It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Harper Mercer Oregon's Alleged Umqua Community College Shooter Identified, Police Say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Chris Harper Mercer, 26, has been identified as the shooter responsible for taking the lives of at least 10 people at a community college in southwest Oregon earlier Thursday, law enforcement sources confirmed to CBS News. Law enforcement officers shot and killed Mercer in an exchange of gunfire later Thursday afternoon.

Chris Harper Mercer Oregon's Alleged Umqua Community College Shooter Identified, Police Say

It would seem a lot of us got it wrong with Toby Reynolds. I started a new thread as the other one felt a bit tainted with a lot of inaccurate information on the actual shooter....gathering more now.

Law enforcement authorities responded to calls that there was an active shooter on campus at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, at roughly 10:38 a.m. PDT. Ten people were killed and 20 more were injured. The shooter reportedly open fire in one building on campus before moving to the school's science building. Victims were found in at least two buildings. Mercer allegedly asked people to stand up and state their religion, and then started firing, the News-Review, a local newspaper for Douglas County, Oregon, reported.

Umpqua Community College officials tweeted Thursday evening that the college would be closed until Monday.

Investigators are reportedly examining social media posts Mercer made Wednesday night, according to CNN. He appeared to have had a conversation with others online about his intentions, a source said.

It has apparently been confirmed by police.

Photo

ETA:

Ok.....so his email address has apparently been linked to an online name of Lithium_Love by The Daily Beast and this is one of his blogs....very odd:

Source

One on the Houston Cop Shooting:

I just read about the houston cop shooting. Figured I'd post this since the response to my previous blog post on vester flanagan was so interesting. On the houston shooting it was reported that the suspect was influenced by black lives matter protests/movement. Although I don't know if thats true, with all the issues about police and blacks/protestors in the news the past couple of years, it certainly seems like someone would be inspired to take action. With the constant chants of anti police rhetoric this was bound to happen. I don't disagree that police brutality and excessive use of force is a problem, but killing an officer that never did anything to you is not the answer.

This whole event seems similar to the one in new york earlier this year where that guy killed those two cops sitting in a parked car. The inflammatory rhetoric on both sides, whether warranted or not will only continue to agitate the situation and events such as these will happen more and more. These are just my thoughts on the matter. Will continue to post more blogs on related subjects, as well any interesting thoughts I may have.

P.S.
In case anyone's wondering, I'm not on the side of the suspect, I'm on the side of the officer, and generally don't agree with the black lives matter protests

And the most interesting one on The Vester Flanagan Shooting from August 31, 2015...just a month ago:

As I'm sure you all know, a few days ago there was a shooting in Virginia. A man named Vester Flanagan opened fire on two former colleagues on live tv. He also recorded his own footage of the event. While reading about the event, I read some excerpts of his manifesto the media was releasing. And I have to say, anyone who knew him could have seen this coming. People like him have nothing left to live for, and the only thing left to do is lash out at a society that has abandoned them.

His family described him as alone, no partner/lover. A victim not only of his own perception but also of our social media soaked enviroment. He posted the footage on facebook and twitter as well tweeting while he was running from the cops because he wanted the world to see his actions, much like many others post menial and trivial details of their life online and expect us to see it. Only his was at least a bit more interesting.

On an interesting note, I have noticed that so many people like him are all alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are. A man who was known by no one, is now known by everyone. His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems the more people you kill, the more your're in the limelight.

Sorry if this seems a bit disjointed, but these are just my thoughts on the matter. I thought I'd post this seeing as how my last blog post generated some good comments.

Also, if anyone gets the chance, go on youtube and see the footage of him shooting those people. It's a short video but good nonetheless. Will post more later

With this being the most relevant snippet:

On an interesting note, I have noticed that so many people like him are all alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are. A man who was known by no one, is now known by everyone. His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems the more people you kill, the more your're in the limelight.

edit on 10/1/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Mercer allegedly asked people to stand up and state their religion, and then started firing
There's a shocker.
edit on 1-10-2015 by AshOnMyTomatoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Reportedly he had three pistols and a rifle. They are currently tracing them to see where they were bought.
edit on 10/1/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There's something strange about this one. They're being pretty type lipped so far.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I found it refreshing for want of a better word, to see actual footage & photos of genuine people in distress together with bullets police ambulances and the rest. *Snip*
edit on 10/1/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
My guess is they kept this one tight lipped until they could have all of his social media taken down. I can't find a damn thing on this guy. That pic is the only one I can find anywhere and I understand it came from MySpace....didn't know anyone even used that anymore.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

The former president of an Oregon community college where a gunman killed ten people and injured seven Thursday said in an interview the school only has one unarmed security guard on duty at a time.

Once again, a sick coward targeted an unprotected area, knowing there would be no one there with a weapon to stop him. I wonder which religion was "appropriate".
edit on 1-10-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
More pics from his MySpace account:

He seems to have a thing for the IRA.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It is being said that this "person" went around asking if people were "Christian".

NY Post

edit on 1-10-2015 by DerekJR321 because: added link

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

It would seem a lot of us got it wrong with Toby Reynolds. I started a new thread as the other one felt a bit tainted with a lot of inaccurate information on the actual shooter....gathering more now.

Yes it would seem so.... in this day of INSTANT info, cyber sleuths, and lazy Media... I would urge pause...

I don't see how jumping to conclusions, naming names, helps the folks who have lost their lives...

Light a candle would be a more supportive move to acknowledge the loss of lives who were taken...

Let's not make it worse by cyber speculation .....

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Mercer is an Irish name AFAIK. I come from an area where 90 percent have Irish ancestry, and it's a common name.

Still, I seriously doubt that this guy murdered a bunch of college kids because of his support for the (now quite defunct) IRA. He was a violent psychopath who wanted to kill.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I am starting to think people posing for photos with nothing but their gun and a lack of expression should be seen as a sign of something...
Strange one.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Great point.

This happens too damned often. The saddest thing is, nothing will change. Then it happens again to another group of kids and we all agree that it's so very sad.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
He is from Winchester where his mother works as a nurse practitioner......about 18 minutes from Umpqua. Both lived in Torrance, CA then moved to Winchester...not sure how long ago though.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DerekJR321

It should be noted in light of the speculated IRA motivation that the Irish republican fighters were themselves devout Christians. It was a matter of conflict between Catholics and protestants, and both sides committed atrocities.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Geez....good thing he didn't go to the elementary school just down the road from his house. This event was tragic enough, but there is an elementary school walking distance from his house.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
www.foxnews.com...

The former president of an Oregon community college where a gunman killed ten people and injured seven Thursday said in an interview the school only has one unarmed security guard on duty at a time.

Once again, a sick coward targeted an unprotected area, knowing there would be no one there with a weapon to stop him. I wonder which religion was "appropriate".

That is my question. Hate to say it, but I can make a guess, Islam... Any other religion and I don't think that would be a question, unless he targeted muslim students.

ETA: Unless he was targeting a branch of Christianity, like the IRA did.
edit on 1/10/15 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

(post by Telepathy3 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

Seems like everyone got shot, but it does seem like he went for the kill with Christians.
If the grandmas claim is correct.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Monger

Perhaps we was killing non Catholics, Christian is pretty broad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join