It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 50 People Shot for the Second Weekend in a Row in Chicago

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

More Than 50 People Shot for the Second Weekend in a Row in Chicago

Four people were killed and 52 wounded during shootings across Chicago over the weekend. After multiple weekends in a row of increased violence in the city, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging a fresh and more proactive approach to gun control. The latest incidents, including the murder of a pregnant mother, come on the heels of two weekends in a row with more than 50 shootings in Chicago.

At least 2,300 people have been shot in Chicago this year alone, according to the Chicago Tribune. According to their analysis, that's roughly 400 more incidents than during the same period in 2014. Homicides are currently up 21 percent in 2015, with the past two weekends pointing to a noticeable increase in gun-related violence.

news.yahoo.com...

Chicago murder rate far worse since strict gun control
By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Monday, February 4, 2013

Chicago’s murder rate is far worse now than it was during the city’s most notorious crime era, Al Capone’s “gangland,” when gun-control laws hardly existed, ABC reports.

Leading up to the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre, there were 26 killings in January 1929. Yet, 42 people were killed in Chicago last month, catching the attention of Chicagoans, the White House and politicians nationwide.

Chicago has the strictest gun-control laws in the country. “Assault weapons” and high-capacity magazines are completely banned, and up until a 2010 Supreme Court decision, handguns were banned, too.

Residents now can get a permit to own a gun, but the process requires training, background checks and a firearm owner’s identification card.

Only 7,640 people currently hold a firearms permit in Chicago, but police seized 7,400 guns used in crimes in 2012 alone, the Washington Examiner reports.

www.washingtontimes.com...

I am shocked about this. I posted two articles. One is from 2013 and the other is recent. This is terrible news.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I saw this posted on a rival site - boy oh boy were the supremacist out in full force.
Sucks that people are dying.
Sucks that they're killing each other.
Sad that they have little to no ability to change it.
Indoctrinated into crime.

-Toy the Bear

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

After multiple weekends in a row of increased violence in the city, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging a fresh and more proactive approach to gun control.

The guns aren't the murderers doing the killing. I bet not one of those firearms is controlled by lawful citizens.

Making guns more illegal isn't going to reduce crime. Killers know they have an edge when they are the only ones packing.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

More laws will put a stop to this!

Said no sane person ever.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

"“America has the highest gun homicide rate, the highest number of guns per capita . . . .”

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
If only there wasn't so much gun con.... Oh wait, there isn't.

I appreciate the pro gun lobby won't comment on this thread, but as soon as one person dies in the U.K by gunshot wound, they jump all over it, exclaiming that it probably wouldn't happen if the U.K didn't have such tight gun controls.

Edit - My bad. It appears that no matter how many people are killed, gun control is not the answer.

edit on 30/9/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Milah
www.nytimes.com...

"“America has the highest gun homicide rate, the highest number of guns per capita . . . .”

Must be true its on the internet....

Take a trip to Mexico and tell me where you feel more safe.

America has very high condensed areas of crime in extremely bad and poor inner cities.
It's been proven.by places like MA you just replace gun deaths with stabbing and beatings.

We have a culture and crime problem in crime ridden poor parts of cities.

Look at the stats when gang violence is taken out. Thats on the government for failing the people not guns.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

$hitcago has the strictest firearm laws in the US. Tell us again how well these laws are working.

As a legal firearm owner in Hellinois, I'm held to a much higher standard than the folks that commit these crimes. Until we start enforcing our current laws to their maximum extent, nothing will change.

But then folks will whine about racism.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is urging a fresh and more proactive approach to gun control.

Whew...what a relief. There's nothing to worry about.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
No wonder Humana pulled out of our state Exchange and Blue Cross is raising our premiums 32% on 1.1.2016!

Adding insult to injury (pun intended), the state of Illinois is broke, with no budget in place. It started issuing IOUs to many lotto winners last month, and will no longer send out license plate renewal notices starting tomorrow, 10.1.2015. Traffic and other violation tickets are being issued at a record pace, and the state stopped paying employee medical bills.

The anger is increasing. 50 shootings will not even be newsworthy soon.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Why would they cry about racism?
Are you saying only black people commit crimes?
Do you frequent other fringe sites?
Would love to see what you write when not being moderated.
I expect that's why many aren't commenting here.
They can't say what they really want to say.
Truth be told I can't say what I really want to say too.

-Toy the Bear

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Edit - My bad. It appears that no matter how many people are killed, gun control is not the answer.

The only gun control needed is keeping them out of the hands of criminals, but in a country with a constitution that protects someone's right to own and have firearms, you can't just take them away from everyone just in case they will commit a crime with them.

You are obviously ideologically driven, but I hope that you can at least accept the fact that criminals, by nature, disregard laws in order to do whatever the hell they please, to include taking human life by firearm. How is even stricter gun control in a place like Chicago going to stop that?

hint: It won't.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
Look at the stats when gang violence is taken out. Thats on the government for failing the people not guns.

I would argue that it's not the government's place nor duty to regulate human respect for life--it's a community and parental problem in these areas, not a governmental one.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Gang members can't stop shooting each other, so the rest of the country needs to be disarmed because of it. Sure, makes sense.

The gun crime stats in the US are bunk. Pure punk. We don't have a gun problem, we have a gang/thug/ghetto culture problem. If you remove gun crime stats from a few specific cities the picture is more clear. The overwhelming majority of Americans are mature enough to be armed and never commit crimes. Gang members, thug-wannabes, and ghetto minded youths are not that mature.

Their actions are skewing the statistics to make it seem like the entire country of America is some wild-west cowboy town with daily shootouts. It's not. The majority of the US is incredibly peaceful and safe, but those places get dirtied up by the statistics from gang/thug infested cities that lay their problems on the rest of the country and expect law-abiding peaceful citizens to abandon their best hope of self defense because gang members can't stop shooting each other.

But, by all means, let's hear from all the anti-gun people about how I'm wrong. I could use some amusement this morning.

edit on 30-9-2015 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Skipper Obama's home state, run by the little buddy...imagine that!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You could ban all guns in the US today, and you would not see the effect for the next 25 to 50 years, 300 mill+ guns doesn't just go away.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Gun controls a joke, buying illegal guns is easy as buying drugs

They want you to give up freedoms so they can protect you from all the evil in the world

There's always going to be crazy people and that's really sad and makes me sad but it's reality.
edit on 30-9-2015 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yep.. mammals, lower end of human consciousness taking over sanity reason, purpose, and morality.

Lunar Effect

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: shockedonlooker
Skipper Obama's home state, run by the little buddy...imagine that!

My exact thought.

The most politically correct city in the US.

Run by an Obamaite.

Run by every liberal and progressive principal
one can find anywhere in the nation.

Run with the strictest gun control laws in the country.

Steeply bound in the liberal and progressive traditions and
following them to the letter for generations.

Like the way it is turning out?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: James1982
Gang members can't stop shooting each other, so the rest of the country needs to be disarmed because of it. Sure, makes sense.

The gun crime stats in the US are bunk. Pure punk. We don't have a gun problem, we have a gang/thug/ghetto culture problem. If you remove gun crime stats from a few specific cities the picture is more clear. The overwhelming majority of Americans are mature enough to be armed and never commit crimes. Gang members, thug-wannabes, and ghetto minded youths are not that mature.

Their actions are skewing the statistics to make it seem like the entire country of America is some wild-west cowboy town with daily shootouts. It's not. The majority of the US is incredibly peaceful and safe, but those places get dirtied up by the statistics from gang/thug infested cities that lay their problems on the rest of the country and expect law-abiding peaceful citizens to abandon their best hope of self defense because gang members can't stop shooting each other.

But, by all means, let's hear from all the anti-gun people about how I'm wrong. I could use some amusement this morning.

You are absolutely 100% correct.

Chicago has a violent gang problem in certain neighborhoods. To the poster that said something about racism, the fact of the matter is that race is part of it whether we want to hear it said or not. In Chicago, the stats on the assailant/victim race is 78.7% black and 17.4 hispanic. Stats are stats. They are not racist.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join