It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget the zeroes and remember the heroes...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I am tired of the faces of evil that are purported by the shooters in the incidents of the lat 10 -15 years. The WEEK after 9/11 TIME magazine had a picture of OBL on it. It made me sick...glorifying murder. The media does it all the time....

The Colorado shooter...Virginia Tech...Sandy Hook...Columbine. Their faces plastered on the TV and internet and their stories told...but what about the heroes? Do you remember the name of the teacher at Sandy Hook who saved all of her students by hiding them and then herself shot and killed? We should.....

Link

The one to remember is 30-year-old Chris Mintz, the student and Army vet who was shot at least five times while charging straight at the gunman in an effort to save others.

Mintz did so on the sixth birthday of his son, Tyrik.

During the shooting in Oregon yesterday,Chris Mintz, a former US soldier tried to stop the shooting when his training kicked in. Shot 5 times, on his sons birthday, he tried. It may never be known how many were saved by his actions but he tried. He did not sit back and wait to be slaughtered.

Remember the right Chris!

So, this evening, discuss the heroes with friends and family and not those who killed the innocents. Discuss what your family or children would do if this happened to them.
edit on 10am31amf0000002015-10-02T11:31:13-05:001113 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Touching story, I have not seen that in the story. All I see are different numbers being dead and wounded dependent on the news source. I assume 15 are in fact dead. Oh and OP, it appears your link isn't working, or is that just me?

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Indeed. Really good that you mention that.

I honestly never heard of it...it takes some guts to charge to your death.

True heroes. I always wondered would I have it...or would fear prevail. I guess you just dont know until you find yourself in that moment.

Good OP.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly
Did he die? From what I read he was shot seven times, two broken legs and in surgery. I'll check it out.
That's according to NBC

edit on 2-10-2015 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I read this morning Chris should be o.k. A hero true enough.

Snf.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
From what I have read he will need PT to learn to walk again but otherwise should be ok. I just get tired of the glorification of those who commit these crimes.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
From what I have read he will need PT to learn to walk again but otherwise should be ok. I just get tired of the glorification of those who commit these crimes.

The instances of these attacks are accelerating, that's very worrying.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This thread should be receiving a lot more #ing attention however the dimwits wont stop debating about gun control.

Gun control does not solve mentally unstable murders. People like this do.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the GoFundMe for Chris Mintz?

So far 23,549 people have given $788,578 and the goal was only $10k...

I say we leave Obama in Roseburg and send Chris to DC to take on the rest of the perpetraitors...

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Some other interesting quotes on this story:

“I will not give him the credit he probably sought,” Hanlin said of the killer. “You will never hear me use his name.” But if you hear it, forget that Chris in that very instant. Think of Chris Mintz, who was shot while rushing a killer on his son’s sixth birthday. Forget the zeroes and remember the heroes.

Forget Oregon’s Gunman. Remember the Hero Who Charged Straight at Him

Hanlin's decision to not broadcast Mercer's name appears to fall in line with the mission of the "No Notoriety" campaign, an effort by the victims and families of mass shootings to avoid focusing on killers and giving them notoriety.

The goal of the campaign is to urge media outlets to avoid showing photos of killers or using their names past the initial identification. Instead of covering the killer, supporters of the campaign prefer the media to run stories covering the victims.

"No Notoriety" grew out of the aftermath of the 2012 Aurora, Colo. theater shooting, which saw extensive coverage of shooter James Holmes and his ensuing trial. As mass shootings become more commonplace, they can sometimes be seen as an opportunity for the shooter to achieve their 15 minutes of fame.

And the more heinous the crime, the longer America remembers their name. The "No Notoriety" campaign recognizes this and urges media outlets to limit their exposure and coverage of killers, in order to possibly prevent inspiring others.

Oregon Sheriff John Hanlin Won't Name The Umpqua Gunman

Suppose no one had ever heard the names Adam Lanza, James Holmes, Dylann Roof and Kip Kinkel. Would anyone be hearing the name Chris Harper-Mercer now? The impulse to deny a killer the recognition he evidently sought is understandable, but ultimately misguided. The man who pulled the trigger had a name, a face and a past that cannot be ignored.

Unless every evildoer in the world could somehow be ignored, nobodies desperate to be somebodies will always find examples to follow. The way to deny Harper-Mercer the attention he sought is not by pretending he didn’t exist, but by keeping him in context — a context that above all includes 16 dead and injured victims.

registerguard.com...

“On an interesting note, I have noticed that so many people like him are all alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are,” the UCC killer-to-be wrote on August 31.

He went on: “A man who was known by no one, is now known by everyone. His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems the more people you kill, the more you’re in the limelight.”

Forget Oregon’s Gunman. Remember the Hero Who Charged Straight at Him

top topics

join