It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone you know will be able to rate you on the terrifying ‘Yelp for people’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I came across a site like this a while back. It's for women to badmouth ex boyfriends.

Any kind of false claim could be made and there's f-all that can be done about it.

Pretty disgusting...

There are some really bad guys out there. They are the users, liars, cheaters, stalkers and abusers who leave countless shattered lives in their wake with zero regret or remorse for their actions. AssholepediA.com is a free uncensored and unmoderated resource for women to share their experiences with these sociopaths. You can add photos, link or embed videos and you can send your submission to anyone you believe needs to see it via anonymous email or publicly on twitter, facebook, etc.

The greatest thing of all is that whatever you choose to post will NEVER be edited or deleted. It will remain forever as a permanent, searchable record that could potentially save future women from becoming victims of his disgusting, vile behaviour.

Before you sleep with him.

Before you date him.

Before you even give him your phone number.

See if he's on the list.

www.assholepeida.com

edit on 4-10-2015 by DwayneUSA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
the amusing bit of this is that it was meant as a tool to combat harassment and basically tag people for being terrible (this person is a racist, a sexist, a evil republican, etc).
and like a beautiful song, it united both anti and pro PC/sjw folks together in a unified curse against this..because all it is is a super-gossip and doxxing site that the worst actors will be using as a vendetta hobby.

many people complain that anonymous on the internet is bad..but I fully disagree. the internet requires mostly anonymous interactions simply so you can have a semi-normal life while being the "insert type of activist" here online without being shot or hate mail coming directly to your home / family being harassed. a more worthwhile tool would be ways to further remain anonymous online, simple tools for the most mentally challenged to use to keep a low RL profile in your dealings, etc.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It is illegal. Slander and defamation of character are two things that will likely get this website shut down.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DwayneUSA

Gee, I'll bet there's a MRA version as well for guys to rate birds who they buy dinner for and they don't put out...

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
It is illegal. Slander and defamation of character are two things that will likely get this website shut down.

Possibly true, but it hasn't stopped the online harassment that happens on social media. The bad thing about sites like assholepedia.com is that they are created for no other purose but to slander and defame...and if they're hosted and run out of countries with no laws against it then there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The only issue I see with this service, and this is true of any social network is that you're pretty much obligated to sign up and register an account under your own name just to prevent someone else from doing so. Website URL's, facebook, myspace, twitter, and all the rest. This is just another in the list of must register websites.

As far as what they're doing though, I don't see a problem. I'm sure the website will be a cesspool of vapid attacks, but if that's the case it won't have any credibility and it will make the app's publishers liable for a massive libel suit which will take care of it. If they put a higher standard on things it won't be any different from anywhere else, they'll look at it to see what types of people you associate with, just like a future employers looks at your facebook to see if you're friends with the wrong type of people.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

There are some things for which there should not be an app.

Rating human beings is one of them. For shame. May the human race look back on this with nothing but the purest contempt.

Rating human beings is the basic activity of anything online that involves multiple people. From forums to MMO's, and it's because people get off on being rated higher than other people.
edit on 4-10-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Not so!

ATS has a social element to it, that much is obvious. But this places main focus is CONTENT! And there are other sites out there which seek to rate content as much as or more than anything else.

But the site being discussed in this thread is the first to actively promote the idea of rating a person, not their views, not their utterances or their work, but the person themselves. Even Facebook and Twitter were not as blatant as that!

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

Welp, if I find myself there, I sure know what I'm going to do--violate the terms and conditions until I get removed
Regardless of if the ratings are good or bad, I don't want my name associated with this b.s. I hope nobody puts me on there. I hope these people get sued. It is wrong that someone else can make a profile for you--especially since it could potentially affect your ability to get a job or something.

Anyways, someone said this was only for iphone users--but then how can they add anyone, anywhere?

Now, it would be a different story if you had to make your own profile. That, I see no problem with. But someone else making it for you sounds like harassment to me--and, last time I checked, that's illegal.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I smell lots of laws suits coming. This is an invasion of privacy and people could also slander you into hell. An option for professionals? Really?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
if this launches and is real

imagine how many drug dealers, etc, that will have profiles from anonymous people calling them out, and outing them.
even a drug dealer should have right to his or her privacy.

this app, will be the ultimate destruction of privacy.

just imagine, you have a party, you get drunk, you accidentally puke in the hallway of your dorm, or in the staircase of your apt building, then ppl can add that about you.

the imagination for what could be posted about you is limitless.

I hope sweden will not accept this app.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I don't see this surviving very long kind of like the Cadillac tax on insurance once Congress realizes it on them it'll be gone.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienDNA

I hope sweden will not accept this app.

If Sweden does not we are all going to give it a bad review.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Those 2 look extremely jaded.
And sort of creepy.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Woo Hoo! I can't wait to see how the rest of the world knows that Denis Leary wrote that song about me!

"I drive really slow in the ultrafast lane, While people behind me are going insane Because I'm an.."

originally posted by: rukia
Yo guys, check this out!
BBC--Peeple sites 'disappear' from web after backlash over app

Thoughts?

Damn it, I was about to get my 15 min!

just kidding
worst internet idea ever

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
Yo guys, check this out!
BBC--Peeple sites 'disappear' from web after backlash over app

Thoughts?

Got those cold feet and retreated. Oh well. Somebody else will do it. This transition was bound to happen since Uber introduced the concept in 2012.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Easy money maker. Just use a bunch of proxies to automate good or nasty reviews for customers.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Pebujesa

Unfortunately it appears the site is back up.

It appears they are now behind a premium version of Cloudflare DDoS protection.

Good and interesting comments so far. The only thing I would like to reinforce, is that much of the issue is what other people would see on a profile about you.

Like many of you, I do not participate much in social media and have no desire to subscribe or check for a profile in my name.
However, that is the point. Anybody can start a profile on somebody else, and how effective are their identity checks going to be?

Email and cell phone checks are easy to bypass. Anonymous Pre-paid cell phones with minutes preloaded can be picked up for 10-20 dollars at almost any retail store.
I highly doubt they are going to use KYC standards for identity confirmation.

Does one want to check this site every day or so to make sure a malicious profile has not been started? One will almost have to in order to make sure potential employers, contracts or even current employers do not see a malicious profile.
edit on 5-10-2015 by Dreamwatcher because: Formatting

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
My first thought was "what idiot would believe anything written on that site?"

Then I thought about how H.R. reps have operated at businesses where I have worked. Not the most intelligent people in the world, and not a free-thinker among them.

Now LinkedIn will have to add like/dislike buttons to keep up with the times.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join