It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 50 People Shot for the Second Weekend in a Row in Chicago

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Some of these people who perpetrate the violence never leave their neighborhoods. They never learn anything different than warzone conditions. My father was a gang member. And I remember clearly, he only ever went to certain places where his gang controlled. Never straying out of his self imposed prison. Because he feared being recognized by a rival and shot.

Just to also add. Chicago is becoming safer every year. Not because they have figured out how to stop the violence. But because they are making it too expensive for the gang members to live in the city. Rent gets raised. Richer people move in. Gang members move out to the suburbs.

I see this in most inner city areas where I have lived and worked. The poor and disenfranchised are locked in a prison of their own making and they, themselves, and no one else, expects no more from them. Even family sometimes gives up on them, because they rather stay in the situation and be a big frog in a small pond, than to leave and become insignificant or less than, in a large and productive pond.

They usually kill off their numbers to the point of unsustainability then the rich entrepreneurs always move in and swoop up properties for pennies. In a very short time, they can't afford to rent a pantry sized apartment in one of the places they used to call home.

They can only continue their antics in the suburbs for so long, before there too, their behavior becomes way too costly, and their numbers dwindle, as the people in the suburbs are not going to be so easily taken over. They will fight back and they will seek legal recompense for their damages.

Unfortunately all neighborhoods go through cycles. We are a very fickle lot, and always looking for the newest, shiniest and brightest toy. So if you stay in one place long enough you will see it grow and fade, grow and fade. I have watched this happen in my area at least 5 times since the early eighties.

Time may change, but mankind does not change very much with time.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I've been saying this for a long time. Label gangs a terrorist organization and hunt them down like dogs.

Go look at old picture of shoot outs from back in the day Bonnie and Clyde being a good example they lit them the F UP!

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: yuppa

I've been saying this for a long time. Label gangs a terrorist organization and hunt them down like dogs.

Go look at old picture of shoot outs from back in the day Bonnie and Clyde being a good example they lit them the F UP!

Society doesn't have the will to do what needs to be done. It is a no win situation. The mayor could order the cops to go in and clean 'em out just like the Israeli's do to the Palestian terrorist. But it won't happen. The cops know who all the thugs/gangbangers are already.

I drive through westside of chicago daily on my commute to work. I see the same folks out on the corners every day dealing / hustling. If I notice it and recognize folks as a commuter just driving through, you know the cops already know all these folks.

On one hand, the people in the neighborhoods know all the thugs and gangbangers. The reality is that they are the family members and kids of many of the non-gangbangers. If the police go in and bust heads cleaning the scum off the corners, you will get the black lives matter minstrels and buffoons coming out of the wood work yelling about police brutality and the clueless grandmother crying on TV saying her baby ain't did nuffin and he was good boy working on being a rapper.

The police can barely solve any of the crimes due to the no snitching code as it is...

An entire generation has been lost.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I agree our society is PC to the point of not wanting to offend the criminals destroying their communities. Many would call me racist for saying we should rid ourselves of gang culture but I also want skin head gangs destroyed

I'm an equal opportunity gang hater

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: StoutBroux

After multiple weekends in a row of increased violence in the city, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging a fresh and more proactive approach to gun control.

The guns aren't the murderers doing the killing. I bet not one of those firearms is controlled by lawful citizens.

Making guns more illegal isn't going to reduce crime. Killers know they have an edge when they are the only ones packing.

Yeah but if guns were illegal then people wouldn't be getting shot with such regularity. A quick fact check shows that there were more people killed by firearms in one of the incidents in the OP than the entire 2011/2 period for the WHOLE of the UK. I for one am glad to be raising my children in a country where firearms are a very rare.

Making them illegal doesn't stop the criminal, though.

Death by firearm is more covered than other cause. Any violent death is awful, but fact checking also reveals that guns kill fewer people compared to cars, whatever.

I don't worry at night whether I might get run over the next day, either. You do understand that governments complain about crime to justify more control over a populace in the form of security and policing.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I have to disagree on this one. While I hate gangbangers with a passion. Some of these kids can be shown the error of their ways. If you just pay attention to them and listen to what they have to say. Why they do what they do. I have personally helped many young people get out of the gang lifestyle.

I am not someone who just talks about it. I grew up in these gang infested hellholes. I got out. Since I got out. I still go into these war zones and actually try to help. Not all gang member deserves a bullet for being young and dumb. But some can not be helped and those are the ones who need to be stood up to.

I call gangbangers cowards to their face. Like I have said on here before. Not to brag, but I have had guns to my head. I have been shot at. I have been stabbed more than once. I have faced these problems. I have helped people. I have stood up to the gangs. I know what gangs control which blocks. I know the names of most of the gang chiefs. I know who all the drug dealers are. I know the problem first hand. But I would never advocated just killing everyone.

And like edumakated said. If I know all this. The police know all this. Its the culture of silence that stop the police finding this information in a way that is admissible and leads to a prosecution. It is bigger than just the gang members themselves. Its the people who associate with them.

Who are family members. Who buy drugs from them. Most of the drug users are from outside the neighborhood. The corrupt sheriffs that help them move weapons and drugs and offer protection. How do you think drugs get in jail? The alderman that do the same. I know of one alderman that is quite famous that i have on good authority helped a certain gang move guns in the eighties. I heard this from people who would know. But it is hearsay and nothing more. Because everyone involved will deny it. The shady lawyers who do the same. The outsiders who enable all this. Are we supposed to kill them all? Even the grandmas who just want to believe their grandson is not bad so they turn a blind eye, and let drugs be stored in their house.

This problem can not be solved by simply murdering every gang member. Fantasizing about doing so makes people part of the problem. Wishing death on people is part of the problem our whole culture faces. The gang problem is just one manifestation of this wider societal problem.
edit on 1-10-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I didn't mean to insinuate a war between gang but more of a change in the culture. You cannot go into these neighborhood and start shooting every gang member you see, thats not realistic

I do however think we need to stop being so sensitive and call it exactly what it is

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Okay, I misunderstood you then. Sorry about that. I completely agree with shining a light on the problem.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

probably the hunt them down like dogs part

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I read a story a few years ago where a young woman that had been born and raised in America, went home to try to live in her father's native village in a country in Africa. Of course it was about her personal learning experience, but one of biggest cultural shocks for her was the accepted expectation that the whole village had, for the wealthier members of their community.

The people who had more, were expected to provide a way for the less fortunate to care for their families, without stripping them of their pride, worth and dignity. She was scolded when she cleaned her own house and tended to her own yard, because was stealing from the poorer members of her community. It was expected that she hired her less fortunate neighbors to work for her, and that she pay them what she could afford. Like what she would spend on a cup of Starbucks coffee or an ice cream cone from Cold Stone Creamery. To just give them the money was an extreme insult.

Now I can't remember the name of the book or even the name of the village or country for that matter, but I never forgot the ideology. Is it possible that we could work out a system where everyone would be able to work, own their own little cottages, maintain their dignity, and provide for their families? It surely would cost far less than all the failed social programs we have had to date. The huge question is who would be the loser in a system like that?

Obviously it would be extremely dangerous to allow such system; or it would seem, commonsense would have brought us closer to a more favorable system before now.

edit on 1-10-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: superluminal11
a reply to: TOYBEAR

I think many CULT-ures and tribes got a little supremacist attitude going on.

Whatever happened to a good ole btchSLAP or getting in the ring and going 5 rounds?

You should have gotten more stars for that post. What ever happened to a good ole' ass whoopin? People used to "knock out" their frustrations. Now-a-days, not so much. You can get 5 years for assault just for giving the ole 1 - 2 punch. But here's the thing. These thugs don't want to knock out their frustration. They want to annihilate their opposition, you know, the guy who dissed your sister, bumped into you in the hallway, still owes you $50 bucks, said a sly comment to you girl etc.

What suddenly happened where death is the penalty for petty grievances? I would be grateful if we could go back to the good old fighting days. For the most part (I'm not talking large metropolitan cities), people used to could walk away, albeit slightly bruised, to fight again another day. Some foes actually became friends.

People have turned vicious, an unnatural viciousness where death to your foe is the desired outcome.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
You know, it's not guns....or knives......or baseball bats. It's not race either even though that might be the obvious looking at the stats. This IS Chicago, this is Chicago's future. Somebody needs to figure this out!

cps.edu...

Student enrollment:

Preschool: 22,873
Kindergarten: 28,978
Elementary (1-8): 232,825
Secondary (9-12): 112,007
Additional student information
Economically Disadvantaged Students: 86.02%
English Language Learners (ELL): 16.7%

Student racial makeup:

African American: 39.3%
Asian: 3.6%
Asian/Pacific Islander (retired): 0.01%
Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 0.2%
Hispanic: 45.6%
Multi-Racial: 1.1%
Native American/Alaskan: 0.3%
White: 9.4%
Not Available: 0.6%

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: luthier

I said nothing about a government's duty to protect, I said the government doesn't have a duty to regulate human respect for life.

Police protection and instilling respect for life are not even remotely the same thing.

Well my comment was if the police were actually enough of a presence and the business protected on top of not attaching property tax as the major funding of schools these gangs wouldn't have such an easy time doing bad things.

Maybe a few stand your ground laws would help good people protect their stores and property too.

Obviously there are some better policing measures that would help. It's worth the extra money considering all the other waste that the government spends on things they aren't supposed to.

Maybe it should be clarified that the police are no better than the people they are protecting when it comes to being ethical and moral. If they had a caring police dept. which followed the laws, things might be different.

Researchers from the University of Illinois-Chicago on Thursday released the report entitled “Crime, Corruption and Cover-ups in the Chicago Police Department,” which details police corruption and offers remedies.

www.wbez.org...

Officers Allege Widespread Corruption Inside Chicago Police Department
www.nbcchicago.com...

Chicago Police Dept. is the most corrupt Police Dept in the nation!!!

www.topix.com...

edit on 1-10-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

More laws will put a stop to this!

Said no sane person ever.

more guns will put a stop to this

said no sane person ever

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

When you live in a world where you are not valued, you have nothing, and the only way you think you can get something, is to take it from someone else, this is what you get. When you are born into a society where life itself has no value, and with the promise of a better life after death, dying often becomes more attractive than living.

I have said it a hundred times before. This is not new, this has occurred repeatedly throughout history. It is a flawless pattern that allows the rich to remain rich, and the poor to remain poor. Where it becomes ridiculous, is when the poor keep waiting for the rich to fix the existing system, that keeps them rich and in power. How stupid can we be?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the police are part of the problem. See my previous post.

Also, to all members, I have been working and couldn't attend to my thread, thus, I am playing catch-up!

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I read a story a few years ago where a young woman that had been born and raised in America, went home to try to live in her father's native village in a country in Africa. Of course it was about her personal learning experience, but one of biggest cultural shocks for her was the accepted expectation that the whole village had, for the wealthier members of their community.

The people who had more, were expected to provide a way for the less fortunate to care for their families, without stripping them of their pride, worth and dignity. She was scolded when she cleaned her own house and tended to her own yard, because was stealing from the poorer members of her community. It was expected that she hired her less fortunate neighbors to work for her, and that she pay them what she could afford. Like what she would spend on a cup of Starbucks coffee or an ice cream cone from Cold Stone Creamery. To just give them the money was an extreme insult.

Now I can't remember the name of the book or even the name of the village or country for that matter, but I never forgot the ideology. Is it possible that we could work out a system where everyone would be able to work, own their own little cottages, maintain their dignity, and provide for their families? It surely would cost far less than all the failed social programs we have had to date. The huge question is who would be the loser in a system like that?

Obviously it would be extremely dangerous to allow such system; or it would seem, commonsense would have brought us closer to a more favorable system before now.

Maybe in Africa that would work but I can stoutly say WITHOUT A DOUBT, that will NOT work in the US of A. Not to be offensive but hey, I'll let the stats speak for themselves.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Okay, it's a little deeper than I imagined:

Chicago has maintained its first-place status, but not for something for which the city should be proud.

The city was once again named the corruption capital of America, according to a report released Thursday by the University of Illinois at Chicago.

***SNIP***

Illinois was ranked as third most-corrupt state in the country. New York was the most corrupt state with 2,657 public corruption convictions from 1976 – 2013. California followed with 2,549 convictions and Illinois was third with 1,982.

"All of this corruption in Chicago and Illinois has real costs -- hard dollar costs and intangible costs," Dick Simpson, a political science professor at UIC and co-author of the report, said in a statement.

Source: www.nbcchicago.com...
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

Source: www.nbcchicago.com...

edit on 1-10-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

I have to disagree on this one. While I hate gangbangers with a passion. Some of these kids can be shown the error of their ways. If you just pay attention to them and listen to what they have to say. Why they do what they do. I have personally helped many young people get out of the gang lifestyle.

I am not someone who just talks about it. I grew up in these gang infested hellholes. I got out. Since I got out. I still go into these war zones and actually try to help. Not all gang member deserves a bullet for being young and dumb. But some can not be helped and those are the ones who need to be stood up to.

I call gangbangers cowards to their face. Like I have said on here before. Not to brag, but I have had guns to my head. I have been shot at. I have been stabbed more than once. I have faced these problems. I have helped people. I have stood up to the gangs. I know what gangs control which blocks. I know the names of most of the gang chiefs. I know who all the drug dealers are. I know the problem first hand. But I would never advocated just killing everyone.

And like edumakated said. If I know all this. The police know all this. Its the culture of silence that stop the police finding this information in a way that is admissible and leads to a prosecution. It is bigger than just the gang members themselves. Its the people who associate with them.

Who are family members. Who buy drugs from them. Most of the drug users are from outside the neighborhood. The corrupt sheriffs that help them move weapons and drugs and offer protection. How do you think drugs get in jail? The alderman that do the same. I know of one alderman that is quite famous that i have on good authority helped a certain gang move guns in the eighties. I heard this from people who would know. But it is hearsay and nothing more. Because everyone involved will deny it. The shady lawyers who do the same. The outsiders who enable all this. Are we supposed to kill them all? Even the grandmas who just want to believe their grandson is not bad so they turn a blind eye, and let drugs be stored in their house.

This problem can not be solved by simply murdering every gang member. Fantasizing about doing so makes people part of the problem. Wishing death on people is part of the problem our whole culture faces. The gang problem is just one manifestation of this wider societal problem.

Declaring them terrorist makes it so its not murder under the NDAA. they are illegal combatants and are terrorizing the US governments people. It may seem mean but they are no better than someone in ISIS and as such deserve no second chances. Deprotation or death should be the choice. Not wishing death on anyone but you cant argue it was effective when the FBI was doing it to the gansters. Im just saying of a way to GEt rid of the gang problem using the laws we have in place.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Where is Obama on this???????

He's busy with the Oregon shootings. Such a tragedy, it truly breaks my heart. So do these killings in Chicago. Is the difference because some are more innocent than others? Because, where IS Obama?

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join