It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water on Mars... BUT NASA can't go near it...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
So the big news of the week is water on Mars.

This obviously means a lot for space exploration, i.e. manned missions to Mars.

Obviously we all want to know more about the water and want the Rover to drive towards the signs of water at top speed to go check it out... Right?

However, they can't. According to some articles like this one and this one earth's space powers are bound by rules agreed to under the 1967 Outer Space Treaty which "forbids anyone from sending a mission, robot or human, close to a water source in the fear of contaminating it with life from Earth"...

You can read the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies here.

Only, I can't seem to find anything about water on the site? The other articles link to it... Would be something if that clause was suddenly removed?

Either way, it makes complete sense... We don't know what kind of filth and bacteria is crawling over the Rover. Yes, it was seriously sterilized before it was sent into space. But we don't know what kinds of bugs and microbes it picked up on the way. There is space poop floating around our planet left by astronauts to begin with. So yes, we don't want to contaminate Mars' water with astronaut poop...

Interesting enough there are several "special regions" the Mars rover is not allowed to go, specifically to prevent "life from happening" (in very broad terms)...

A new analysis of Mars "Special Regions": findings of the second MEPAG Special Regions Science Analysis Group (SR-SAG2).
A committee of the Mars Exploration Program Analysis Group (MEPAG) has reviewed and updated the description of Special Regions on Mars as places where terrestrial organisms might replicate (per the COSPAR Planetary Protection Policy). This review and update was conducted by an international team (SR-SAG2) drawn from both the biological science and Mars exploration communities, focused on understanding when and where Special Regions could occur. The study applied recently available data about martian environments and about terrestrial organisms, building on a previous analysis of Mars Special Regions (2006) undertaken by a similar team.

Source & More

So, basically "These are the places earth-based life could exist"...

Interesting.
edit on 1/10/2015 by Gemwolf because: Missing word

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Well I figure it like this, one step at a time, don't put a far fetched goal up without having a lot of small goals to it. Always have a plan B on every small goal, plan B is force not choice.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

Which of course is going to make sure everyone dawns the good ole tinfoil hat and ask what is the 'real' reason we can't go see it.

It really is a shame, hope they figure out a way to get a rover over there.
Was reading about drones that can make drones on Mars, or something to do with 3D printing as options.
Forget how far off they said those options were, but they weren't that close.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I am pretty sure they forgot to sterilize a part of or for the rover before it left. I remember reading about it and at the time there was talk of the rover contamination of mars.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   

seems to me that they already knew about the possibility that we could give life back to mars, thats why they are planing mars colonization. if i am wrong in my idea please do tell.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Anyone with enough knowledge that wanna talk about the real issue, instead of the front?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia

your up.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Eh... If bacteria or other smll lifeforms are smart enough to hitch a ride to mars and start replicating there, who are we to say no? Life finds a way... Right?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

So WHEN the USA breaks this treaty, and they will of course...manned missions cannot take place if the pristine waters of Mars cannot be touched by anything from earth, including the astronauts going to Mars in the future, what is the penalty to the USA?

Absolutely nothing i suspect..and if there is a penalty, who will enforce it? Nobody.

Can't have manned missions without access to the water there.

edit on 1-10-2015 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I'm sure that all Californians are jealous by now...

Damn, more dray than dead red planet?!

As for news, great discovery... makes mission to mars more possible...

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

It makes sense if you were trying to hide the existence of extraterrestrial life.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

trust me california has nothing to be jealous about

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

My thoughts exactly. They found organisms in Lake Vostok over 3500 in fact which had been hidden under 2mls of ice so reckon there's no reason why the mars water can't hold bacteria/life either, well no reason that I know of but I'm no expert, but it has been said that the conditions under Lake Vostok are similar to that on Europa
Vostok
edit on 1-10-2015 by PhyllidaDavenport because: missed a bit

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   
It should be water in Greenland because thats where the Mars Rover is.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Water on Mars... BUT NASA can't go near it. dont think so.

The treaty will last about 5 minutes now announced 'finding' the water which they have likely have known about for a long time. Question is why are they announcing it now? May be nothing more than because now is as good a time as any. Perhaps also becuase they want to extend the hdegomey over the entire planet.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: NeoSpace

please tell me these thing with evidence i look forward to it(not sarcastic)

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
So let me get this right... When we discovered the "new world", we slaughtered the Indians, raped the land, and occupied it... yet we can't sample some water that MIGHT exist, on a barren planet, because of some piece of paper over 40 decades old... Forgive me if I don't concede to that line of absolute BS.
edit on 1-10-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOCHOLIDAZE1
a reply to: NeoSpace

please tell me these thing with evidence i look forward to it(not sarcastic)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum
I would like to think the US leadership has learned from that time but it is still contaminating places with bombs and bullets so that seem unlikely.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
If anyone cares to actually read the treaty, you'll see that it does not actually say that.

Here is the one article in the treaty that talking about contamination at all, Article IX:

In the exploration and use of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, States Parties to the Treaty shall be guided by the principle of co-operation and mutual assistance and shall conduct all their activities in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, with due regard to the corresponding interests of all other States Parties to the Treaty. States Parties to the Treaty shall pursue studies of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, and conduct exploration of them so as to avoid their harmful contamination and also adverse changes in the environment of the Earth resulting from the introduction of extraterrestrial matter and, where necessary, shall adopt appropriate measures for this purpose. If a State Party to the Treaty has reason to believe that an activity or experiment planned by it or its nationals in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, would cause potentially harmful interference with activities of other States Parties in the peaceful exploration and use of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, it shall undertake appropriate international consultations before proceeding with any such activity or experiment. A State Party to the Treaty which has reason to believe that an activity or experiment planned by another State Party in outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, would cause potentially harmful interference with activities in the peaceful exploration and use of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, may request consultation concerning the activity or experiment.

No where in there does it say that we can not go near water. It only says:

States Parties to the Treaty shall pursue studies of outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, and conduct exploration of them so as to avoid their harmful contamination and also adverse changes in the environment of the Earth resulting from the introduction of extraterrestrial matter and, where necessary, shall adopt appropriate measures for this purpose.

Lot of wiggle room there. "avoid their harmful contamination"....meaning that someone will have to determine if a contamination is "harmful" or not...not "contamination" Period.

Technically, every single manned/unmanned mission of any nation that has landed on a body other than Earth, is "contaminated" it.
All the landers and probes to the moon, Venus, Mars, Titan and asteroids/comets are extraterrestrial as they all came from here on Earth.

There are plans to go to Europa and Enceladus.....both of which have liquid water under their icy surfaces, and drill down into it, looking for life.....

I think some news media is trying to take the treaty out of context...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join