It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders on prescription drug price gouging

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Metallicus

I can be condescending. When I see people making up arguments based on nothing I do get condescending.

Bernie never argued in that video for anything having to do with taxes. I know this because I watched it and it is a fact that you can't watch a 15 minute video in 8 minutes or less.

Well then has health care gotten cheaper ?

And to pay for the ACA. A tax was created and declared to be 'constitutional'.

My opinion was backed up by a hell of A LOT.

Expect the same thing with Sanders.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So you decided to go off topic and that is reasonable?

This is about prescription drug prices, not the ACA. In fact the things he proposed would mean LESS tax money would be spent.

If you decide to actually address the topic that would be great.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
Bernie just wants government to be the big sleazy prescription drug price gouger. Members of Congress can invest in contracts that will make them so much $$$.

WTF??? Did you even watch the video or are you just pulling stuff out of your butt???

Do yourself a favor and look at the information first before responding out of ignorance. What a shame..

Ah. No, I didn't. I was responding to someone's comment, not the video. I don't listen to the hot air that comes out of the mouths of politicians. I can tell if they are effective if they brought about some real oversight reform in Congress.

But no one has.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

And ?

Regulation INCREASES the cost of goods.

Funny part here is the sheer volume of drugs that get imported from China today.

Sanders is ALL ABOUT MORE regulation just like the ACA.

Do you really want more drugs made in China ?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Well there you have it folks, next time you become ill and need life saving medicines and in the process go into debt and get forced to sell your home and car, think about those poor CEO'S only making millions.

They have a family of their own they need to feed you know.

So don't be so greedy next time you have to fork over thousands for 2 tablets of antibiotics. Think of the CEO's and their poor families.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yeah...err...NO....

Sanders speech advocates doing away with Bushes regulation that stops people from getting meds from Canada and does away with Bushes regulation that stops Medicare from bargaining on drug prices .

Try again, but I suggest watching the video first instead of throwing crap at the wall hoping it sticks.

Oh and FYI

You can thank your GOP brothers for allowing US pharma companies to outsource the production of medication in China. So if you want to put an end to those kind of policies stop voting for the GOP.
edit on 30-9-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It's funny this guy is in the Senate for...ever.....and all the sudden while putting hat into Presidential race wakes up and says"we got a problem" well boo hoo Bernie, where ya been last few decades hiding under a rock? Especially when calling for more regulation.

There is a myriad of existing consumer, monopolistic, anti-collusion and price fixing laws already on the record that could apply to pharma and medical industry.

That politicians, especially long term ones have done nothing shows whose pocket they're in - except when fiddling the public for higher office of course.

edit on 30-9-2015 by Phoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Grimpachi

And ?

Regulation INCREASES the cost of goods.

Exactly.

Bad Regulations Create Inequality, Hurt the Poor, and Reward Unethical Business

Daraprim is a generic, which means that the patent on the drug — a government-granted monopoly meant to encourage innovation — has expired and the relevant chemical structure (it’s called “pyrimethamine”) is in the public domain. Anyone could in principle come to market with a pyrimethamine drug identical to Daraprim.

So what is it that Shkreli bought when he spent $55 million for the right to sell Daraprim? Easy question. He bought Daraprim’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval. But why is that so valuable?

Bringing a copy of Daraprim to market would require filing an Abbreviated New Drug Approval with the FDA. The new formulation would be tested to make sure it’s really the same, and as safe, as the previously approved generic.

The FDA is notoriously slow and the process is expensive. Probably not $55 million expensive, however. Shkreli was willing to pay such a huge sum because he could see that no Daraprim copies were in the regulatory pipeline, meaning that, for a time, he would have a monopoly and could reap monopoly profits by callously demanding exorbitant prices from patients who have no alternative to the drug.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
It's funny this guy is in the Senate for...ever.....and all the sudden while putting hat into Presidential race wakes up and says"we got a problem" well boo hoo Bernie, where ya been last few decades hiding under a rock? Especially when calling for more regulation.

There is a myriad of existing consumer, monopolistic, anti-collusion and price fixing laws already on the record that could apply to pharma and medical industry.

That politicians, especially long term ones have done nothing shows whose pocket they're in - except when fiddling the public for higher office of course.

You should really inform yourself about him. You'd be surprised to find out he has been saying the same things for the past 30 years.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Ah. No, I didn't. I was responding to someone's comment, not the video. I don't listen to the hot air that comes out of the mouths of politicians. I can tell if they are effective if they brought about some real oversight reform in Congress.

But no one has.

I see. So you know all about Sanders and other politicians even though you don't ever listen to what they say. Got it.

I didn't realize you were Clairvoyant.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

It's funny this guy is in the Senate for...ever.....and all the sudden while putting hat into Presidential race wakes up and says"we got a problem"

All of the sudden??? HaHa try again May 31, 2011

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBandit795

Exactly ?

Bad regulations also create this:

www.npr.org...

China's booming pharmaceutical industry has doubled exports to the United States in the past five years, undercutting competitors and making American consumers reliant on the safety of Chinese factories and captive to any disruptions in Sino-U.S. commerce. Read more here: www.mcclatchydc.com...=cpy

Sander has his way we can expect more foreign drug imports that's more akin to playing russian roulette.

China has already cornered the antibiotic market.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

I think it's you who has just woken up. Sanders has been fighting for this stuff for years.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

But no one has.

I see. So you know all about Sanders and other politicians even though you don't ever listen to what they say. Got it.

I didn't realize you were Clairvoyant.

I'm not. I can see clearly that there is not even the basic Congressional spending oversight reform in place. Congress is corrupt. It doesn't take the paranormal to SEE IT.

Recovery.org is living proof. Supposedly when Obama's stimulus recipients typed in invalid zip codes, they didn't even get an error message. Instead we had what looked like a multitude of phantom districts receiving the bulk of the stimulus money. Congress never did account for where it all went.

For example, Vermont had SEVEN districts receive millions. It only has one district. As I recall, $4.5 million created 7 jobs.

There's not even basic spending oversight reform. When Bernie makes it a central theme to his campaign, let me know.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Bernie has been saying we have a problem for a reasonably long amount of time now.

Bernie is for getting money out of politics and overturning citizens united.

Key actions Introduced the Democracy Is for People constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision. Voted for the DISCLOSE Act to shine a light on the exorbitant amounts of dark money in our politics. Promised that any Sanders Administration Supreme Court nominee will commit to overturning the disastrous Citizens United decision.

Getting big money out of politics

edit on 30-9-2015 by Gumerk because: clarification

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

That being the case, why call for further regulation? Where's his lawsuits and public outcry? Based on long existing laws.

What's bills has he sponsored and passed holding pharm/med/insurance feet to the fire?

Or did he as I suspect go along with corporate loving obama care along with the herd.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

When Bernie makes it a central theme to his campaign, let me know.

Why would I let you know???

You've made it clear you don't listen to what they have to say anyway. You seem much happier just believing whatever you want and blocking out any new information so why would I bother.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

When Bernie makes it a central theme to his campaign, let me know.

Why would I let you know???

You've made it clear you don't listen to what they have to say anyway. You seem much happier just believing whatever you want and blocking out any new information so why would I bother.

Ok, then don't.

And yes, I am happier discerning truth from reality rather than believing ideas spouted by completely ineffective & uninspired mouths will become reality.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

That being the case, why call for further regulation?

What further regulation?

Oh you mean DEregulation, yes he is calling for DEregulation in that video. Are you against that?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Drug costs go up because of government regulations, not in spite of them.

If a price cap is put on drugs, they will be produced less or not at all.

Government is the problem, not the solution.

Bernie is pro-government.

Ergo, Bernie's plan will make the problem worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join