It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Majority Leader Admits Benghazi Committee Part of Political Attack Strategy?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Whether you believe it was an accidental confession or extremely poor phrasing, there's no doubt that a comment made Tuesday night by Kevin McCarthy to Fox New's Sean Hannity is a gaffe of epic proportions.

NPR - Did Kevin McCarthy Commit The 'Classic Washington Gaffe'?

Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., is running to be the next speaker of the House, and most observers think he has it locked up. But Tuesday night he said something on Fox News that is causing Democrats to celebrate and conservatives to experience heartburn.

In an interview with Sean Hannity, McCarthy pointed to the House Committee on Benghazi as a success under the GOP-controlled house.

"Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right? But we put together a Benghazi special committee. A select committee," McCarthy told Hannity after being pressed about what House Republicans had accomplished under his and John Boehner's leadership. "What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she's untrustable. But no one would have known that any of that had happened had we not fought to make that happen."

The Select Committee on Benghazi was established in May of last year by H.Res.567, which was passed along party lines, with 225 Republicans and 7 Democrats voting 'yea' and 186 Democrats voting 'nay.'

The committee's investigation is the tenth undertaken in the three years since the 2012 attack, following two Senate committee investigations, five House committee investigations, an FBI investigation and a compulsory investigation performed by the 80% Clinton-appointed State Department Accountability Review Board.

My personal opinion, having reviewed many of the reports as they've been presented, is that the Benghazi 'scandal' has been largely manufactured for political purposes. That said, I haven't been opposed to reasonable investigations being conducted but at what point does this end? This has become a tax payer funded perpetual political war waged by the GOP and for all the millions of dollars — over $4.5 million for the House Select Committee (so far) alone — and countless hours of testimony, what has actually been accomplished beyond the scapegoating of a few people and the generating invaluable political ammunition for the GOP?

Nothing.

So when I read the smug, self-satisfied bragging of Kevin McCarthy, I can only shake my head in disbelief; disbelief at the gall and lack of self-awareness displayed by this moron. Poorly phrased or not, his comments do clearly point to what McCarthy and other Republicans see as a worthwhile accomplishment; not that these expenditures of time and money have uncovered anything actionable, not that the investigations have improved security at US embassies and consular facilities but rather, a drop in Hillary Clinton's polling numbers?
edit on 2015-10-1 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I listened to that interview. I didn't get that interpretation you spun at all.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Same, but remember he is on Team Hillary.

LOL

She is dirty, everyone knows she is dirty, no amount of BS spin will convince anyone but political zombies and idiots that she is a bright and shining example of what is right in the US.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
So Clinton is just basically just a poor little old victim.

Is that it ?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

So....???

I'm just saying, they did their jobs, and exposed hitlery for who she is.

A completely devoid of any human decency or morals type.

Your problem is it was politically motivated...... Isn't all political action?

I don't get it...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I see, so because we have a difference of opinion, my interpretation of his comments are "spin?" Duly noted.

Consider the context of the comments. In response to a question that he basically asked himself:

"The question I think you really want to ask me is, 'how am I gonna be different?'"

Here's the line that preceded what is quoted above:

"What you're gonna see is a conservative speaker, that takes a conservative congress, that puts a strategy to fight and win. Let me give you an example."

What strategy do you believe he was referring to and what fight is he looking to win?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What a lovely gift. And it isn't even Hillary's birthday.

And just watch, if the Dems spin this right, they can get the hearings cancelled.

But, even if they go ahead, the teeth are now removed. And it will be easy to dismiss it all as just politics.

And Kevin McCarthy's chance of being speaker dropped a bit.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Same, but remember he is on Team Hillary.

Well that's completely false and frankly, it's a pathetic attempt at dismissing my opinion.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

The last sentence in your highlighted quote in your OP shows to me that when being criticized about just what the GOP House accomplished, he merely showed that had they not pursued her involvement in the Benghazi fiasco, the exposure would never have been made showing her to be what we now all know she is....a liar and a deceiver. It did not sound to me like it was a manufactured strategy.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

But, even if they go ahead, the teeth are now removed. And it will be easy to dismiss it all as just politics.

All of the Hillary-philes already dismissed it as politics.... a witch hunt.... wasted money.

She is still an obvious liar and plans to continue milking anyone... foreign or domestic for all the money she can, especially if she is elected as POTUS.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

So....???

I'm just saying, they did their jobs, and exposed hitlery for who she is.

A completely devoid of any human decency or morals type.

Your problem is it was politically motivated...... Isn't all political action?

I don't get it...

so congressional hearings are only about political one-upmanship?.....you might want to tell that to the families of the men that were killed and who had requested a hearing....there have been 8 hearings on this so far, 5 million dollars spent, the Benghazi hearings have taken more time than Watergate, 9/11, Iran-contra, etc...Benghazi hearings are now the longest running in the history of congress.....

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Is that it ?

Because that's what I said? No, I didn't say that at all. I said that the attack was investigated 9 times before, 7 times by Congress and NOTHING HAS COME FROM IT.

At what point is it investigated enough, when they confirm what you've believed from before the first investigation was even conducted? That's "justice" to you? Confirming your politically inspired beliefs? That's objective reasoning.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The Democratic talking points are being regurgitated en mass today eh? This topic has been posted like four times in the last hour.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: neo96

Is that it ?

Because that's what I said? No, I didn't say that at all. I said that the attack was investigated 9 times before, 7 times by Congress and NOTHING HAS COME FROM IT.

At what point is it investigated enough, when they confirm what you've believed from before the first investigation was even conducted? That's "justice" to you? Confirming your politically inspired beliefs? That's objective reasoning.

When the deceitful web has been woven so tightly and intricately...when data has been destroyed...when you mix private with public....when transparency is a dirty word....and when obfuscation has been taken to heretofore unknown levels of deceit...when the media moguls are shoring you up and ignoring facts....then thank goodness we have investigators that take the time necessary to unravel the truth.

There have been murder cases that were solved 20 years after the fact because of a dedicated investigator that sought justice for the death of one human being. She's dirty, they know it, and are determined to find justice.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

ATTNETION!

The US Political Madness forum is NOT for political party bashing, flaming, etc.

If you desired to participate in threads of that nature, please make sure that threads like that are created in the Political Mud Pit forum.

That's what it is for.

Staff's policy is to no longer move threads that belong there from here or other forums. Instead, they are now simply removed. That was a case with a thread yesterday on this very subject.

If the OP of a thread is not that bad, we will leave it. However, please be warned:

If other members participating in the thread start to post as they would in the Mud Pit, the thread will be moderated quite strictly, with post removals.

Keep the Left/Right bashing out of the threads here. Save that for the Mud Pit.

Anymore of that in this thread after this post, will be removed.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Were you wearing special headphones?

"What you are going to see is a Conservative Speaker, that takes a Conservative Congress, that puts a strategy to fight and win.

And let me give you one example

Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right?" McCarthy said on Fox News.

"But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she's untrustable. But no one would have known any of that had happened had we not fought."

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I believe it was just poor phrasing on his part and then the dems snapped it up and used the semantics approach to make it sound like he said something he didn't mean.

Sure they are investigating....they should. Hillary is about as bad as they come. Now they have her email server. I would love to know how she wiped it and what they find.

It just wreaks of guilt that it was not turned over in the first place after it was found she used it for work then wiped it....if you have nothing to hide then why try to hide it?

Either way...hope she rots. She may be the very worst out of all the candidates R or D. If the country is handed to her I fear for our future.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
The Democratic talking points are being regurgitated en mass today eh?.

Democratic Talking Points??

Maybe you should talk to the GOP trying to un-paint themselves from the corner?

GOPers scramble to denounce Benghazi comments
www.msnbc.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

So it was necessary to conduct 10 investigations, spend millions and millions of dollars and politicize the Benghazi attack to "expose" the fact that Hillary Clinton lies?

Any idiot with Google and 10 minutes of free time can prove that Hillary Clinton lies. She's a politician and as establishment as it gets, who didn't know this about her already?

It seems to me, that just like McCarthy, you care more about the impact on Hillary Clinton than concrete results. Would it be safe to say that there is no limit to the number of investigations conducted as long as there's a Clinton campaign to "fight" and "win" against?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I believe it was just poor phrasing on his part and then the dems snapped it up and used the semantics approach to make it sound like he said something he didn't mean.

Unlike some spinners in the media and ...ahem..elsewhere...I am fan of full quotes. I provided his quotation above...It appears difficult to read it any other way then him taking credit for orchestrating a political attack on Hillary Clinton in the guise of a multi-million dollar, tax-payer funded, pretend investigation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join