It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time To Make Gun Training Part Of High School Curriculum Mandatory?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I hate guns, I really do, I wish they were never invented, but do you know what I hate worse, PEOPLE that think the only way to solve their manic depressive behavior is to go on killing sprees where unsuspecting victims have absolutely no way to defend themselves.

F********* COWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sick of this world we live in. I am disgusted at the morally corrupt behavior of humans.

But this rant is for one reason and one reason only......GUNS KILL WHEN PEOPLE PULL THE TRIGGER!

So I have decided I no longer want people to not have them, in fact I want every high school in the USA to make it mandatory for every student to have proper gun training starting at the age of 14.

When they get certified, give them open/carry permits so that when some idiot decides to unleash their fury, someone will have the opportunity to end it.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I agree.

Riddle me this. Why is it ok for banks to guard their assets with armed security, yet we want the place where we have our most cherished treasures, our children, to be a gun free zone? People would laugh at a bank being a gun free zone, yet some how we are supposed to believe everywhere else should be gun free.

These nut jobs go where they know the victims won't be able to fight back.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

That is a very bad idea. 14year olds in school with guns? What could go wrong?

In 2003, I was at work. I was still very involved with the community college I went to though, auditing classes and sometimes working minimum wage one-time event jobs just to help out and be with m friends who were still very involved in the school. I was asked to help out at the bookstore for a few hours as it was the first week of classes and they were short line control and backroom employes and such.

I couldn't get the time off from work. Here is the bare-bones article ECC Bookstore shooting It is missing details, but one shot went off in the bookstore, where about 6 of my close friends were working and 1 shot went into the ceiling, into the Student Government offices above, where a few more of my friends were.

No one was injured, thank God. But, I am VERY certain that none of these students, if they had guns, would have been of any help in such a crowded space. Riciochet and simply missing the target would have caused a bloodbath.

That would be the same in any high school, trained or not. It is an idea that only looks good on paper or typed here.

edit on 1-10-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Have to admit, i'd seriously think twice about this....kids these day have daily spats over things like Facebook which leads to bullying and worse. Hormones and emotions are all over the shop as a teenager....now add to that everyone at school having a gun.

No thanks.

CX.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I agree with training. All children should be trained to correctly and safely handle firearms.

Teens unfortunately are too stupid (in general) to arm. Sure, many are mature enough but a good % are still to foolish at that age.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
play ground scuffles would take on a whole new meaning.

bad idea.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I predict many many dead kids.

Good thing you have no authority.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Mandatory military service is the only way I think you can make this happen. Otherwise any training accidents will cost millions in legal fees.

I assume you would pay all students a stipend to act as security as well...?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I don't want preachers teaching evolution.
I don't want teachers preaching.
And I don't want schools teaching kids to use guns.

CX

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I went to a parents evening a while back at my youngests secondary school here in the UK. One of the teachers was explaining about how to help our teenagers with homework and issues at school. She said that apparently the part of a teenagers brain that deals with rational thought and response, this has not fully developed yet.

So when your teenager goes ballistic and totaly overreacts just because you've asked them one simple thing.....it's not entirely thier fault.

If that is the case, would you really want all the teenagers in the school armed?

How much training do you actually get when you get "trained" over there anyway?

I know in the UK military where i did my training, weapons training was probably the strictest thing i've ever done. If you did anything dangerous or inapropriate with a firearm, you had the living daylights kicked out of you.

The level of respect and safety we had drummed into us was probably like you have over there with your forces, it was stupidly strict.

Now that kind of training would instil some discipline in people......but not teenagers. Not saying teenagers can't be good with firearms, some are more responsible than adults. What i'm talking about is 3000 teenagers together, all armed.

Accident waiting to happen.

CX.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

This is not meant to be taken as a dig at you without substance, but it's apparent that you don't seem to understand the responsibility and maturity that comes along with carrying a weapon every day.

While proper training is vital for anyone who owns and carries firearms, what training does not do is mature an individual beyond their years and suddenly make them responsible. Yes, there are 10-year-olds with the maturity to own and operate their own firearms. On the flip side, there are 40-year-olds too irresponsible to keep them in the house with their children.

You're doing what most people ignorant to the responsibilities of gun ownership and carrying generally do with in times of mass shootings--you are knee-jerk reacting out of emotion, and emotion should be jettisoned when it comes to firearms, otherwise the bad emotions cause bad things to happen.

Take a step back, breathe, and realize that firearms ownership and carry is not meant for everyone. Personally, I'd be more than happy to volunteer at local schools to be a presence who is well-trained in use of firearms and better-trained than most in hand-to-hand combat, but sadly, laws still forbid such a thing.

If you want somebody armed and able to protect our children in schools, let willing educators and administrators handle that, but by all means, no 14-year-old should be carrying firearms around in a school. Train them, absolutely, but don't hand them weapons and pretend that doing so will make things better, as they just don't have the maturity to handle the burden.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

College freshman are between the ages of 18 and 21. Binge drinking, hormones and pistols don't mix, period. I've often had to ask someone the next morning what I had said and done after a heavy night of drinking when I was younger. If anyone ever responded with, "I helped you hide a dead body", I'm not sure what I would do.

smartgunlaws.org...

Proper safety, handling and accuracy is one thing, but to load an entire classroom full of lead doesn't necessarily mean we are safer, but that we are more afraid to try anything. In an environment where everyone is armed, we will all want to play the hero and fire will be met with fire. Missing your target could have devastating consequences.

edit on 1-10-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

That's right and it involves some ugly realizations to come to that conclusion.

Though, I wouldn't want this to be mandatory nor publicly administered.

Concealed carry without permit is the solution.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-Robert A. Heinlein
edit on 1-10-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

i wish guns were not reality, yet they are, if it were up to me it would be bows n blades, at least then it would take a certain skill level and mind state and physical ability to kill and the tools wood be harder to conceal, but then again i think of 2 ways to conceal a bow n arrow off the top of my head at least 20 ways to conceal a blade. point is we will always have tools to kill and we will always be able to conceal them. guns just make concealing easier and take less base requirements to use in a killing fashion(i.e. a one armed man with no legs can use a gun, but cant use a bow in an easy fashion and is only a threat with a blade if one comes in his range).

go to :45sec im sorry this came to mind

that being said, guns being reality we should all know how to use them, my grandpa taught me at age six, i will teach my children when they are a bit older and as my grandpa taught me for my own safety, i will teach them for there own safety.

safety being defined- if they are around a gun they need to know the potential destruction capabilities and how to avoid said capabilities, and in best case scenario know how to use a real tool in this reality(hunting for example, ect...).

that being said I WOULD NEVER TRUST A ANOTHER PERSON TO TEACH MY CHILD HOW TO PROPERLY USE A FIREARM.

That is just lazy parenting and potentially detrimental to ones ones health.

I know your thread is knee jerk rant due to recent news, but think before you post.

edit on 1-10-2015 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

What backs that up btw?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Experience, you may come across it someday.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
yea, the way to solve gun issues is by admitting more guns in the mids of the most impressionable years of young adolescent who see nothing but violence in movies, music, and in the news and tell them how having guns can give them superiority or safety. as if this idea will not propagate to using the guns to solve for any arguments and confrontation with authority or friends and family.

there are countries with twice the amount or the same amount of citizens as the US, but have gun laws that werent engraved in their constitution, tell me their mass shootings rate vs ours?, or police maniacs who pulls guns and shoots up people in the wrong house or murder 7 year olds or give headshots for an expired license or jump on the hood of a car and unload several clips at point blank range to 'suspects' not convicted of anything.

there are high crime rates in some European countries, yet, Gun related or people killed by police totals in decades are lower than what we have in just a few months....

weird... but yea more guns will solve this issue right....

edit on 1-10-2015 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I have plenty, seems the United states with the most guns is hardly a polite society.

That quote gets thrown around all the time, just asking what backs it up.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I know when I'm carrying, I am a lot more calm than I am otherwise. When I am carrying, I don't get road rage, I don't get mad at people in the store who cut me off or bump into me. It really does serve to remind me that what just happened wasn't that serious. It may not make sense, you pretty much have to carry to see the ways it can help you.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

I do the same without carrying, it just came with some age.
Glad that works for you though.

Not asking for the anecdotal of it, just asking where that quote comes from.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join