It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Lynched For Eating Beef

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

A 50-year-old man in northern India has been killed in a mob lynching allegedly over rumours that his family had been storing and consuming beef at home.
Mohammad Akhlaq was kicked and beaten with stones by a group of men in Dadri in Uttar Pradesh state on Monday night.
Mr Akhlaq's 22-year-old son was also seriously injured in the attack, and has been admitted to a hospital.
Six people have been arrested in connection with the incident. Police are probing who spread the rumour.
Slaughter of cows is a sensitive issue in India as the animal is considered sacred by Hindus, who comprise 80% of the country's 1.2bn people.
Uttar Pradesh is among a number of Indian states who have tightened laws banning cow slaughter and the sale and consumption of beef.
The beef ban has also provoked outrage with many questioning how the government decides what is on their plate.
Mr Akhlaq's family said the family had stored mutton, and not beef in their fridge. The police have taken the meat and sent it for testing, reports said.
"Some locals spread rumours that Akhlaq had cow meat at his home and engaged in cow slaughter. Following the rumours, they attacked his home," senior local official NP Singh told The Indian Express newspaper.
www.dnaindia.com...
www.ibtimes.com...

Roughly 360 million people in India are not Hindus hence don't see cows as holy so why ban the consumption of beef in some Indian states? This is what happens when religion takes control of government. I'm not a fan of organised religion, and against all sort of oppression. We seem to turn a blind eye to some parts of the world when there' are no financial benefits to expose them or cover up their oppression(like Saudi Arabia)
This story didn't get headline status, though I'm sure it would if it was the other way round.
edit on 30-9-2015 by Boeing777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I can't wait to hear what the militant vegans have to say about this..

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What if it's not Religion only?, what if there is a mixture of ignorance and lack of what we would call "civilized" involved ?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Holy cow!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well, I'm not a militant vegan, but as a vegetarian also non militant, of course it's wrong. Most probably would agree there. However, this is likely more religious that ties into cultural aspects and political apparently, and agree that it's not right. But hey since I was called out for challenging cultural ideals different from Western ones, assume someone will come along to say it's alright in practice because it's cultural.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
its not like they were eating dog or cat it was a cow (beef) sure it will be discussed a lot in Indian media you can bet on it

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

So I guess I should scrap those plans to move to India and open a burger joint?????? Thanks

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake
I am a vegan and trust me demanding others cater to you is the worst way to get them to understand your choices.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't trust anyone who won't eat and burger or a steak.

That include vegans, and Hindus.

Getting hung, and stoned over it's just as stupid as what other people do when they go around stoning people for adultery, and cutting heads off because their 'god' says it was ok.

Just for that .

Think I am gonna eat a steak, and defy the gods.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I don't trust anyone who won't eat and burger or a steak.

That include vegans, and Hindus.

Getting hung, and stoned over it's just as stupid as what other people do when they go around stoning people for adultery, and cutting heads off because their 'god' says it was ok.

Just for that .

Think I am gonna eat a steak, and defy the gods.

In the New Testament, Paul suggested that we should be wary of those who don't eat meat (for religious reasons).

But perhaps that was not why you have trust issues with them.

edit on 30/9/2015 by chr0naut because: "Cast your bread upon the waters" (ancient way of making beer).

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Brought to you by brooklynvegan.com. They'd prefer he was a white male, but Indian will do. For now.

edit on 30/9/2015 by IridiumFlareMadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm a vegan for health reasons.

I may have shared this previously however when I was first told by a physician to go vegan I thought she was crazy.. For some it only requires switching to healthier meat choices..

(post by largo removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Another demonstration as to why ALL religions should be outlawed. They cause more death and destruction than anything else in human history.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Great. Now we're getting news from India from two centuries ago.

You do realize this isn't going on in Modern Day India any longer?

Not everyone who lives in that country is a devout Hindu.

In fact, there's quite a few Christians (and atheists) there.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Eating God can be dangerous to your health.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: blacktie
its not like they were eating dog or cat it was a cow (beef) sure it will be discussed a lot in Indian media you can bet on it

Different cultures have different views on animals. India respects cows, in the US it's illegal in some places to eat cats and dogs, and illegal everywhere in the US to sell their meat. People tend to not find intelligent traits in their food, life really sucks when you begin to empathize with the animal you're eating.

new topics

top topics

join