It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is this Enlightenment?

page: 1

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:22 AM
Picture this: a spinning merry-go-round, spin, spin, round and round it goes, almost mesmerizing to look at. And to keep it spinning is the allure, isn't it? It's in the very fact that we can spin the merry-go-round that we become fascinated.

The spinning merry-go-round is a fitting metaphor for how our mind-brain works. Because our minds are based upon our brains, they are limited by the realities of a) chemical forces, which in turn are limited by b) physical forces.

The spinning wheel are the complex dynamic feedback loops that operate between and within the cells of our brain that process our experience. Predictability is the game. Expectancies are the types of experience we have. Predictability, expectancy, and cyclicality, embeddedness are some of the complex dynamics that function in our brain, and not surprisingly, in our mind as well.

I see myself, as a kid, with his hand sticking out, spinning that merry-go-round. It's an image that sticks out in my mind, me both spinning it, and me, paradoxically, sitting in the middle - in the mind - , experiencing the piercing speed of the spins. The image speaks to a duality that many people experience, but perhaps people who practice mindfulness experience most fully: being both the "spinning" wheel and the cross-legged monk 'sitting in the middle'.

This is a duality, as two parts of the mind, of consciousness, are being experienced simultaneously. One, perhaps caught up in suffering (we tend to experience this duality at times of mindful reflectiveness, which also happens to arise during periods of stress and anxiety) the moving wheel subject to the dynamic processes of neuroendocrinology, and the 'sitting mind', the reflective, responsive part of the mind, sitting, watching, accepting. But this other self is not neutral, but entirely involved, nursing the self, the suffering part, by holding experience with a compassionate gaze.

Suffering, which comes in so many different forms, is all about the lack of certainty. Why does this world exist as it does, torment us as it does, with questions that offer no endurable solution? We always think we 'have it', solved a puzzle, past a test, reached a point, but under certain conditions at certain times, were reminded once again of our feebleness, of our situatedness, as organisms, the latest "model" in a complex process of organic evolution, starting billions of years ago, picking up steam 700 million years....and here we are, debating the nature of reality.

Why would reality do this to us?! We scare ourselves with thoughts and tempt ourselves with theories. Is this thing, consciousness, real? It must be! It is! It is! But then the harrowing voices of naysayers, philosophers, neuroscientists - especially those ones! inject doubt, give reason for suspicion; but how unlikely, how unaware of them, you fight back.

Worries can be complex or simple, but they are often-times just a stupid waste of metabolic energy.

Consciousness is real, I am real. I am real, most of all, because I feel real. Descartes said "I think, therefore I am". The man must have been a big dissociator, as I think the deepest sense of reality is not so much thought, as lived, embodied, sensuous, and enlivened experience ala elan vital.

I know I am real because I Feel real; and furthermore, I have affective responses to these thoughts of 'feeling' real. Fear. Anxiety. The oddity of consciousness and mind is the fact that it is inherently related to threat and predation. Movement (which is the origin of the first neurons) and Sensation are about GETTING AWAY from animals that want to eat you; sensing becomes sensing the environment for food AND threat; thus movement emerges IN RELATION to sensation. Sensory neurons 'detect' danger, and movement is triggered to get away.

How amazing it is that this process has lead to creatures which evolved love as the antidote to fear! Therapeutic support; empathy; and even sympathy (a decisive action to help another) evolved.

Life has always emerged in these conditions, with two opposing conditions generating "energy flow"; the beginnings of life are said to have occurred at deep sea alkaline vents with a PH of 10; opposing this were the acidic carbon rich waters of the early ocean, with a PH of 5-7. The PH difference allowed Hydrogen to bind with Carbon, and thus, to set the process of organic evolution into action. The most miraculous thing about this process is how natural it is: an alkaline rich, aqueous environment, with rock (minerals) and a steady source of carbon, will LIKELY result in feedback loops that generate vesicles, some internal, self-replicating structure, and a "pump" that maintains an electric differential between the inside and outside of the protocell.

So life goes from "no-life" to life, without any obvious demarcation point. Life just spontaneously arises - and then becomes, progressively, more complex, until we arrive - living, breathing, acting, ALIVE to OURSELVES creatures.

I always find discussions about the "reality" of consciousness to be disturbing - as something that only an insane, or at least deeply cynical, removed, and slightly depersonalized consciousness could manage to assert. For me, it just is, and I know it is, act like it is, and in effect, am consciously involve with how I conduct such a conversation with myself - and with others, as I am currently doing.

Anymore musing beyond that seems to be pointless and wasteful. There is every reason to believe we are a) consciousness and b) can exert conscious control whenever we seek to "act" upon the world. When we become conscious of our consciousness, we also feel more conscious, more aware, "more convinced". In fact, there is nothing more unsettling than adotpting the other perspective and then carrying out the above recursive process: this is not real, I am not real, I am not real!!!? Suffice to say, the emotional reaction is justified, as the thought of yourself not being real is indeed a lunatic thought. Be scared: shock yourself back into awareness.

But that needn't be the go-to response, as sometimes people 'believe' things without ever examining how their beliefs affect them. This can happen under the influence of social pressures and socializing. A 'basin of attraction" may form that allows only some types of thinking and reflection (that is, stipulates a range of thought, and thus, dissociates anything beyond that range) so that making the assertion "consciousness isn't real" is managed not by honest self-reflection, but through the same bad-boy habits of yore: pretending like you aren't affected by it; or, in fact, not actually being affected because you have unconsciously dissociated any feeling response to it (nowadays associated with developmental trauma, but in the past was referred as "schizoaffective disorder"). It's also possible that other interests besides fear, such as applying certain philosophical biases (no dualism!) and enforcing biological truisms (reduce to the physical!) are both enacted because they provide a certain pleasure to the actor, created by how we ourselves experienced this topic or a similar subject with an important other at an earlier time.

That was long to take, I apologize. Enlightenment, I feel, is the middle path - a path that is simple, yet complex. Accepting of determinism, yet also claiming free-will. Bad has good. And good has bad. Enlightenment is an acceptance and embrace of paradox.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:40 AM

originally posted by: AstrocyteEnlightenment, I feel, is the middle path - a path that is simple, yet complex. Accepting of determinism, yet also claiming free-will. Bad has good. And good has bad. Enlightenment is an acceptance and embrace of paradox.

Sorry, but your 'feelings' are 'thoughts/imagination', and have nothing to do with 'Enlightenment', other than to blind you to it.
Traditionally, Enlightenment is the experience of the One Universal Self!
We transcend the 'merely' human animal, to the Universal!
One Omni- Self!
That's all!
Enlightenment = unconditional Love!

True, unconditional Love is ALWAYS recognized by It's unconditional Virtues; Compassion, Empathy, Sympathy, Gratitude, Humility, Charity (charity is never taking more than your share of anything, ever!), Honesty, Happiness, Faith...

THAT'S 'Enlightenment.
What you 'feel' Enlightenment is, is vain and erroneous.

By the bye;

"It is neither the eye that perceives 'light', nor the ear that perceives 'sound', nor the brain that perceives 'thought'!" - Book of Fudd

Your theory of 'materialism/physicalism' has long been obsolete!
Neither Consciousness nor 'thought' are manufactured by that wet lump of meat in your skull!

"Consciousness is the ground of all being!" - Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics
One Universal Consciousness!

edit on 3-10-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:00 AM
a reply to: Astrocyte

Really long read, but s&f because i agree with your conclusion. There is no good or bad just opposing forces without them there'd be no progress and evolution is what it is all about. Stagnation is dead.
edit on 3-10-2015 by Peeple because: Auto

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:18 AM

originally posted by: Astrocyte

Because our minds are based upon our brains, they are limited by the realities of a) chemical forces, which in turn are limited by b) physical forces.

Says who?

Not anyone with scientific integrity or intellectual honesty. We don't know where "mind" (consciousness) comes from. No one does. Anyone who claims otherwise is so far from enlightenment she can't see her hand in front of her face.

Got a light?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:31 AM
a reply to: Astrocyte

Both the waking and dream state are equally false. They are the two "rooms" that everyone keeps shuttling back and forth every single day and night. Understand it fully and remain in that witnessing state by remaining unaffected by whatever one experiences during the waking and dream state. Pure observation/witnessing/attention /awareness must go at all times and there should be no censoring, evaluation, judgment, etc. - this is the rub or toughie. And when persistence, patience, perseverance are exercised and maintained, 'THAT' wakes up and takes over and you'll win most times when tested via thoughts. In truth, no one is ever born. What is born is only a concept. Hence, no one ever dies, hence there can't be rebirth logically. Ergo, liberation and enlightenment are non sequitur too. Apprehending this wholeheartedly - that one has falsely accepted and believed that one is in bondage or are unenlightened - will in time result in "liberation" or waking up as the Buddha (= awakened one) terms it!!

edit on Octam15 11 20 by Rextiberius because: addition

edit on Octam15 11 20 by Rextiberius because: further edit

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:51 AM
interesting read for a rainy Saturday morning

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:02 PM
a reply to: Galadriel

Tis surely a beautiful time to be alone and doing your own thing on a rainy Sat morning. Let the raindrops (hearing them, that is) lead you gently to your inner space, your innerscape. Oh, you might like to also read my other thread/post (reply to micpsi) on a related topic at:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:32 PM
a reply to: NthOther

There are quite a few who not only knows where consciousness comes from but also are not generally interested in playing with it. These are not the run-of-the-mill empirical scientists but a spiritual science verifiable via personal experience. Some of the greatest of this inner quest entities are Jean Klein (France), Jiddu Krishnamurti (India), Bodhidharma (India), Anita Moorjani (Singapore born), Gopi Krishna (India), Andrew Cohen (USA), Nome (USA), Ramana Maharshi (India), Punjaji (India), H. P. Blavatsky (Russia) Nisargadatta Maharaj (India), C. W. Leadbeater (Britain), Advaita exponents, etc.

Do read the books they have written or records of their talks and lectures. Mind is a fragment of Consciousness, but a holographic entity. Consciousness consists of a spectrum of Septenary (or 7) densities / principles / planes which range from the grossest to the subtlest e.g. Physical, Astral, Prana/Vital, Kamaic, Manasic, Buddhic, Atmic - these are also called "subtle bodies". For more details, click here:

They are and have been adepts who have developed the required discipline to perceive these subtle bodies. These bodies are not perceivable to the ordinary untrained human for the simple reason that one mind's has to first become successively more subtle in order to perceive the next six higher levels of subtlety. Our normal range of perception is quite limited - we can't perceive electricity, magnetism or x-rays but they are there to be utilised and exploited. We also can't perceive the ultra-frequency sounds used by bats and whales to navigate or communicate. Dogs, cats and animals in general perceive frequencies outside our human range... they can sense imminent earthquakes, entities, etc.

Eventually, every one will have to evolve all the way to the Atmic, for that is every one's destiny. In fact every one - without exception - has already begun the path/journey, evolving towards that supreme goal, willy-nilly, though not at the same speed of course. That spiritual adventure may take millions of lifetimes and rebirths but the upward march will continue unabated from one life to the next. Yes, one can attempt to speed it up but there is always a price tag dangling before the bold, adventuresome and ambitious one.

edit on Octpm15 11 20 by Rextiberius because: amendments

edit on Octpm15 11 20 by Rextiberius because: editing

edit on Octpm15 11 20 by Rextiberius because: (no reason given)

edit on Octpm15 11 20 by Rextiberius because: (no reason given)

edit on Octpm15 11 20 by Rextiberius because: amendment

top topics