It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if humanity encounter a primitive extraterrestrial civilization?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

I know, I know, they know what they're doing. There's nothing to worry about. It's not like we've made mistakes before, I know.

We got to move ahead anyway. We can't sit and worry ourselves over the small things. Progress always carries with it risk.

I say hte above only half sarcastically because it's true too.

I didn't say we haven't screwed up. it's nearly impossible to not contaminate a probe at some point before launch. it has to be handled to attach it to the booster and add the fairing after all. but the point is if we care enough to try not to accidentally send microbes for fear of them somehow out competing native microbes then obviously we'd care about more complex life more and intelligent life most of all.
edit on 3-10-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Think about it, if humans are so different all living on the same planet and few meters away from us. We live so close between us and yet we are so different that still scares me to think what an alien is going to be.

They will be so strange to us, that I hope they never found us. The encounter won't end well.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
I didn't say we haven't screwed up. it's nearly impossible to not contaminate a probe at some point before launch. it has to be handled to attach it to the booster and add the fairing after all. but the point is if we care enough to try not to accidentally send microbes for fear of them somehow out competing native microbes then obviously we'd care about more complex life more and intelligent life most of all.

There's no question we treat "lower" lifeforms with much less respect than ourselves. The fact factory farms are operating right now legally is a great example. We act like Nazi's towards them.

What doubt do you have if there was big value in going to Mars we'd trample over its microorganisms faster than Robert Zubrin can say "Go!"? Oh, we'd trample over htem alright, if the incentive existed. Right now incentive is mostly science. But tomorrow it could be big money. And we reduce the protocols whenver possible already, especially when they're 10% of the costs. I just read they reduced hte protocols after Viking, once they found out how dry and cold Mars was, admittedly to reduce costs and complexity. And of course I gave links about Venus, where they're cutting missions costs on the basis contamination betwen Earth/Venus is unlikely. And yet not everybody fully agrees, like Dirk Schulze-Makuch. In 2006(*), when this was all going on, he voiced his disapproval and became a phenomenon.

And I've also read it's impossible to 100% sterilize these craft. What'ya think? I wouild not be surprised. It goes along with what I said when I wrote progress involves risk. There's no way around it.

Your point is correct, though. We do show some care towards sterilizing our craft. We show comparably more care towards our own and, expectingly, more care towards intelligent creatures. And yet evenstill when the situation benefits us, we might throw all our cares aside. History shows we will exploit circumstances on occasion to the fullest. And honestly I don't know how much we can be blamed for it. I'm not emotional.

(*) - www.nap.edu - Assessment of Planetary Protection Requirements for Venus Missions -- Letter Report (2006)...
(*) - www.space.com - Planetary Protection Study Group Mulls Life On Venus...

"I wonder if they would come to the same conclusion if we would have confirmation that oceans on the surface of Venus existed for billions of years until fairly recently," Schulze-Makuch said, and that life originated there and later found a refuge in the Venusian atmosphere. Even as hostile conditions gradually increased within the atmosphere, life may have been able to hang on and could still be present in the cloud layers, he suggested.

"For me this is an entirely plausible scenario," Schulze-Makuch added.

edit on 10/3/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

So ET that are at the hunter gatherer level but have spaceships to get here?

I am confused.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I meant when we humans came in to a distant planet via spacecraft and made contact to the natives.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
a reply to: Astyanax

One thing, though: why blame humanity for behaving just the same as any other species would?

Maybe because mankind claims to be superior to other species. There is always talk of values and such but lack of matching actions.

a reply to: Astyanax

Not to mention humanity hated other humans for stupid reasons.

Look right now, we have Radical Christians and Muslims calling for homosexuals to be marginalized and in some cases even killed. If humanity can't get along with each other, what made you think we will get along with another intelligent species that isn't human at all.

edit on 3-10-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
Is it possible that there are primitive extraterrestrial civilizations?

Now a lot of people portray extraterrestrials as technologically advanced. Now what if there are some extraterrestrial civilizations that are primitive?

Like Extraterrestrials that is technologically in the level of Hunter Gatherers and the Middle Ages?

However, what if humanity come into close contact with them?

One of my greatest fear was due to humanity's savage nature they would try to seek to brutally subjugate that civilization.

A lot of people may argue that humanity might evolve into compassionate beings by the time they reach the cosmos but the cynical side on me says no matter what we do, there's always going to be darkness on our hearts.

I mean look at history and today humanity can't get along with each other because of stupid reasons like race, religion, and class. If humans encounter extraterrestrials it would be worse because humans would justify their brutality against them by saying that they are not humans.

Already been thought of....
edit on 10/3/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I say we anally probe them and do weird things to their crops.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
If we encountered this ET races of beings, we'd enslave them and steal their resources in the name of human sustainability and survival, all the mean while claiming that this ET race is taking our jobs and committing crimes.

Then once the ET's planet is destroyed, we'd get all teary eyed about how awesome they were and blame each other for the lack of doing anything about their world being destroyed.

Most likely this would be after a war we fought with them over their homeworld and them taking our jobs.

Once we lost but said we won, we'd explore until we found another race of beings and rise and repeat.

Oh wait, that was story of humans on earth, I'm not too sure what we'd do with ETs, maybe claim they weren't real in the 1st place?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I say we anally probe them and do weird things to their crops.
We could also mutilate their cattle.
edit on 3-10-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I meant when we humans came in to a distant planet via spacecraft and made contact to the natives.

That's like asking how a new born baby will react to seeing a stray cat when he is 40.

The world will be a completely different place.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Maybe because mankind claims to be superior to other species.

Who is 'mankind'?

I don't claim this. Neither have I heard anyone I know make this claim; on the contrary I've heard the opposite repeated a thousand times. My Facebook news feed is clogged with cute-animal memes and exposés of the livestock industry, dog farms and other forms of commercial cruelty to animals. Vegans are forever trying to shame me out of my carnivorous habits.

On TV, I see David Attenborough and a dozen popular imitators presenting documentaries about wild animals and nature that are almost worshipful in tone, while the James Herriots of this world do the same for the animals that live side by side with humans. The literature of animal nobility, even superiority, is at least as old as Moby-Dick, published in 1851. From Jack London to Gerald Durrell, it has earned millions for publishers (if not for the authors themselves).

People lavish love and affection on pets and rescued strays. Americans spent $56bn on pets in 2013.

And all this is in the West alone. Move beyond your cultural space and you'll see an even more encouraging picture.

Respect for all life is ingrained in Hindu, Jain and Buddhist cultures around the world. It doesn't mean animal cruelty doesn't occur in those cultures; but nowhere in the greater Indian cultural space defined by these faiths are animals souls thought any different to human ones; the same atman passes through many lives, sometimes as a person, sometimes as an animal, sometimes as a god or demon. The essence remains the same.

In most pagan and primitive cultures the same is true. Animals are credited with souls and psychic powers. Totem animals are actually worshipped.

When you come down to it, your 'mankind' is just Western Christendom — and nowadays, only a fraction of it — plus some Jews and Muslims. Mostly, it's just folk trying to find excuses for eating meat. And even among Muslims, few members of the world's two biggest Islamic communities (the Indian and the Indonesian) would subscribe to the doctrine of 'superiority' of man over the animals.

edit on 4/10/15 by Astyanax because: of stuff.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Oh wait, that was story of humans on earth, I'm not too sure what we'd do with ETs, maybe claim they weren't real in the 1st place?

Hum if they had attractive females our astronauts would not hesitate they would muck up the species!

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Living microorganisms is not in the cards, even underground in deep craters in sunless place. As they say, the moon is FAR drier than the direst desert on Earth.)

because of lack of water

There is water on plenty of the bodies in our system but if life can form that needs zero water here why not elsewhere?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join