It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Mass shootings are 'something we should politicize'

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I don't think it has anything to do with the 2nd Amendment.

The problem is the mindset that all problems can be most easily resolved by the use of guns.

Those people who readily agree with that mindset are the exact ones who should never be able to buy guns.

Figuring out who those people are might be difficult, especially in a population which sees an arsenal as being a normal part of the home, like a bathroom or a clothes closet. The dream, I suppose, is the kind of arsenal shown in The Matrix as it 'materializes' at the push of a button. I've seen pictures of real arsenals that actually blew my mind, but that one in the movie was truly remarkable.

Then, there's the weapons stored in the mausoleum where John Conner's mother was supposedly buried, but the casket contained dozens of spectacular guns which Arnie took with him in Rise of the Machines.

See where I'm going with this? Hollywood movies, which everyone watches, tell the same story... have guns, will survive. Now take some fruitcake who has an axe to grind, add constant images on television and big screens of guns making things 'right again' and you know where these notions are based on.

Remember, when the Walking Dead start lurching towards you with the idea that you're a nice little nosh, guns are great for headshots.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Well for some the oath is, "God, land and Samuel Colt."

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Well for some the oath is, "God, land and Samuel Colt."

Actually the motto is.

God created man.

Colt made them EQUAL.

And guns do make people equal.

Black or white,rich or poor, man or woman.

Gun ownership is the epitome of equality.

Perhaps that is the real problem in America.

We can't have people being equal.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Let's see something...

What President Obama wants to do is to ban all assault rifles (semi-automatics are considered as assault rifles) and lower all clips to only 10 rounds.

The thing is according to the FBI more people are killed in the U.S. with knives than with rifles or even shotguns and rifles together.

In 2011 there were 323 murders with rifle, and 356 with shotguns. But there were 1,694 murders with knives or other cutting instruments and 496 murders with blunt objects.

Yes, i know that there were 8,583 murders with guns, including 1,587 unspecified murders with firearms. Kind of strange of not specifying the type of firearms, but anyways.

www.fbi.gov...

Banning "assaults style rifles" is not going to solve the problem, more so when more people are killed with non firearms than with rifles or shotguns. So it is obvious that banning assault weapons is simply an excuse by the Obama administration to ban a type of weapon they simply don't want Americans to have, and not because more people are killed with them.

Now, bear with me. In total the amount of murders in 2011 that were not related to firearms was 4,081. While 8,583 murders were with all types of firearms, about 1,587 cases were not specified what type of firearm was used, or was simply specified as "other firearm".

Then we have to ask, how many of those murders were done by gang members? The majority of gang members use illegal firearms.

Then, how many of those murders occurred in states where firearms are heavily restricted or banned?

Lowering gun clips to only 10 rounds will not solve anything either. There will still continue to be such murders, so it is obvious that this is a "baby step" towards the true goal of this administration to completely ban firearms to citizens.

Not only that, but why is it that the United States is always scrutinized by certain people when countries like Venezuela have more murders with firearms?

For instance.

According to Wikipedia. *rolls eyes*

The United States had 10.65 deaths by firearms per 100k people.
Yet...

Argentina had 10.5 per 100k

Brazil 19.03 per 100k

Colombia 28.14 per 100k

El Salvador 46.85 per 100k

Guatemala 36.38 per 100k

Honduras 64.8 per 100k

Jamaica 39.74 per 100k

Mexico 11.17 per 100k

Panama 17.60 per 100k

South Africa 21.51 per 100k

Swaziland 37.16 per 100k

Uruguay 14.01 per 100k

Venezuela 50.90
en.wikipedia.org...

Now, this is what these countries report.

The point is this, the United States is not the nation with the worst murder rates related to firearms.

Nations like Argentina, which is not a third world nation, and has very restrictive firearm laws yet still the amount of murders is nearly identical to the United States.

In a nation like Venezuela the murders with firearms is 50.90 per 100k. Yet there are no major announcements in the world media about these murders in Venezuela...

The majority of gun related murders in the United States occur in states and cities with heavily restricted laws or laws that ban firearms.

I know some people are going to claim that compared to Europe the United States is worse. But if we were about to talk about intentional homicide rates, Denmark/Greenland is part of Europe and the "intentional homicide rate" in that European country is 19.4 per 100k compared to the mainland United States with 4.7 per 100k.

The underlying causes for murders are not firearms, because those who want to commit murders will find ways to do so even if firearms were banned.

edit on 2-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add link and correct comment.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

A person can like movies like The Matrix, or Terminator and not be a "murderer"... Nor have the arsenals portrayed in such movies...

Are there people who have a lot of weapons? sure there are. But first, it doesn't mean that person wants to go in a killing spree... There are people who collect weapons. And even if they do not collect weapons who are you to tell them they can't do so? As long as that person is not a criminal why is it so wrong in the mind of some people?

BTW...i do not have a large arsenal of weapons... *rolls eyes*
edit on 2-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

So because some non-first world nations have worse gun records it absolves THE first world country from trying, at least try, to fix it's problem?

That's really different. It's not, "We're #1." It's "We're not Honduras." Think about that.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Argentina is a first world nation with heavily restrictive firearm laws... Yet they have about the same amount of murder rates with firearms as the United States. Think about that...

Yet, in total intentional homicides Argentina surpasses the U.S. with 5.5 intentional homicides in Argentina compared to 4.7 in the united States. Greenland/Denmark (an European nation) has 19.4

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment and link.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Is there ANY law that would have prevented this? ANY???????

Didn't think so.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Is there ANY law that would have prevented this? ANY???????

Didn't think so.

Well we all know the FEDERAL,STATE,and LOCAL LAWs that says, 'Thou shall not kill'

Sure didn't.
edit on 2-10-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Argentina is a first world nation with heavily restrictive firearm laws... Yet they have about the same amount of murder rates with firearms as the United States. Think about that...

OK. Just did. You're saying that America is equal to the best of the worst. Ya. Think about it.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

originally posted by: neformore

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: neformore
You want the second amendment to be erased from history?

Where did I say that, exactly?

Why the hell can't people read properly these days?

Oh wait...because actually reading something doesn't suit your argument/rant.

I said laws can change. I didn't say it should be removed.

Thats the problem with this argument. People aren't rational about it.

At all.

And you misunderstood what I was trying to say, that is why I asked a question, I think you passionate approach to the topic is no letting you see well, either that or my use of the English language is not very clear for you English is not my first language you know.

Netformore ratifying the second amendment is the dream of government, what do you think it will happen if they get the chance to do it? and you think they will stop there? that is why I say do you want the second amendment erased from history because that is what can happen if you want guns to be banned.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

OK. Just did. You're saying that America is equal to the best of the worst. Ya. Think about it.

Nope. Argentina is the most European like nation in South America.

And let's not even talk about the crime figures in Europe, a section of the world known to hide crime rates to save face... including rapes, assaults and even murders.

Naa...

At Leisure Europe

French Riviera's Crime Rate Reflects a Nationwide Trend
By Abby Hirsch Weinsteinn Special to The Wall Street Journal
Updated May 10, 2002 12:01 a.m. ET

Crime on the Riviera? We're not talking Cary Grant in Alfred Hitchcock's "To Catch a Thief." These days, the threat is all too real, and has holiday travelers worried.

The rising crime rate in the south of France reflects a nationwide trend that played a major role in this year's French elections. The French were shocked when in March the newspaper Le Figaro reported a mid-1999 statistic that the rate of crime directed at individuals in France was higher than in the U.S.

www.wsj.com...

I do question the crime figures in the United States, more so when there has been for a long time a known attempt time and again to get the United States under UN rule and to abolish/destroy the U.S. Constitution.

European nations are more than likely to "love" to be involved in a One World government, than Americans are.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Think about this.

What the gun control crowd is saying is:

The state has more rights to firearms than the people do.

Is that 'equal' ?

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

All that kills people regardless, but for some reason guns is the topic of the day.

the irony.

what the government did with drunk and driving well they make more laws to keep people from driving under the influences, now cellular phones is killing more people than alcohol but neither has been banned.

The irony, deflection? not is just comparisons, what makes people dying from guns more important than dying from any other reasons?

Agendas.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If the left really wanted to bring down gun crime, violent crime, and even some mass shootings then they wouldn't of made it harder for people to be committed, they wouldn't of been against what Rudy Giuliani did/allow other cities to adopt similar policies, protest the hiring of more police officers, a national database for people who have mental illness, expanding stop and frisk (which actually did work and forced many violent criminals to not carry guns), and limit 4th amendment rights.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Clinton started running on about it today.

Clinton at private fundraiser: SCOTUS is ‘wrong about the Second Amendment’

What she FAILS to mention is that Columbine happened at the height of her husbands ASWB.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

My thoughts exactly...they keep complaining that he will take their guns and their right to bear arms...they still have their bear arms
and their guns too!! I still have mine...I'm not worried!

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: neo96

I will hold his office to account then, and since they are the purveyors of the largest mass shootings in modern history (disguised as "military intervention" for control of sovereign countries vital Oil reserves) those who have held any position of US political power since October 2001 when they invaded Afghanistan and murdered thousands should all be tried in the International Criminal Court.

All those who have held any position of US political power since then who have clearly endorsed this "freedom and Democracy - for Oil" policy should also be tried and convicted.

What's good for the Gander - is good for the goose.

and he is a goose.

Sublimecraft, I have to slightly disagree with one of your points - Afghanistan was not just about oil. Afghanistan, in addition to oil, has a large amount of mineral deposits (gold, copper, marble, iron, zinc, and more) as well as the one thing the Taliban took away from the CIA/US govt - the poppy farming (heroin). In total, Afghanistan represents a smorgasbord of natural resources that US corporations are eager to get their hands on.

(I really just wanted to use smorgasbord.)
edit on 2-10-2015 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join