It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we living in a simulated reality?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
There is a pretty good argument that if you are living in the period of time just before simulated reality is invented, it is far more likely than not that you are already living in a simulation. The logic is if you look at the timeline of humanity as a whole that the odds of being alive just before simulated reality is invented are low. This is predicated on Ray Kurtzwald's claim that we are close to a technological singularity.

if you think that many civilizations do survive to become “posthuman,” and that many of those posthuman civilizations are indeed interested in running simulations, then option 3—that you are just a computer simulation—becomes a serious probability...

This paper also predicts why our posthuman descendants might want to simulate our universe: to test out string theory. Currently, string theory is overpowered by a vast landscape of possible versions of string theory, and scientists haven’t figured out which one might describe our universe. Detailed simulations would allow posthuman races to test hypotheses about these universes, ruling out possible versions of string theory to zero in on the one that describes their real universe.

Are We Living in a Computer Simulation?
ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?
edit on 9/30/2015 by DannyTorrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yes this is a simulated reality, our scientists/experts have found computer code in the very fabric of reality in the form of binary code. Not just any code but a specific self repeating error correcting binary code made in the 1940s by Claude Shannon of MIT. So we have evidence which means we are in a simulation of some sort or another.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

some of our atmosphere is 'simulated' obviously for public consumption and propaganda purposes but I dont think everything we see feel smell touch taste or think is 'faked' to make us believe we are something/somewhere we're not really, idk.. does it really matter if it's all made up b.s.?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I agree with the prediction that we are approaching a singularity where as John von Neumann described, "technological progress will become incomprehensively rapid and complicated."

I think the whole "we live in a simulated reality" thing is just a notion popularized by "The Matrix."

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: blacktie

some of our atmosphere is 'simulated' obviously for public consumption and propaganda purposes but I dont think everything we see feel smell touch taste or think is 'faked' to make us believe we are something/somewhere we're not really, idk.. does it really matter if it's all made up b.s.?

Um yes it matters, it is what it is and we are what we are, but we are also what we arent. . . . .LOLz

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Self repeating error correcting binary code? holy cow, maybe we are a Prion disease in gods brain!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DannyTorrance

Don't get me wrong, I like Ray Kurzweil for his adaptive technology roots as well as his synthesizers and samplers but, not for his singularity concept.

The whole thing reminded me of the ridiculous idea around that time that we as humans had "learned all there is to learn" and was at least as absurd.

As for this reality being a synthesized construct, aside from being conceivable due to the holographic principal among other fascinating astrophysical postulates and supportive of the flawed starting rational of solopsism, it seems entirely unlikely.
edit on 30-9-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Yes this is a simulated reality, our scientists/experts have found computer code in the very fabric of reality in the form of binary code. Not just any code but a specific self repeating error correcting binary code made in the 1940s by Claude Shannon of MIT. So we have evidence which means we are in a simulation of some sort or another.

I have come across that before and something tells me when I looked closely at the work, it wasn't well supported but, I could be wrong. In any case, that topic is also intriguing and deserves a thread of its own.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
yes its simulated, whats a technological singularity?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Well this wasnt my reference to a simulation, but its more sustainable, i just wish people understood how retarded they actually are.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Looking at our technology now, I think we will be able to create a simulated reality before we terraform another planet and before we fully understand the world we are in now. It's entities would be "sentient" just like we are and wouldn't know of their origins...exactly like we are.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: solve

Self repeating error correcting binary code? holy cow, maybe we are a Prion disease in gods brain!

Lol I didn't expect to see Prions in a thread about Simulated Reality. Prions are so fascinating to me, if you get the chance read "The family that didn't sleep" if you get the chance, it is how I learned about them and became interested. Excellent book, even for non-fiction.

Sorry for the interruption in a topic I find most interesting. In my opinion our reality is most definitely simulated in some form or another. In other words, this isn't what we think it is. I believe I have verification of this from the "other side" but most will probably disagree. It is concrete physical evidence however, it is just debatable who is providing the evidence.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Yes, we are ETs' COD modern warfare game!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Do you have any links to that? Is that the table of stable isotopes, the Standard Model, or something more fundamental?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I sure hope so then there may be hope to re-write the program, but I am not sure technically it could be considered a reality, unless reality is in fact simulated, which has not been nor ever will be quantified as a fact.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
The whole thing reminded me of the ridiculous idea around that time that we as humans had "learned all there is to learn" and was almost as absurd.

I no longer believe the bible to be the word of god, but I do believe some things stated therein are a universal constant, such as Solomon's statement that, "there is nothing new under the sun."

If this is a simulation, then all that has been experienced, developed, and discovered has happened before this simulation. It would then seem that this statement is true as there is nothing new... just events being infinitely repeated.

Although no hard evidence exists yet, I like to believe that the ancients were as technologically advanced as us, or more so. And maybe they annihilated themselves, at least a few times over. So shall we, with our ever-expanding knowledge finally engulfing us in flames.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Do you have any links to that? Is that the table of stable isotopes, the Standard Model, or something more fundamental?

Here are a few but there are many more, you will have to look into it more yourself.

Computer Code Discovered In Superstring Equations

The Matrix is Real

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The proof is that at some point the programmers of our simulated reality changed the name of the Berenstein Bears to Berenstain to mess with us. LOL.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Wow my mind is being blown today. Thanks for linking those 2 videos explaining the code that was found in superstring, I also jumped at the initial comment but couldn't find the info from googlefu-ing.

Can we assume that any creator of our simulation would only create us knowing that the net outcome for us would be positive, or beneficial, or desired? Meaning that we wouldn't just blink out of existence once the simulation was finished or we expire? Or would blinking out of existence actually be the desired outcome if we knew of the alternative? Would they model that outcome off of the actual outcome of completing their simulation or dying in their reality?

If we as a society have the ability next year to create these simulations that will spawn true consciousness for the entities involved, would we do so as a united species knowing they were all just going to blink out of existence once we shut the computer off or would morals and ethics dictate that something more desired is done? I am just extrapolating whether or not we can assume we as a species in the future will take the same outlook.

What if we are a simulation inside of a simulation etc, would the sim creaters of sims eventually just look at them as inconsequential entities, knowing that they themselves are also inconsequential entities in the eyes of the creator of their sim? I ask this because it seems to me more and more likely that we are indeed living in a simulated reality and I wonder if this has any bearing on what happens when we die as oppose to living in "real reality". If religion is correct and there is a heaven would we still qualify? Are we beta testing the program and will unplug and log out and be dressed in plastic sitting in our VR booths in the year 2115? Are we actually migrating across the stars in huge colonial mother ships to a terraformed planet and just keeping our minds busy during the trip?

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia

This Should give you some idea of what a technological singularity is and the possible outcomes if one emerges.

Have you considered that a technological singularity has already occurred and a simulated reality could be one of the outcomes?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join