It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASS SHOOTING reported at Oregon college campus 15 dead atleast MANY MORE INJURED

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reposting this. This point doesn't warrant a response? Take a break from your bickerfest.

I'd like to make a distinguished & profound point. Although they don't really belong in such UBER threads, where anything is easily missed. But here it goes.

I've suspected after talking it through with some people why these incidents get so much cover, & why people find that the original story is more often than not "fiddled" with. Such as fabricating more people or more tear-jerking stories for those people who perished in the violent act. Also I personally believe they twist the story even more, with this whole "religion" thing. I'm sure they'll turn it into more excuse to fight in middle east. But the single most important epiphany for me was that this IS NOT ABOUT GUN CONTROL, but THE OPPOSITE!

What the hell? -- you might say. But is it not possible that this is exactly what gun companies would want to sell more guns? The NRA is the strongest possibly oldest lobby in the US. There's no chance for that to ever subside. No chance at all. In fact it might arm more body guards & give more reason for gun sales to move around everywhere. They make people feel safe. Isn't it security our nations leaders are after, in exchange for our freedoms? Think about that will somebody please? I'm sure there are more holes to dive in to.

I have not looked at the market numbers when incidents such as this happen, or even worldwide news such as Fast & Furious, or when it was released that the US bought lots & lots of guns & such. But I submit to you that the market probably increased. If this becomes a focus of conversation I sure will look it up, but as it is now I believe this reasoning will be missed & might call for another thread.

Good day.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Like sands through the hourglass...

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi

On top of that, an 89% increase on practically nothing is still practically nothing, whereas you morons have major shootings like this every few weeks.

I swear that this is calling Americans morons.
A blanket statement calling Americans in general morons.

Cool.
Nice to have met you.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

Good to hear...Now that we know you are a sober, responsible, gun owner...What makes you believe every other Gun owner is the same? And how many innocent lives are you willing to gamble on that assumption by combating rational regulation?

This shooter has a profile that would not be unfamiliar to ATS..in fact, I suspect if the Mods did some digging they would find him a member. It would not be the first time.

Profile here on a dating site: Ironcross45......
Political Views: conservative, republican
Do you drink? no, teetotaler

....Hmm...Sound familiar?
spiritualpassions.com...

* I don't attribute his political leanings to sociopathic murderous disposition...Almost half the country is republican...but I do cite it as an example that folks that have conservative ideology, NRA supporters, identify as Republicans, don't drink etc. like yourself...are not by some ideological default or indoctrination, responsible and safe gun owners. Sometimes they are mass murderers..So what is your beef with trying to prevent them from buying a tonnage of guns and ammunition to kill innocent folks with?
edit on 2-10-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Oct 2 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Why did news of this tragedy unfold so slowly yesterday? I first heard of it at 4pm CDT and CNN was still estimating what had happened and the number of lives lost. Most of these mass shooting incidents generate fairly hard numbers and details within a few hours.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So, back to the topic...

We could debate the gun issue until the cows come home, but it will be just that...a debate. There will be no clear winner. There are some credible arguments on both sides (and many more not so credible ones). Hashing it out here won't fix anything. For my part, my opinion, a gun is just a tool, it doesn't have any intent (but again that's just my opinion). Regardless, I think there is something else here which is being missed. Not to diminish or distract the gun rights discussion, but it's something relevant to the recent tragic incident.

In virtually every single one of the recent school shootings and other mass shooting the perpetraitor has been a disenfranchised youth, a loner with few friends and in nearly every case a person with a lot of on-line activity of one form or another. This type of personality seems to be becoming more and more frequent. Equally, with social media as prevalent as it is, kids now days seem to withdraw from interpersonal interaction, preferring instead the faceless, narccisistic life of being on-line. It seems to me this is a self fulfilling prophecy. Being on-line so much breeds an anti-social personality which only leads to being on-line even more (and more removed from society).

The internet will corrupt your mind if one lets it. There are endless 'rabbit holes' of hate, violence, deviance and anti-social mindsets. If one dwells more and more on these pockets of hatred and discontent on the internet they will become the same way themselves eventually.

It seems to me society as a whole should be looking at this angle (in addition to all the usual suspects). Further, parenting also seems to be an issue. Anymore, many children are really more just a status symbol than they are a critical part of the family unit. Working families go through the motions, but at the end of the day the kid is adrift without close guidance.

Perhaps we ought be looking at these issues as well when we look for causation in these tragedies.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Does anyone here really, really think that stronger 'gun registration' laws would have prevented this? What is happening is so simple that the sheep are just allowing it to happen.

1. Saying a person who is taking SSRI's should not have a gun is ok, but how about their jobs? So, a person is 'crazy' enough to possibly use a gun, that sits in a safe place in a home but they can teach your kids, run your local business....DRIVE cars! It is a way for the government to 'blanket' and have precedence for what they do.

2. There are close to 300 million privately owned firearms in the US. I think we have a better chance of Trump sending back Syrians if elected than collecting and tracking ALL guns. Realize also, these are privately owned and registered. Not stolen or black market.

3. It is about control and making the citizen weaker. Name ONE country that had guns banned where it worked out ok for the masses. I mean 'banned' not controlled. Laws are there for a reason.

4. This guy is the norm folks. There are 1000's of 1000's like him out there. They all do not need guns. They are self absorbed, narcissistic and without empathy.

The argument should not be right now about mental health, or gun control. It should be about arming the schools in our country as a 'deterrent'. There are 1000's of retired servicemen and women who could fill the roll. For the price

We spent over 8 billion dollars in aid in 2012 ti Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. For that money, we could put 2 officers making 40k a year in each of the 100k schools in the US.

First, protect our children and communities. Second, lobby locally for better mental awareness and last, go buy another gun and some ammo and ride this one out....

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The gun issue in the US ( yes, there is an issue ), is non fixable as it is now, 300 Mill+ guns and counting is a major problem when a part of the citizens can't handle it.

You can't remove that amount of guns in a short time, even if you banned guns all together, they will exist and still create mass shootings for many many years, it's unavoidable and will happen again somewhere in the future.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Why did news of this tragedy unfold so slowly yesterday? I first heard of it at 4pm CDT and CNN was still estimating what had happened and the number of lives lost. Most of these mass shooting incidents generate fairly hard numbers and details within a few hours.

Local law enforcement were extremely apprehensive about giving out any details about the shooting, to prevent the shooter from getting any of the credit or recognition he obviously desired.

That's the impression I got anyway... from watching CNN for 24 hours straight, after the shooting took place.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

You are correct. The local media and especially the sheriff stated he would not say his name and asked outlets to not release pictures of the shooter. It is what the shooter and those who talked him into it wanted. The five, not even fifteen, minutes of fame.

Let's talk about Chris Mintz, a US Army veteran who charged the shooter and was shot 7 times...and it alive.

www.thedailybeast.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
So, back to the topic...

We could debate the gun issue until the cows come home, but it will be just that...a debate. There will be no clear winner. There are some credible arguments on both sides (and many more not so credible ones). Hashing it out here won't fix anything. For my part, my opinion, a gun is just a tool, it doesn't have any intent (but again that's just my opinion). Regardless, I think there is something else here which is being missed. Not to diminish or distract the gun rights discussion, but it's something relevant to the recent tragic incident.

In virtually every single one of the recent school shootings and other mass shooting the perpetraitor has been a disenfranchised youth, a loner with few friends and in nearly every case a person with a lot of on-line activity of one form or another. This type of personality seems to be becoming more and more frequent. Equally, with social media as prevalent as it is, kids now days seem to withdraw from interpersonal interaction, preferring instead the faceless, narccisistic life of being on-line. It seems to me this is a self fulfilling prophecy. Being on-line so much breeds an anti-social personality which only leads to being on-line even more (and more removed from society).

The internet will corrupt your mind if one lets it. There are endless 'rabbit holes' of hate, violence, deviance and anti-social mindsets. If one dwells more and more on these pockets of hatred and discontent on the internet they will become the same way themselves eventually.

It seems to me society as a whole should be looking at this angle (in addition to all the usual suspects). Further, parenting also seems to be an issue. Anymore, many children are really more just a status symbol than they are a critical part of the family unit. Working families go through the motions, but at the end of the day the kid is adrift without close guidance.

Perhaps we ought be looking at these issues as well when we look for causation in these tragedies.

I wish I could give this post 100 stars,because I think you nailed it Flyingclaydisk.

When I was in high school in the 80s,we never heard of school shootings.Mass shootings happened,but not as often.

Kids now days don't have real social skills to walk up to each other and make friends like back before social media and internet. Now its done through a screen.

Maybe its the isolation that's making kids snap.
edit on 2-10-2015 by crazyeddie68 because: Typo

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
So, the guy was targeting Christians and the utter silence from the usual suspects is deafening. I've been saying for the last few years that the main stream media has made hatred of this group main stream. It was only a matter of time. Imagine the guy was targeting Muslims? It would be every headline and focus of this story. Instead, crickets.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I don't know if this story has been posted yet, but it's worth noting...especially in light of all of the ignorant and vicious anti-American comments I've read in this thread.

Oregon Shooting: 'Heroic' Veteran Chris Mintz Was Shot 7 Times

An Army veteran was shot seven times while trying to save other students during the deadly Oregon community college rampage, according to his aunt.

Chris Mintz "tried to protect some people," his aunt Sheila Brown told NBC News in a telephone interview. "We were told he did heroic things to protect some people."

She said that Mintz was shot seven times and had been in surgery since the shooting that left 10 dead, including the gunman.

Originally from Randleman, North Carolina, Mintz served about 10 years in the Army. He had just started college, Brown said. He was shot in the back, abdomen and hands, and had two broken legs, she added.

"We're not sure how his legs got broken," she said. "He was on the wrestling team and and he's done cage-fighting so it does not surprise me that he would act heroically."

"It was a great, great shock ... We've all been sitting on pins and needles and praying very hard," Brown said, adding Mintz was "an extremely good guy."

On Friday morning, a Facebook page that appeared to belong to Mintz posted the following message:

"This is Chris's friend, Chris asked me to thank everyone for their support, he is grateful and keeping our community and all victims in his thoughts."

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
i don't get it. if there was a man shooting people next to you... would you just stand there and await your fate?

the same as the ISIS executions...
if i was going to die i would go down in a hell of a fight, i guarantee that!

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The school may well be a gun free zone, but it's certainly not a Phone Free Zone.

And that's what I don't understand about these events. These days, EVERYone I know is inches away from their phone at all times whether it's on or not. And frequently, people will definitely have their phones on during class, rules or no rules.

So, how is it we're not seeing video of these events from all sorts of angles and areas when they occur? I don't know anyone who wouldn't immediately pull out their vid recorders if the least little thing happens. I see it everywhere I go.

They can't ALL be confiscated immediately and frankly, that kind of confiscation feels wrong to me. The fact that we never get live inside video of these events feels wrong to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join