friends and family there, there was no system in place until this new one, Toronto is a pretty major city.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Crazy, that siren thing would drive me nuts. We do not have them here and we really should. We have not nearly as many tornadoes as you guys but we get them frequently enough. They scare me to death and I always worry about them coming in the night when people are sleeping!

I applaud you for being able to even sit in a classroom nowadays. I do not think I could hack it, they need to make escape windows! As I grow older I find the worry increases, these kids -mine included oldest being 16- could care less about what is going on around them (the majority of them anyway.) Mine think I'm an absolute nutter Mom for most of the things I warn them about. I swear my 16 year old, boy, would walk right outside into a tornado and not even notice it. They have seriously selective interests I tell you!

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Every state here in the US gets regular TV EAS tests since forever, which most people have seen/heard. They can be annoying in their frequency, but I think it's up to the individual channels. I've noticed some channels test the EAS system multiple times a week, while others test once a week or less often.

I don't get Amber Alerts or EAS alerts on my phone. Don't know if you have to sign up for it first or not, but I know my mother figured out a way to disable AAs on her phone, said they were incessant in the middle of the night the last time it was initiated.

I've also heard EAS tests on the radio, but that was years ago & I don't listen to AM/FM anymore (no, I don't use internet radio either) I have no idea if they still do radio EAS testing, but I'd have to assume so.

I'm surprised it varies so much from state to state. I guess it must be run individually. We can use an app here for Amber Alerts but I was thinking it would be good for them to be added to our program. They go out by radio, T.V. and on hwy signs. We really do not get that many here, when it happens it is a big deal.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You're not the only one who noticed. Where I am in western Canada we have had our share of emergency broadcasts at random times.

The Local people have mentioned it as being out of the ordinary so it's not just me who finds it odd (I'm relatively new to the area).

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

I was wondering if it was happening across country! Do your broadcasts have the same language as the pic in the first post?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
We have the in the U.S.. Little known to most that's why every cellphone has fm radio capability. That's the medium that they send the eas message over.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: iwontrun

I did not know cells had FM capability, thank you for the info. Wish we could listen to the radio with them. I miss radio!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join