It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama to stop issuing driver’s licenses in counties with 75% black registered voters

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
dp
edit on 10/1/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

tp

edit on 10/1/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Excuse me, but you are going to have to do better than that. Did you read the chart? Do you need me to post it for you? And interpret it for you? Can you please link where Montgomery County, Alabama, has closed it Driver's license offices because it has too many black people?
Please show me that.

Seriously. Don't be the guy who can never admit when he is wrong. It's very unbecoming and actually rather pathetic.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: amicktd
a reply to: olaru12

Are you sure the real reason wasn't because of this:

"The Driver License Division is severely understaffed and has 103 vacant positions as a result of past budget cuts and attrition," read a statement on the ALEA's website. The agency's statement said that the locations that are closing accounted for less than 5 percent of all the transactions it typically performs.

Huffington Post

It very well could be....

But in politics, it's perception that matters and this will be perceived as an attempt at a racist exclusion of voters.

This could have been handled very differently.

That must be why you are spinning the story so hard, to influence perception the way you want it to be, damn the facts.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That must be why you are spinning the story so hard, to influence perception the way you want it to be, damn the facts.

The ACLU is taking this seriously - if only because Alabama has some history

No spin necessary

Alabama Is About To Make It Much Harder To Get A Voter ID

Alabama implemented its voter ID law shortly after the Supreme Court struck down Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act, which required the state get preapproval from the Justice Department every time it changed its voting laws because of its long historyof racially-based and often violent voter suppression. The ACLU and other voting rights groups argue the law disproportionately burdens the elderly, people of color, students, and the poor — who may have difficulty finding transportation to an office during the narrow hours they are open, and who may lack a birth certificate or other document needed to get the free identification card.

The state itself estimated that 250,000 eligible voters lacked the proper ID, but gave out only about 1,000 as of last April.

edit on 10/4/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Alabama sends message: We are too broke to care about right and wrong

Alabama might as well just send an invitation to the Justice Department. Come on in guys. Come on down.

No need to reply with an RSVP. Because we know you'll be here. How could you resist?

Because Alabama just took a giant step backward.

I know we all get a little hot under the collar sometimes - but it's not for nuthin'

We should always feel free criticize ourselves - our country, our home states - our towns...

Just the same as this gentleman

edit on 10/5/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

If I didn't know better, this looks like the result of unintended consequences from enacting a poorly thought out policy. I'm not entirely sure that Alabama was trying to be racist here, but because of them not thinking their policies through all the way before enacting them, it REALLY appears that way.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
It's hard to know for sure, but I think it's fair to wonder - and question. If you look at the information as its presented in this article - it doesn't look good

www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 10/5/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Well that's the thing, anything can be spun to look like anything. To me, there are just too many glaring holes in the story for it to be a simple case of racism. I think it's just straight up incompetence.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's a sad day when incompetence at that level is the happier answer

:-)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

This may have something to do with it:
Report: Alabama's schools third-worst in U.S.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Strange decision.. Anyways one can go to another state to pass a driver's test, happily there are lots of schools for drivers. I passed mine at California ( at www.education4drivers.com ), though I usually live in Washington..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join