It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faculty Member Tackles School Shooter in South Dakota; Principal Wounded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

A South Dakota school shooter was foiled by a heroic faculty member Wednesday after he shot the high school's principal.

The 16-year-old student opened fire with a handgun, wounding Principal Kevin Lein in the arm following an argument.

Despite the wound, Lein got on the intercom to let the students and teachers know what had happened, assuring them he would be OK.

Meantime, a heroic assistant principal, Ryan Rollinger, had just tackled the student, holding him down along with a teacher until police arrived.

This is all still breaking, so I'm assuming it is subject to change. If it's right, I am so glad the Asst. Principal did what he did. This is how everyone should handle these situations.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

Wow- nice quick response and thinking by the administrators. Great to hear this troubled teen was stopped before anyone was more seriously injured.

By the sound of it, it doesn't seem like the teen planned on a mass shooting but we'll see what other details come out. I'm guessing this was just a dumb kid with anger issues and very little common sense

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Educators in these school shootings continue to put their lives in danger to protect further carnage. It clearly shows their dedication to protecting their students and school personnel. Kudos for the assistant principal.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca

A South Dakota school shooter was foiled by a heroic faculty member Wednesday after he shot the high school's principal.

The 16-year-old student opened fire with a handgun, wounding Principal Kevin Lein in the arm following an argument.

Despite the wound, Lein got on the intercom to let the students and teachers know what had happened, assuring them he would be OK.

Meantime, a heroic assistant principal, Ryan Rollinger, had just tackled the student, holding him down along with a teacher until police arrived.

This is all still breaking, so I'm assuming it is subject to change. If it's right, I am so glad the Asst. Principal did what he did. This is how everyone should handle these situations.

Good on those guys for taking him down and preventing something much worse.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: ExcallibaccaBy the sound of it, it doesn't seem like the teen planned on a mass shooting but we'll see what other details come out. I'm guessing this was just a dumb kid with anger issues and very little common sense

It definitely doesn't sound like he planned on a mass shooting. That being said, confronting him for the one shooting could have caused him to snap again...he's proven he could do it. Surprising him was the best option and I hope there is an outpouring from the community for the Principal and especially the Asst. Principal.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
How on earth did he get a gun into school?? And where did a 16yr old get the gun from in the first place?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Nicely done Mr. Rollinger.

Maybe I'm too jaded, but now I can only hope that he doesn't get terminated due to some district "non-intervention" policy.
edit on 10/1/15 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

This day and age, it is quite the possibility.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I know.

Unfortunately I've read multiple accounts of people losing their positions, after taking heroic actions, due to such policies.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

How on earth did he get a gun into school?? And where did a 16yr old get the gun from in the first place?

Probably carried it in his backpack or coat. Unless they do searches/patdowns or have mandatory metal detection policies, it's easy for kids to get weapons into school. As far as obtaining the gun, that's easy as pie if you know the right people...or it could have been a gun from his own parents' home...or stolen from someone else's home.

edit on 31227America/ChicagoThu, 01 Oct 2015 19:22:47 -050031pm31273America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: (no reason given)

top topics

join