It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Americans Find Creative Ways to Aid Victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
From the Kentucky widow who held a charity New Years eve fund raiser to the collage that offered free basketball tickets for a donation, to the group of children who stood in the rain selling hot chocolate, America has come together to raise money for disaster relief in Asia.

story.news.yahoo.com
BOSTON - A Kentucky widow, moved by the cries of grief she heard in reports about the tsunami disaster in south Asia, invited her entire town to a New Year's Eve bash to raise money for the victims. In California, a college offered free basketball tickets, with a gift for relief efforts the only price of admission.

A group of children in a Seattle suburb stood out in the rain offering "Hot Chocolate for Tidal Wave Relief!" and raised $255.

In ways large and small, people around the country have found ways to help victims of one of history's worst natural disasters.

"I can say the outpouring has been amazing," said Coco McCabe, a spokeswoman for the Oxfam International relief agency. "Even though it's happening on the other side of the world, it feels so close."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many of have been appalled at the finger pointing that occurred in the days following the Asian tsunami disaster. Many of you chose politics over reality, trusting to you prejudices and perceptions to formulate your negative opinion. America will no doubt lead the world in contributions when this tragic period is over. Unlike most countries private donations will no doubt eclipse what the government gives. Shame on the doubters and naysayers both here on ATS and the world.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Unlike most countries private donations will no doubt eclipse what the government gives. Same on the doubters and naysayers both here on ATS and the world.

Why are you so quick to assume that the private donations of other countries will not also be high?
I've heard that on a few of the threads but I don't think it's true.

The British public has so far donated over $115 million (60 million pounds) link

It looks like the German public has donated at least $26 million dollars. link

I'm sure the citizens of other nations will also donate.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Ace never said that all countries, just most. But the demographics of the U.S. and its history of giving will no doubt hold true.

What still cheeses me off is the members that took the oppurtunity of this disaster to go off on yet another "US Sucks" rant that get really old.

[edit on 1/1/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

What still cheeses me off is the members that took the oppurtunity of this disaster to go off on yet another "US Sucks" rant that get really old.

I'll agree with you on that.
I've never called the US cheap or stingy as I don't think that's the case.

My posts on the contributions of others have only been to counter claims that other nations are not giving enough.

top topics

join