It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if humanity encounter a primitive extraterrestrial civilization?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
If they already have an existing civilization...i.e. villages, plant crops, etc. We would probably assist them by teaching new techniques and technologies.

If they were only slightly more advanced than, say, chimpanzees...we would probably protect them and study them...but we would protect them.

When scientists encounter previously unknown primitive tribes in the rain-forests, they don't enslave them.

We've even put Bigfoot on the protected species list...making it a crime to shoot one, even though nobody has even proven they're real.

As much as I want to agree with you sadly its not gonna happen.

Humans aren't kind with one another and with extraterrestrials, they would focus their brutality on them.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Do they taste nice?.
Basic first question.

If they do, someone will write a cookbook like the Kanamits did in 1962.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

P.L.U.R ... lol

Oh those raver kids. Ignoring their dark sides and pretending like they don't exist. Eventually the crappy parts of life catch up with you and whack you over the head. Once the pink cloud turns grey you fall very, very hard. It's much better to embrace all parts of yourself including the nasty ones.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Do they taste nice?.
Basic first question.

Lol

2nd , can they put iPhone parts together?

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The really horrible thing would be if we saw them making the same kinds of disastrous mistakes we have already made, and yet could do nothing to interfere...worth thinking about.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
It would depend on whether or not there was a profit to be made out of them or their planet.

If there was none, I think they would stand a good chance of being left alone, never even contacted.

If there were sitting on the metaphorical gold mine, it would be a different matter.

One thing, though: why blame humanity for behaving just the same as any other species would?

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

One thing, though: why blame humanity for behaving just the same as any other species would?

Maybe because mankind claims to be superior to other species. There is always talk of values and such but lack of matching actions.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Clearly we enslave them, have them worship us and use their planet and goods.

Or we eat them... The evil alien race is most likely us....

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I suppose what would happen to them would basically come down to whether or not they could be counted on to vote democrat.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
feh. i remind you that we have bio-security protocols to prevent contamination of even bacterial level life by our probes. we do final assembly and testing in clean rooms with anti contamination clothing mask gloves and booties on.

probably we would if anything send anthropologists who would most likely remain cloaked with metamaterial suits and vehicle coatings. we might not even be able to interact at all or even be seen. surveilence would be by orbiting spy satellites and stealthy probes.

but really even contact and relations would not hurt anything if we made clear we were not gods or demons or supernatural creatures and were interested in their culture, and history and their current level of technical skills. it is quite possible to exchange goods at a very very basic levels for example hand crafted goods, farm produce, botanical specimens, biological specimens and so forth without giving them firearms or explosives and things like that that would destabilize their local political balances of power or risk destroying them with stuff they are not ready to handle.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Clearly we enslave them, have them worship us and use their planet and goods.

Yes

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
We ARE the primitive civilization. We carelessly and destructively use up natural resources, with no thought for future generations. We let political, economic, and religioous interests wreak havoc on individual lives, society as a whole, and our whole environment, for some perverted, immediate, short-sighted goals. Even animals don't behave in this fashion.

In fact, a civilisation might be an "anomaly" in the natural (and harmonious) course of things, whereby a group of animals achieves a dominant status over other life forms and over the whole environment, but which ultimately leads to its extinction.
edit on 3-10-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
feh. i remind you that we have bio-security protocols to prevent contamination of even bacterial level life by our probes. we do final assembly and testing in clean rooms with anti contamination clothing mask gloves and booties on.

probably we would if anything send anthropologists who would most likely remain cloaked with metamaterial suits and vehicle coatings. we might not even be able to interact at all or even be seen. surveilence would be by orbiting spy satellites and stealthy probes.

but really even contact and relations would not hurt anything if we made clear we were not gods or demons or supernatural creatures and were interested in their culture, and history and their current level of technical skills. it is quite possible to exchange goods at a very very basic levels for example hand crafted goods, farm produce, botanical specimens, biological specimens and so forth without giving them firearms or explosives and things like that that would destabilize their local political balances of power or risk destroying them with stuff they are not ready to handle.

www.wired.co.uk - Curiosity could be carrying Earth bacteria, threatening search for Mars life...

And may as well point the finger at Venus too:
www.space.com - Planetary Protection Study Group Mulls Life On Venus...

In light of its findings, the task group advised NASA that future Venus spacecraft don't need to undergo stringent planetary protection protocol. Only simple documentation is appropriate.

"I am satisfied with the conclusions," NASA's John Rummel told SPACE.com, "and hope that Venus science will proceed at a rate that will make another update necessary before another 30 years have passed. Venus Express is a good step in that direction!"

I know, I know, they know what they're doing. There's nothing to worry about. It's not like we've made mistakes before, I know.

We got to move ahead anyway. We can't sit and worry ourselves over the small things. Progress always carries with it risk.

I say hte above only half sarcastically because it's true too.
edit on 10/3/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

www.wired.co.uk - Curiosity could be carrying Earth bacteria, threatening search for Mars life...

And may as well point the finger at Venus too:
www.space.com - Planetary Protection Study Group Mulls Life On Venus...

In light of its findings, the task group advised NASA that future Venus spacecraft don't need to undergo stringent planetary protection protocol. Only simple documentation is appropriate.

"I am satisfied with the conclusions," NASA's John Rummel told SPACE.com, "and hope that Venus science will proceed at a rate that will make another update necessary before another 30 years have passed. Venus Express is a good step in that direction!"

I know, I know, they know what they're doing. There's nothing to worry about. It's not like we've made mistakes before, you know.

Life is everywhere and finds a way!

A rare, recently discovered microbe that survives on very little to eat has been found in two places on Earth: spacecraft clean rooms in Florida and South America.

Haha

This population of berry-shaped bacteria is so different from any other known bacteria, it has been classified as not only a new species, but also a new genus, the next level of classifying the diversity of life. Its discoverers named it Tersicoccus phoenicis. Tersi is from Latin for clean, like the room.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The hypothesis is a true waste of bandwidth.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well, based on our current way of doing things - I would guess that after "first contact" was made, we would establish an embassy there and begin discussions regarding imports/exports, tourism, and other forms of trade agreements and what not. When they decide that it's not really fair to their species, our military would begin to teach the newly formed alien "resistance" in ways of combat and provide weapons and military aid. Eventually these alien freedom fighters would beat down the oppressive majority of aliens and we would help them in their transition to power - of course with extremely favorable trade agreements for us.

Eventually it would become a wasteland and there would be protests on Earth regarding the alien refugees becoming too big of a population in our cities - so we'll pull our forces out (nothing of value left after all) and whoever is in charge at the time will be hailed for ending the war.

Well, that is until the (CIA funded) Alien Jihad started their attacks on Earth and the invasion of their planet begins in full...
edit on 3-10-2015 by tallcool1 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy
We don't know life is everywhere ELSEWHERE. Caveat: Life seems to be everwhere on Earth IF there's water.

However, we have to be careful what we assume. On the other hand, we can't know everything. The only forward sometimes is to step into the unknown armed with the best available information.

We will make mistakes. There's no way to avoid it. And the future will judge us harshly anyway. We're judgemental beings.

Is this speciesism? Maybe. But some of it's unintended.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
We don't know life is everywhere ELSEWHERE. Caveat: Life seems to be everwhere on Earth IF there's water.

However, we have to be careful what we assume. On the other hand, we can't know everything. The only forward sometimes is to step into the unknown armed with the best available information.

We will make mistakes. There's no way to avoid it. And the future will judge us harshly anyway. We're judgemental beings.

Is this speciesism? Maybe. But some of it's unintended.

Results of the scope of scientific experiments which had been conducted for a quite long time were summed up in the previous year, confirming that some organisms can live on the surface of the International Space Station (ISS) for years amid factors of a space flight, such as zero gravity, temperature conditions and hard cosmic radiation. Several surveys proved that these organisms can even develop.”

I think we will find life is abundant in many forms everywhere. We have radiation proof, heat proof, cold proof and ones who can live with little water or no water go dormant and dry for years until they get water.

www.livescience.com...

I like

These species have been found over 2 miles (3 km) below the Earth's surface, and may live even deeper. Water is scarce at these depths, but some studies suggest they feed on surrounding iron, potassium, or sulfur.

This newfound creature, a loriciferan identified as an undescribed species of the genus Spinoloricus. The creature has specialized organelles so that it can survive without oxygen. Scale bar is 50 microns.

edit on 3-10-2015 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the information. I think you're referring to the earthy extromophiles? We still haven't found ET, so...

Btw, here's an article going into much further depth with regard to Venus and the (lack of) planetary protection protocol:
www.science20.com - If there is Life in Venus Cloud Tops - Do we Need to Protect Earth - or Venus - Could Returned XNA mean Goodbye DNA for Instance?...

Anyone have any idea how well we cleaned our moon landers? Something tells me we were not as well studied in those days. I know it's unlikely for us to "infect" the moon, but I have to ask. If we can fail to clean Curiosity (perfectly) something tells me the door is wide open for moon landers from over 40 years ago... Even back then I don't think anybody thought there would be any life on the moon, but I'd have to look.

(I do think it's possibly there're fossils of earth microorgnisms in debris deposited there from earth impacts? Living microorganisms is not in the cards, even underground in deep craters in sunless place. As they say, the moon is FAR drier than the direst desert on Earth.)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
We would give them Wampum, trinkets, STI's and small pox in equal measures. Then steal their stuff.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join