It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Makes America Anymore "Free" Than Any Other Country?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

What Makes America Anymore "Free" Than Any Other Country? - Their 'training' to be sheeple by the mass media does it.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The United States is a fine country.
It is not without areas that need improvement. However, it is progressive and allows citizens (that actually give a damn) real ways to be active and make change in public policy. If you are a citizen of the united states you can read, think and say whatever ideals you want. You can marry anyone from any class. You are not limited to a single occupation.

In the grand scheme of things- pretty awesome here. Of course there are plenty of other countries that have more civil liberties/ personal freedoms....but we ain't doing to bad for an adolescent county.

Not to get all Lee Greenwood up in here, but I've always been of the opinion that I am really fortunate to live in a country like this. Also, from working for various political campaigns, I've seen first hand how everyday citizens really can have an effect on changing public policy. That is pretty significant.

lastly- that whole silly part where you talked about getting stuff from the supermarket and going to the movies without paying for it....that's kinda how it works most everywhere lol. However you can go to the library and watch movies for free

Interesting post though!

Ambra
yay Texas
yay 'Merica ha ha
edit on 30-9-2015 by EvalynnAmbra because: grammar

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Because there propaganda say they are.

End of the day with the exception of murderous steroid pumped cops the USA is not much different from any other first world nation these days.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

LOL...well, Bernie Sanders can count on at least one vote.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

In my small and irrelevant opinion I believe the US and my own country are no more free than any other country. In fact. I believe there are no free countries or free people.

I am only free to choose who gets to tell me what I can or cant do. But humans can either have unlimited rights or no rights at all. And rights can not be given to you by another person. Since we all have to do as we are told or go to prison we have no rights and therefor are not free.

I think the democracy we live in is a lie. There are people in charge, making the rules and watching everyone to make sure those rules are followed. Your vote means nothing.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

What a completely ignorant statement. Wanna be a christian in Saudi Arabia? You'll be less than welcome. Access to a judicial system? Ask the kid there who as about to be literally crucified if he's getting any sort of trial at all. Are we as free as most European countries? Sure. But to say that we're just as, if not not more, violent and oppressive than any other country is pure blowhard hyperbole.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Simple. Because the words, 'to protect our Freedom' has allowed for the US government to create a literally unstoppable military force. US MIC is king, because our freedom 'requires' it.

We are no more free than many other countries. China? Yes. Uk? No.

im sure I am about to be slaughtered by a bunch of yahoos, 'but what about the right to bear arms?' Give me a break. The incarceration rate shows the US is honestly one of the least free countries there is.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Other countries:

US of A:

We're about as free as those shrooms!

you know what the biggest thing about these two pics is... the prices!
As a former chef back in the day its just second nature to look at the food cost and the product
and man that fresh produce looked good and the price was amazing, imagine the healthy diets the kids would get there.
now i'm guessing those mushrooms may have cost you about 4-5 bucks for that pissy little punnet, maybe $3.60 on special with some brown spots.
people cant eat healthy if they cant afford to, if it's cheaper to buy your family processed food for meals then the average joe will, to make ends meat.
why cant fresh food be this cheap in our stores, why cant our citizens be given the choice between a cheap fast food and cheap fresh food.
because we arnt allowed to.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: neveroddoreven99What a completely ignorant statement.

Agree. I have always been an advocate of travel. Travel broadens the mind. If you live your life by YouTube or hearsay, then you remain ignorant of reality. The US has a problem with a small number of police officers, but it isn't a police state and people are not repressed.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I am free to travel as I please. I can go anywhere in America that I choose. I do not need a passport to go between states. I am free to become a member of any religious organization without fear of persecution. I do not have to depend on the state to tell me what religion I have to endorse. If I do not want to participate in any religious activities I will not be killed. I can date anyone I so desire without fear. We can peacefully protest without fear of government interference.

Sure America has its own troubles what country does not. We may have the largest prison system in the world. We also have the most people in the world that do not abide by our laws. Take the riots Missouri, and Baltimore recently. Who in their right mind would destroy the very neighborhoods they live in. Everyone that rioted should be in prosecuted for any number of crimes.

The men and women that founded this country left because they where persecuted for their faith. Right now in America the only people that are persecuted for their strong faith are the Christians. Our country maybe a country of laws but many have been corrupted by special interest groups.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
Right now in America the only people that are persecuted for their strong faith are the Christians.

You obviously miss the daily hate preached against muslims.

I'd say they get it a lot worse.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

edit on 2-10-2015 by MyHappyDogShiner because: Deleted post because it would not display correctly

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Life is so precious it must be stored in cages.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I think freedom is just an idea, a word that is used subjectively. One mans freedom is another mans prison.
In practical sense none of us are truly free. We have degrees of freedom.

I am free today..free to type these words..free to do as I want, but within the parameters set by law, physics, physical limitations, finances, geography etc.

With freedom comes responsibility.

This is where we as a collective are lacking. We are ceding our responsibility to others, our leaders, our overlords.
As this happens we start losing our freedoms.

Our parameters in which we can express our freedoms become increasingly limited the more we cede our responsibilities.
A slowly tightening noose.

This we can see happening, inch by inch, day by day. And its happening in all countries, some faster than others.

It will get to the point we will really have so little freedom we might as well exist in a petri dish.
Even then its subjective. The bacteria probably thinks it is free, it doesnt know any better, thats all it has ever known..
This could be humanities future, our legacy.

I think we all know we are losing our "freedoms", at least intuitively. Thats why we are here on ATS.
Most do not.

We can debate what freedom is all day, but I think we can all agree that we are losing it, inch by inch, day by day.

Its time to step up to the plate.

Are you going to walk, or smack that f***ker into the stands..

Kia Kaha

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

The right to bare arms.(this is the biggest one)

The right to freedom of expression.

The right to own property.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
i would say we are 'free' in many different ways compared to other countries and that the word free can carry many different definitions.

i would say i am glad that in this country i can choose to work and do whatever i want and the amount that i apply myself thats the amount that i will excel in whatever field i choose.

as a woman i feel free to able to take birth control, wear what i want, speak out for myself, be in a relationship with who i choose, drive, own weapons, ect... those are a lot of freedoms that many other women in different countries are not able to experience.

our internet access is immensely open and free compared to to other countries that censor their internet. and while monitored on clearnet you have the option to use services such as tor if you like to have more privacy.

and while its not perfect here its not perfect anywhere but you can choose to make it what you want

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join