It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 50 People Shot for the Second Weekend in a Row in Chicago

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Then I suggest you find the thread discussing 50 people shot in all of South Carolina last weekend, let alone one of your cities. Unless you lived and breathed Chicago, it's going to be very hard to grasp the problems and viewpoints of the communities that represent the extremely segregated, and for good reason as evidenced by crime statistics, neighborhoods of the city of Chicago and it's southern suburbs which are harder than most big cities like Harvey, Chicago Heights, and Ford Heights. Suburbs so corrupt that their police departments were shut down by the state and are now patrolled solely by Cook County Sheriffs.

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: LooseLipsSinkShips
Chicago doesn't have a gang problem, it has a lack of family structure problem which is the worst in black households. 72% of black kids are born out of wedlock. Is it the black mans fault for impregnating his black women and then leaving all responsibility behind or is it the black woman's fault for lying down with questionable black men in a hopeless quest to find love that she never had due to her not having an active black father? No wonder these women choose to have babies at a young age, the love between a mother and her baby is second to none. Now the black woman has love that is not fleeting or pretend,she has the love only a mother can have for her child.

As a former Chicago resident, and teacher at a low income school, I am glad that I moved out of the overtaxed and over problematic existence that is cook county. The corrupt individuals, in power, just exploit these communities for their gain and their only solution is more taxes and more government programs that don't work. Thank God for Arizona!

Right....maybe read some urban anthropology to get a better sense of the situation its hardly that simple.

I live in a black community in south Carolina. We don't have even close to the problems of Chicago. Not even close.

In fact it's an extremely well integrated culture in Columbia despite what the news will tell you.

edit on 30-9-2015 by LooseLipsSinkShips because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Then I suggest you find the thread discussing 50 people shot in all of South Carolina last weekend, let alone one of your cities. Unless you lived and breathed Chicago, it's going to be very hard to grasp the problems and viewpoints of the communities that represent the extremely segregated, and for good reason as evidenced by crime statistics, neighborhoods of the city of Chicago and it's southern suburbs which are harder than most big cities like Harvey, Chicago. Heights, and Ford Heights. Suburbs so corrupt that their police departments were shut down by the state and are now patrolled solely by Cook County Sheriffs.

originally posted by: luthier

Chicago doesn't have a gang problem, it has a lack of family structure problem which is the worst in black households. 72% of black kids are born out of wedlock. Is it the black mans fault for impregnating his black women and then leaving all responsibility behind or is it the black woman's fault for lying down with questionable black men in a hopeless quest to find love that she never had due to her not having an active black father? No wonder these women choose to have babies at a young age, the love between a mother and her baby is second to none. Now the black woman has love that is not fleeting or pretend,she has the love only a mother can have for her child.

As a former Chicago resident, and teacher at a low income school, I am glad that I moved out of the overtaxed and over problematic existence that is cook county. The corrupt individuals, in power, just exploit these communities for their gain and their only solution is more taxes and more government programs that don't work. Thank God for Arizona!

Right....maybe read some urban anthropology to get a better sense of the situation its hardly that simple.

I live in a black community in south Carolina. We don't have even close to the problems of Chicago. Not even close.

In fact it's an extremely well integrated culture in Columbia despite what the news will tell you.

No really its not. Living somewhere gives you a sense but if you have the wrong preconcieved ideas then you still don't reach the correct conclusion.

I guess white people love giving their kids drugs to control them then?

No wait your right it's because black people are inherently defective and can't have families that must be it.

I can tell you South Carolina is one of the poorest states in the country. I can tell you poor people have much less family stability. I can tell you black culture started the poorest of poor and was segregated in my parents lifetime.

Wonder if there is a connection to violence and poverty ...
edit on 30-9-2015 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Why bring white people into this thread? I was going to ask you why you think the problems in the black communities are what they are but I think I already know your answer. Thank you for your input, your feedback is appreciated.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
No wonder Humana pulled out of our state Exchange and Blue Cross is raising our premiums 32% on 1.1.2016!

Adding insult to injury (pun intended), the state of Illinois is broke, with no budget in place. It started issuing IOUs to many lotto winners last month, and will no longer send out license plate renewal notices starting tomorrow, 10.1.2015. Traffic and other violation tickets are being issued at a record pace, and the state stopped paying employee medical bills.

The anger is increasing. 50 shootings will not even be newsworthy soon.

Unfortunately, the poorer IL becomes, the higher the crime rates will go. Chicago needs to focus on their economy, and I certainly hope they aren't going to be receiving any refugees. In fact, I'm going to check on it, not that I'm trying to derail my own thread but it would definitely hinder progress.....if you can call it that.

Yes, Chicago is and has been on the receiving end. Fortunately not too many. The North side of Chicago has ME communities.
edit on 30-9-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Why bring white people into this thread? I was going to ask you why you think the problems in the black communities are what they are but I think I already know your answer. Thank you for your input, your feedback is appreciated.

Have you studied the subject from a non biased viewpoint or anthropology? Or did you make your own conclusion? There is a science called anthropology that helps you limit personal bias.

Hey here is a fun thing to study. How many middle class black neighborhoods and families have the same problems as the ones in poverty?

Just wondering if you think if its a gene thing or skin color or culture?

Culture is effected by its surroundings. I understand it's the culture but, what does than mean?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
So what is the answer then? A cleansing of certain neighborhoods in cities like this every few years? Seriously idk. No sarcasm here for or against gun control. But wtf is the answer? Stats like this are insane.

I don't know, nor obviously do the city's leaders. This didn't just start yesterday. It seems they can't get a handle on it though. You'd think people would move out of that area.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

I'm trying to figure out what a "proactive approach to gun control" would be. How exactly does that work?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LooseLipsSinkShips

ALmost all the shooting in chicago have been males according to their paper.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
If only there wasn't so much gun con.... Oh wait, there isn't.

I appreciate the pro gun lobby won't comment on this thread, but as soon as one person dies in the U.K by gunshot wound, they jump all over it, exclaiming that it probably wouldn't happen if the U.K didn't have such tight gun controls.

Edit - My bad. It appears that no matter how many people are killed, gun control is not the answer.

And they never mention the thousands of hospital visits and injuries caused by people being stabbed.

Nor do they mention the economic status of those getting killed. Usually teenagers getting offended because they had been "dissed" or fighting over gang turf, or some unfortunate shop owner or pedestrian being mugged.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Correct! As I've always said...no good shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted
Wayyyy too late now to do anything about guns that will not take years to see a result

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I live just outside Chicago and the problem does not stay within city limits. Its coming here too. I have spoken out for many years about this very subject and how foolish it is to believe that legislation will ever solve this problem.

I am tired of hearing gun control legislation referred to as "common sense" legislation. There is nothing common sense about it. It is destined to fail, just like every other piece of "common sense" legislation before it.

Mayor Jane Byrne passed legislation in 1982 banning hand guns in the city of Chicago. In 2010 the US Supreme court determined that law was unconstitutional and overturned it. Mayor Daley immediately promised to create new legislation that would accomplish the same goal but by different means. In other words, he publicly declared he was going to do something unconstitutional in nature to prevent law abiding citizens from practicing their constitutional rights in the city of Chicago. Since the outset of the Chicago handgun ban, the percentage of Chicago murders committed with handguns has averaged about 40% higher than it was before the law took effect. Why in heavens name would anyone want to recreate legislation that had such a huge negative impact on the crime rate in Chicago?

How can anyone look at this legislation, or any legislation like it, and call it common sense? It simply isn't. Its a mistake. It doesn't work. It never has and it never will. The concept is so simple it amazes me that supposedly intelligent people cant understand it. I will explain it again. Guns do not break laws. People break laws. You can pass all the laws you want against inanimate objects but it will accomplish nothing. You need to address the people committing the crimes, not the tools they use. Legislation does not work on criminals. Criminals break the law. That is why we call them criminals. There are dozens of laws already on the books in Chicago preventing the use of firearms in criminal activity. Can someone please tell me why anyone would think that one more law is the one that will suddenly make the difference and make it all work? It just doesn't work that way. It cant. It doesn't matter how many laws you pass today, tomorrow there will still be criminals out there in the streets breaking those laws. That is what criminals do.

Please, stop wasting the precious few resources we have to fight this battle on useless legislation that failed before it even started. We all want a solution but not just any solution, we want one that will actually work for once. And we will never get that solution if all we do is make the same dumb mistake over and over again....like we have since 1982. Isn't it time for a change? How many more lives have to be lost before the anti-gun lobby will swallow their pride and seek a real solution to the problem?

Please. Make the change now....while we still can.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Variable

Maybe Rahm should ban guns in and around Chicago. That should fix the problem right?

Yah… for criminal gangs, like the government.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Any area that has a large group of people with no money, jobs or hopes for anything better, if they have the power or opportunity will either cannibalize from within or they will terrorize and steal from their neighbors.

Or rise up against the real oppressors, the government. Thats why they cry havoc about crime and then propose more gun control. Over time law abiding citizens have less means to defend themselves against the biggest criminal gang of all.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
If only there wasn't so much gun con.... Oh wait, there isn't.

I appreciate the pro gun lobby won't comment on this thread, but as soon as one person dies in the U.K by gunshot wound, they jump all over it, exclaiming that it probably wouldn't happen if the U.K didn't have such tight gun controls.

Edit - My bad. It appears that no matter how many people are killed, gun control is not the answer.

Gun control, is aiming before you squeeze the trigger .

Lol

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You will get no argument from me there.

It is too bad that we have to let things get so bad that violence is the only solution.

I should add my third motto to my signature. "Nip it in the bud."

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Variable

After multiple weekends in a row of increased violence in the city, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging a fresh and more proactive approach to gun control.

Maybe Rahm should ban guns in and around Chicago. That should fix the problem right?

...Sorry if this is like the 99th sarcastic post.

V

It can't be stated enough, as far as I'm concerned. Chicago is the poster city for the failure of strict gun control laws in this country. Perhaps instead of concentrating on taking firearms away from the 99.99% of people who are obeying the law and using their firearms responsibly, maybe they should instead worry about the gangs and other criminal activity that is rampant in our inner cities and is the real underlying factor in most of these homicides. Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
On the plus side that'll be an income increase for a bunch of people that now can get disability so maybe that's the angle we should focus on . Get shot get disability!! It seems to work here in Benton Harbor MI.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I have people who have never lived in Chicago ask me if it is like the wild wild west. If you walk out the door and constantly see bullets flying and bodies dropping. I always say no, but it seems like they do not believe me. Because if your just reading the news from outside Chicago. That is how it seems.

But like others have said. All the violence in Chicago is concentrated in a handful of neighborhoods on the south and west sides. And it is mostly gangbangers shooting other gangbangers. The rest of the city is pretty safe and is actually really nice. So those fifty people who died. The majority of them were gang members. Not all of them. Innocent people do get shot by the gangbangers sometimes. But as sad to say as it is. Those innocent people almost always associated with gang members. That is why they were around the gang members when they got shot.

If you do not live in one of these areas on the west or south sides and do not associate with gang members. Then you do not have to deal with it. The violence very rarely leaves those areas. I grew up in one of the worst areas on the southside. I thought that is how the whole city was. But then I worked hard and moved out. To my surprise the rest of the city was fantastic.

Some of these people who perpetrate the violence never leave their neighborhoods. They never learn anything different than warzone conditions. My father was a gang member. And I remember clearly, he only ever went to certain places where his gang controlled. Never straying out of his self imposed prison. Because he feared being recognized by a rival and shot.

That was my reality. I am surprised to this day that I did not fall into the same trap. That I was smart enough to realize it was a trap. But I always thought it was stupid to fight over blocks that do not even belong to you. Most of the gangbangers do not own anything on the blocks they claim. And they are all fighting each other because in the seventies someone stepped on someone shoes. So that guy killed the guy who stepped on his shoes. Then that guys gang killed the guy who killed the guy who stepped on someones shoes. Then that guys gang killed the one who killed him. Rinse and repeat.

Ask any gangbanger why he killed the guy he did, and he will say it was because they killed his boy. The ones on the other side say the same thing. Then when you trace it back far enough it was always over something stupid that happened a long time ago to people they never met or knew.

Plus the original gang hierarchy in Chicago (The Peoples and Folks) had a strict code of rules. That were taught to every gang member. They were trying to be more organized crime than street thug. Then those people were all killed or put in jail. That left a massive amount of households with no fathers and a bunch of kids on the street who just went wild without the original more structured rules and leadership in place. Crime is always going to exist. When it does. It is better for it to be organized then completely chaotic.

Just to also add. Chicago is becoming safer every year. Not because they have figured out how to stop the violence. But because they are making it too expensive for the gang members to live in the city. Rent gets raised. Richer people move in. Gang members move out to the suburbs. Because of this. The violence is rising in the suburbs and lessening in the city. Which is good for the city. Bad for the suburbs. And bad for the poorer people who lived in those neighborhoods who are not gang members.
edit on 1-10-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

You will get no argument from me there.

It is too bad that we have to let things get so bad that violence is the only solution.

I should add my third motto to my signature. "Nip it in the bud."

I'd be more inclined to MLK and Ghandi style non violent protest. Just stopping participation in the system is the change we can all be. As difficult as that is, by design, it is one option…

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: StoutBroux

After multiple weekends in a row of increased violence in the city, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging a fresh and more proactive approach to gun control.

The guns aren't the murderers doing the killing. I bet not one of those firearms is controlled by lawful citizens.

Making guns more illegal isn't going to reduce crime. Killers know they have an edge when they are the only ones packing.

Yeah but if guns were illegal then people wouldn't be getting shot with such regularity. A quick fact check shows that there were more people killed by firearms in one of the incidents in the OP than the entire 2011/2 period for the WHOLE of the UK. I for one am glad to be raising my children in a country where firearms are a very rare.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join