It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-130 crash in Afghanistan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Xtrozero

I hated that damn Super E. It was almost as bad as the -135 with the digital fuel system.
you and me both.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I don't doubt you, before I edited it back out, I was just pointing out that at times they mix things up sometimes.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I don't doubt you, before I edited it back out, I was just pointing out that at times they mix things up sometimes.

They do that

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

When the Navy had the LCs they were actually worse.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

When the Navy had the LCs they were actually worse.

When I went to Iraq I made sure I was on H3s...needed that air....

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

We had an LC that spent a decade or so frozen come through. Talk about a hot mess. Took about two weeks to finally get it back out.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

We had an LC that spent a decade or so frozen come through. Talk about a hot mess. Took about two weeks to finally get it back out.

I have been to Antarctica about 15 times on C-141s. We would just land on the ice with normal tires.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

They take C-17s down occasionally. I've even seen 757s and DC-10s there.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

They take C-17s down occasionally. I've even seen 757s and DC-10s there.

There is actually more traction on the ice down there than a normal wet runway.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Years ago Air New Zealand flew sightseeing flights down that way. Up until they decided to try to go through a mountain.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It's been confirmed it was a USAF aircraft, but now they're saying they were taking off. That opens the door wider for mechanical failure, but the Herc usually does fairly well with problems on takeoff, especially the J model.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Wasn't it some E models that had wing box cracks?

I only flew the E and J.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
A witness said they heard an odd sound just before a huge explosion and fire.

Four of the crew were from the 317th out of Dyess AFB in Texas, the other two were from Hanscom AFB Massachusetts. The death toll is up to 13.
edit on 10/2/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: jerico65

Yes, the E suffered cracks more than the others.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It was two pilots, and two loadmasters from the 317th Airlift Group out of Dyess, and two members of the 66th Security Forces Squadron from Hanscom.

This marks the sixth J model hull loss worldwide for the J model since 2007. This is the second for the US.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Four of five contractors were American. Three Afghan security personnel were killed on the ground. Preliminary focus is on an engine fire, or possibly the aircraft clipping a security barrier on takeoff.

A source notified the media that they appeared to suffer engine failure on takeoff, and a witness saw a fire start after they were airborne. Investigators are trying to determine which happened first, the engine failure, or impact with the barrier.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: jerico65
Wasn't it some E models that had wing box cracks?

I only flew the E and J.

That was the C-141...

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Four of five contractors were American. Three Afghan security personnel were killed on the ground. Preliminary focus is on an engine fire, or possibly the aircraft clipping a security barrier on takeoff.

A source notified the media that they appeared to suffer engine failure on takeoff, and a witness saw a fire start after they were airborne. Investigators are trying to determine which happened first, the engine failure, or impact with the barrier.

An engine failure on TO is not a big deal normally. Js have a large amount of power and most things are automatic. I think they were shot down, but that is speculation.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
An engine failure on TO is not a big deal normally. Js have a large amount of power and most things are automatic. I think they were shot down, but that is speculation.

I agree about the loss of an engine on take off, unless there were other factors (high, hot, humid, heavy, etc)

And it was years ago, but I remember E's having cracks in the wing box that grounded a bunch of them, like most of the Pope fleet.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Ok so the taliban is saying they shot them down, but our military is saying they didnt. . . .

Someones lying I dont know who but someone is. . . . .

The Taliban issued a statement on Friday morning, saying they shot down the US Air Force C-130J transport plane.

"Our mujahideen have shot down a four-engine US aircraft in Jalalabad," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said.

US Air Force Maj. Tony Wickman said on Friday, “It is with high confidence that we can say it does not appear that enemy fire was involved.”

The US military has released few other details about the aircraft crash. Wickman said the military has launched an investigation into the cause of the accident.
www.presstv.ir...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join