It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian brought to UK 'worked for 11p a day'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

A woman recruited from India to be a domestic servant for a family in the UK, and who was awarded almost £184,000 in unpaid wages after being paid 11p an hour, has told the Victoria Derbyshire programme she worked "all day and all night".
Last month, a groundbreaking employment tribunal found Permila Tirkey, 39, had been discriminated against because of her "low caste." It heard she had been recruited by Pooja and Ajay Chandhok because they wanted someone "servile".

Indian brought to UK 'worked for 11p a day'

Let me first say that this is wrong, no matter who did the exploiting. I feel really sorry for this woman. For the record, I haven't fully watched the video as my IT department block such activities due to "bandwidth issues" (!).

Having said all of that, had the employing couple been of a different race, I think the headline, and maybe the outcome, would have been very different.

What think you?

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

Yes, we'd have paid her £7/h cash in hand.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
This is why illegal immigration is storing up problems, in that individuals can be merrily exploited.

There are many example, including of traveller families using vulnerable people as "free" labour i.e. slaves and many others being forcing people into prostitution etc.

Depending on source, the UK has around 500,000 illegals. These people are working in the black economy and without a doubt the vast majority are exploited. How many of the recent arrivals via Calais are now working out-of-sight? They have to earn their bread somehow and very much doubt the "living wage" applies.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

People are fond of accusing others nationalities of being 'racist'

but as I have said before in other threads ... that they are *more

racist* among themselves, than any one from any other race.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The illegal immigrants makes the U.S. Go round, oh sorry; in the US of A everyone has the same right as being equal as... Who am I kidding!!! Home of the slaves!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is not the case of an illegal, no?

IME work visas for sponsoring a domestic servant/maid are stil pretty common as evidenced in the OP

indeed though they perhaps visa-granting departments need a system in place to forward the sponsor's info to an investigating bureau to ensure labor compliance

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Milah

Not the case of an illegal, no. Earning 11p/day is exploitation that goes just that one step beyond.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hyperia
The illegal immigrants makes the U.S. Go round, oh sorry; in the US of A everyone has the same right as being equal as... Who am I kidding!!! Home of the slaves!!!

Ya, maybe you should go ahead and actually read things before commenting on them...

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
So, as disturbing as this report is, it provokes so little feedback from ATS? Hmm.

top topics

join