It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Pope Francis Thanked Me for My Courage’

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I do not believe a word this guy says, but here ya go. Oh, and he claims an American Bishop had nothing to do with it.

Mat Staver of the Liberty Counsel, which has been representing Davis, told CBS News that the Vatican contacted him a few days before the pope was to arrive on his historic visit, his first to the U.S., because Francis had been following Davis’ saga “and obviously is very concerned about religious freedom not just in the United States but worldwide.”

Despite the blanket media coverage of every move the pope made during his visit, which ended Sunday night, Staver said he worked with the Vatican to sneak Davis and her husband, Joe, into the Vatican embassy in Washington where Francis was staying.

They arrived in an SUV, he said, and Davis hid her distinctive long hair “in a different way because her hair is very recognizable from the mug shot.”

- See more at: sojo.net...-

edit on 1-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yeah, I don't believe Staver either. He's basically a slime ball who uses people.

There's also this... Source

Vatican: Kim Davis meeting not an endorsement...

Vatican deputy spokesman Father Thomas Rosica said the audience, which included several dozen other people, didn't amount to an endorsement.

"The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis, and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects," Rosica said.

This sounds more like the truth. The pope probably feels the same as I do about religious freedom. Yes, I support people's right to believe and worship as they see fit, but not if it imposes on others' freedoms.

It sounds like this meeting is a bit of an embarrassment to the Vatican. They had no idea the political crapstorm they were getting into, IMO.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

"A bit of controversy"?

It's more then a bit. What's with sneaking her in? What's with her having to disguise herself?

It's too late for damage control.

I'll go back to my original comment. It was inappropriate.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Vatican Says Kim Davis 'Exploited' the Pope

Papal spokesman Federico Lombardi is disputing Liberty Counsel's version of the meeting between renegade antigay county clerk Kim Davis and the pope, saying people shouldn't read too much into it.

After Davis recounted the experience to ABC News and her attorney, Liberty Counsel chairman Mat Staver, claimed the pope told the defiant antigay clerk to "stay strong," the Vatican now says Pope Francis did not talk about Davis's defiance of federal law in denying same-sex couples marriage licenses. In fact, the Vatican claims that Davis's audience with the pope wasn't even a private meeting, as she and Staver have repeatedly claimed.

www.advocate.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
DAMAGE CONTROL

Yes, Pope Had a Private Meeting — With a Gay Couple

One day before he met antigay Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, Pope Francis had a private meeting at the Vatican Embassy in Washington, D.C. with a gay man and his partner, who the pontiff knew from Argentina, CNN reports.

Yayo Grassi, who has been with his partner, Iwan, for nearly 20 years, told CNN that Pope Francis personally arranged the meeting, and welcomed both men warmly with hugs at the Vatican Embassy in D.C. on September 23.

"Three weeks before the trip, he called me on the phone and said he would love to give me a hug," Grassi, a caterer who lives in D.C., told CNN.

Grassi has long maintained a correspondence with Pope Francis, who originally served as Grassi's high school literature and psychology teacher when he was Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, according to National Geographic.

After Bergoglio came out against Argentina's marriage equality efforts in 2010, Grassi struck up an email correspondence with the future pope, expressing his disappointment that his former mentor was taking a stance so personally hurtful to Grassi.

www.advocate.com...]

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Thinking about this - - - I think it will probably backfire on the Kim Davis types.

And, instead push a more positive acceptance of LGBT.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Vatican deputy spokesman Father Thomas Rosica said the audience, which included several dozen other people, didn’t amount to an endorsement.

“The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis, and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects,” Rosica said.

Vatican clears the air

Well someone isn't telling the truth. If the Vatican is to be believed, Mat Staver, Kim Davis' lawyer, was stretching the truth. It was reported by him that the Pope had a private meeting with her and her husband. Now it appears it was not private, but included dozens of people. And there were no specifics discussed between her and the Pope. Sounds like Mr. Staver should be releasing those private meeting photos sometime soon.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: harvestdog

Well someone isn't telling the truth.

I think the real truth lies somewhere in the middle. After all, no one's denying she was invited.

But, her lawyer already tried to pull that Peru Photo hoax.

He is totally exploiting this.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Yeah, her lawyer is probably just embellishing things a bit. You know, the prayer rally had 100,000 people but only had 4. The Pope meeting had 3 people, but really had dozens.

I could see the Pope lying but a lawyer? What is this world coming to when you can't trust a lawyer at his word?

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: harvestdog

I could see the Pope lying but a lawyer?

No, I think the Pope just did what Pope's do.

This is not something I'd hold him responsible for.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
THE PLOT THICKENS

Someone is lying

Rosica said the Vatican ambassador to the United States, “…invited a number of guests, his own choice, to greet the Pope, very brief greetings, and in the Pope’s characteristic kindness and hospitality he shook people’s hands and gave them Rosaries. In terms of why this person was invited, you’d have to ask the Nuncio.”

www.breitbart.com...

WHO IS THE NUNCIO?

Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano

To the displeasure of the pro-homosexual group, Apostolic Nuncio to the United States Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano was among the special guests at the third annual march in Washington, D.C., presented by the National Organization for Marriage (NOM).

www.lifesitenews.com...

BINGO - - WE HAVE A CONNECTION

Look - - its a 6 degrees game

ADDITIONAL Very Interesting Reading: www.esquire.com...

edit on 2-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The Vatican needs a lesson on "spin". They are trying to combat BS with truth. It doesn't work that way in America any more.

As far as meeting the Pope. M'eh. My father was on JP2's security. He spent time him and the Pope blessed our family. Sure hasn't done anything for my back.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
The Vatican needs a lesson on "spin". They are trying to combat BS with truth. It doesn't work that way in America any more.

Ya gotta read the Esquire article - - its a must.

So, Vigano, (kicked out of the Vatican in some what of a scandal) loyalist to Ratzinger - - goes to NOM meeting.

Guess who one of the guest speakers is - - none other then Mat Staver - - Old Kimi's lawyer.

www.esquire.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I love the title... Was Pope Francis Actually Swindled into Meeting Kim Davis?

This is what I have suspected ever since I heard about the "meeting". The religious right in the US is determined to get as many brownie points as they can. I bet the Pope is sorry this meeting happened now. He seems a little naive about the religio-political landscape int he US today.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I love the title... Was Pope Francis Actually Swindled into Meeting Kim Davis?

This is what I have suspected ever since I heard about the "meeting". The religious right in the US is determined to get as many brownie points as they can. I bet the Pope is sorry this meeting happened now. He seems a little naive about the religio-political landscape int he US today.

Me too. I think I picked that particular link because of the title.

I agree.

I do think he was blind sided.

At his age, I think he was probably very exhausted at the end of his trip. I think he was kind of in auto mode, doing what a Pope does.

It is sad that it makes him seem vulnerable and naive. I think he's a good man, even if he is religious.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I think he's a good man. He's kind, compassionate, respectful, loving and open-hearted. I just watched the video where he met his former student, a gay man, and his boyfriend.

Yayo Grassi, and his partner of 19 years, Iwan Bagus, met with Francis at the Apostolic Nunciature in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 23, Grassi said. Grassi is one of the pope’s former students.
“I need to testify to the fact that he’s not this homophobic person that people think he is,” Grassi said of the pope.
National Geographic reported that Grassi wrote to the pope in 2010 to criticize his views on gay marriage. “You have been my guide, continuously moving my horizons — you have shaped the most progressive aspects of my worldview. And to hear this from you is so disappointing,” Grassi wrote, according to National Geographic.

According to the magazine, Pope Francis wrote back to say that he had taken Grassi’s words to heart, but the Church’s position on gay marriage was fixed. But the pope also told his former student that homophobia has no place in his pastoral work.

Source

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I don't know if this is legit news or not --- but, I was kinda expecting something like this.

Pope Francis Expected to Fire Archbishop Who Set Up the Meeting With Kim Davis

After the huge blowback and resulting PR firestorm the Vatican endured for meeting with Kim Davis — the Kentucky county clerk who refuses to issue marriage licenses to LGBT couples — Pope Francis is expected to fire the church official who arranged the meeting.

usuncut.com...

edit on 5-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
34,000 Sign Petition Against Archbishop Who Reportedly Invited Kim Davis To Meet Pope

Faithful America, a Christian group that organizes social justice actions online, created a petition calling for Viganò to resign from his position as Vatican ambassador to the U.S.

"Inviting Kim Davis to a reception with Pope Francis undermined the pope's message to the United States and was a mean-spirited insult to the Kentucky couples whose marriage licenses she has tried to deny," the organization's petition reads. "For the good of the church, please resign immediately and allow Pope Francis to appoint a new apostolic nuncio."

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 7-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join