It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone you know will be able to rate you on the terrifying ‘Yelp for people’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The same hackers that brought down A. Madison will do even worse damage to this. I honestly doubt it will ever launch. The only way it will work is if users have to register and opt in. Even then, between hackers and lawyers I don't see this really taking off, least not anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Dreamwatcher

So a sodimising Baptist preacher who engages in pedophilia but who has adoring followers can get a high rating.

A low life politician, a back stabbing liar but with adoring followers will get a high rating.

An honest man who doesn't kiss ass will end up with a low rating.

Sometimes I hate the internet.
I wonder what you have against baptist preachers to post that... a quick internet result showed as many as 5% of males are pedophiles while an estimated 3% of clergy men are pedophiles. And one would have an idea to pretend woman are just better for their apparently lower rates, but they are (on average) looking for signs of having money as a point of attraction, which rules out most of the young, so that hardly gives them a moral high ground either.

Baptist preachers earn a much lower salary for their level of education than other jobs, so obviously I have a good deal of respect for that, and I don't understand your lack of respect for someone who tries to help others but without getting the high salary of say, a politician or a nurse. Haters will hate, but its annoying how baptist preachers are going to get thrown under the bus, so someone with just as bad morals as everyone else including baptist preachers pretends they are better/smarter/etc.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: Dreamwatcher
The potential for abuse is so great. People will not even know they have a profile and yet could suffer the consequences of a malicious profile.

Try actually reading the article you post....

Positive ratings post immediately; negative ratings are queued in a private inbox for 48 hours in case of disputes. If you haven’t registered for the site, and thus can’t contest those negative ratings, your profile only shows positive reviews.

So simply do not register, what is so hard about that?

So two thoughts...

1) Why would anyone register? Who wants to bother ans dispute anything?
2) How does this 'service' know if the person who registers on the site is the person on the profile? Hacking *never* happens.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Good thing I don't give a sh#t what people think of me anyway.
Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I foresee suicides and and even worse behavior from people if this becomes popular, especially among teens...what if someone creates a fake profile for someone they don't like so everyone at school can rate them a 1?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Not only that, but people can actually end up getting hurt or even killed because of the information on that program.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Problem solved.

What about everyone else? It's not always a "Me" point of view that you have to consider.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
18+

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Everyone you know will be able to rate you on the terrifying ‘Yelp for people’ also known as "How to divide people and get to hate each other so the wont club together and gang up on the 1 percenters.

A nice little divide and rule tool, very nifty.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I suppose we could possible all rest now. This actually may be a hoax.

Source

An investigation by Snopes, which researches online hoaxes, seems to suggest so. "The entire concept appeared to have been conceived as late as 12 August 2015," says researcher Kim LaCapria. "[It] seems primarily geared to promoting video content involving Peeple co-founders, with virtually no independent verification of the app's actual existence". She also points out that McCullough appeared to have "no online footprint of which to speak" before Peeple went viral.

Hoax or not, experts say the app is unlikely to even be approved by Apple's app store. The company's guidelines stipulate that any app that is "defamatory, offensive, mean-spirited, or likely to place the targeted individual or group in harm's way" will be rejected.

Developers are also expected to encounter a number of legal a privacy difficulties too, according to Steven Heffer, a partner at the law firm Collyer-Bristow."I can only see a lot of headaches," he told the BBC. "It looks to me like potentially a recipe for a legal disaster."

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Problem solved.

What about everyone else? It's not always a "Me" point of view that you have to consider.

My family and friends know who I am.
That's all that really matters to me.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I suppose we could possible all rest now. This actually may be a hoax.

Source

An investigation by Snopes, which researches online hoaxes, seems to suggest so. "The entire concept appeared to have been conceived as late as 12 August 2015," says researcher Kim LaCapria. "[It] seems primarily geared to promoting video content involving Peeple co-founders, with virtually no independent verification of the app's actual existence". She also points out that McCullough appeared to have "no online footprint of which to speak" before Peeple went viral.

Hoax or not, experts say the app is unlikely to even be approved by Apple's app store. The company's guidelines stipulate that any app that is "defamatory, offensive, mean-spirited, or likely to place the targeted individual or group in harm's way" will be rejected.

Developers are also expected to encounter a number of legal a privacy difficulties too, according to Steven Heffer, a partner at the law firm Collyer-Bristow."I can only see a lot of headaches," he told the BBC. "It looks to me like potentially a recipe for a legal disaster."

Well if this is a hoax, someone should get on the real thing ASAP. This is genious!

In a world where social inreractions are cut off by smart devices, how else are we supposed to be accountable to one another?

This would just seem natural to me.

My opinion is based on the fact that peoples opinions of you would likely include your opinions about others. Its not like you can go around focusing on peoples bad points without other people making that a bad point about you.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

Something about this seems illegal in some way...right?

It is illegal. They have a term for it... Libel.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
In a way, this is like how people used that Topix website except with a bit more rules. On it anyone could make a post or reply anonymously. The majority of posts were all trash talk.

Over there, people would create a topic mentioning someones name, then they would get tons and tons of fake stories written about them.

My name once popped up on there, except it wasn't me, but someone who had an identical name who was serving a lifetime sentence in prison. However that made no difference as where I worked at, my vehicles, my phone number, and even where I lived was posted on there. People were flipping out about how this person was out of prison.

One day I started getting tons of hate text messages along with strange numbers calling leaving hateful voice-mails and had no clue why. Luckily a co-worker knew of that website and directed me there. This is how I first learned of that place.

It was difficult to get the thread removed by administrators, but it eventually got done before too much harassment/damage happened. Luckily some crazed person didn't show up at my house or cause damage to one of my vehicles.

I can see this happening on that new website. How would they confirm identities?

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Since negative critiques don't get posted unless you create an account yourself, there is at least some protection. However, as someone else stated, people might be capable of registering under your name without your consent, and then using different accounts or IPs or emails or what have you to fabricate all manner of shade to throw on your person.

As someone who suffers from severe social anxiety and could never cope with having a public, permanent profile in my real life name libelously dragging me through the mud, if anyone does that to me I reserve the right - if feasible - to seek legal action against both them and the site for libel and emotional damage. And I wouldn't blame anyone else for doing the same.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
Since negative critiques don't get posted unless you create an account yourself, there is at least some protection. However, as someone else stated, people might be capable of registering under your name without your consent, and then using different accounts or IPs or emails or what have you to fabricate all manner of shade to throw on your person.

As someone who suffers from severe social anxiety and could never cope with having a public, permanent profile in my real life name libelously dragging me through the mud, if anyone does that to me I reserve the right - if feasible - to seek legal action against both them and the site for libel and emotional damage. And I wouldn't blame anyone else for doing the same.

Peace.

What legal action could you seek if someone shared an opinion about you on Facebook?

Facebook was basically a specific aspect of Myspace that became popular in it's own . A site like what is mentioned in the OP, is just taking a specific aspect of Facebook - gossip - and make it popular on its own.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

Peace.

What legal action could you seek if someone shared an opinion about you on Facebook?

Facebook was basically a specific aspect of Myspace that became popular in it's own . A site like what is mentioned in the OP, is just taking a specific aspect of Facebook - gossip - and make it popular on its own.

Gossip is one thing, perhaps. What I'm talking about is any concerted effort to defame someone comprehensively and cause or incite harm to their person or reputation. E.g. libelous untruths manufactured solely for that purpose.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

Peace.

Gossip is one thing, perhaps. What I'm talking about is any concerted effort to defame someone comprehensively and cause or incite harm to their person or reputation. E.g. libelous untruths manufactured solely for that purpose.

Peace.

People can do that any time they like, on or off the internet. What makes a persons opinion matter is the manner in which they give their opinion.

If people are rated, then their opinion carries the same rating. If someone is being slanderous and rude, then peoples opinion of that someone and the weight of that someone's opinion is diminished.

It would likely evolve into breeding 2-faced political socialites. Is that something new?

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

I make a distinction between casual gossip and illegal Libel in terms of what I'm willing to personally tolerate with regard to my own person and reputation, when expressed about my full name and identity without my knowledge or consent, in a a public, permanent way. For a variety of reasons.

Feel free to disagree. I stand by what I've said.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

Bill:
Hey Sam... Did you see that site, Bigamajuice? Dude, someone posted you up there

Sam:
Who cares? I do not do any of that social media crap, so I just ignore what some idiot posts.
Stallion ducks point was that someone could post potentially private information, using a positive mask, if you ignore it then you have private things about you and your life out there for all to see, if you try and put a stop to it, it could open yourself up to all sorts of cyber bullying. I don't check my inbox every day, something negative could be posted about me and I wouldnt know until it was too late. I can count atleast on one hand a few people who would relish spreading bs about me simply because they don't like me.

This is a really bad idea

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join