It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you pick your candidate based on media trends and debate circuses, then you're lost

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If people aren't choosing a candidate based on their values, and beliefs, while doing their own research to vet them, then we're lost as a country. We've really bought into the fast food-esque sound bytes and cliché rhetoric. Stop listening to the MSM telling you Trump is up 1.2 points or Cruz is down .04%. What does that even mean? That's literally buying into argumentum ad populum. They want you to jump on the bandwagon or you'll be left behind.

Instead, turn off the TV, and start doing your own research. Ok, so your candidate said something inappropriate about someone else. That's nice, how do they feel about The Federal Reserve? How about the going to war with another country? Maybe try researching them instead of taking Sean Hannity's opinion on it.
edit on 29-9-2015 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

A voting record says more than all the spin and turd polishing in the world.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Personally, I keep it real simple:

What do I want out of this life? To me, it's to become something I at one time had a difficult time even imagining was possible. Now I have no doubt it is.

So I choose what to believe and who to 'vote' for accordingly.

I listen to the news and stories on the internet, dont really care about the debates and positions - and for the most part, I dismiss everything said on the internet - and things like Wikipedia - as nothing more than great fiction for the most part. There's noodles of truth out there. But the truth is more what i make it and less what's fed to me.

So chicken little, what right do you have in claiming anyone's 'way' is inferior and yours is superior?

I certainly wouldn't. I intend on becoming like a God, even if that means becoming the de facto devil to some.

Some are going to hate my choices and some are going to love them.

But I wouldnt' go so far to say I'm superior.

I just choose based on what i want to experience in life.

And right about now, a Terminator war and Borg invasion REALLY sound like that would be an interesting experience to watch and document as a third party observer.

So I vote and act 100% in accordance with this goal.

Will I see this outcome?

Absolutely.

Doesn't mean you will.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: v1rtu0s0
yada, yada

Why are you preaching to the Choir..? Why not post this on the DNC and RNC Websites..?

At least you'd get more robust feedback, whereas here you'll get no sh!t, and rightfully so, as most here already get it.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
OP thinks there needs to be a ruling class, and has the gall to say others are lost?

I reject any claims of authority over my own body or actions. I will NOT comply!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

A voting record says more than all the spin and turd polishing in the world.

Not to those that would apply to what the OP was referring to. If a voting record was more important, Ron Paul would have been elected president.

If voting record was more important, Bernie Sanders would be way out in the lead of this election.

So I would agree with the OP.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

For president I care much more about a persons ability to lead, willingness to listen to constituents, and them understanding geopolitical strategy than I care about their position on any specific issue. Presidents are supposed to lead, and that usually means radical new ideas going in a direction different from the established ideas parties bicker over. I'm most likely to vote for a president who is proposing new ideas, even if I disagree with those ideas.

Congress, specifically the house are the followers. They're the ones where I care more about things like voting records.

originally posted by: higherconscience
OP thinks there needs to be a ruling class, and has the gall to say others are lost?

I reject any claims of authority over my own body or actions. I will NOT comply!

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a class, but representative democracy is the best system we currently have. Voters as a whole don't have deep understandings of issues, and therefore can't be trusted to make the right decisions. With a small number of representatives experts can actually address those people, educate, and make recommendations so that informed choices can be made.
edit on 29-9-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

If people aren't choosing a candidate based on their values, and beliefs, while doing their own research to vet them, then we're lost as a country. We've really bought into the fast food-esque sound bytes and cliché rhetoric. Stop listening to the MSM telling you Trump is up 1.2 points or Cruz is down .04%. What does that even mean? That's literally buying into argumentum ad populum. They want you to jump on the bandwagon or you'll be left behind.

Instead, turn off the TV, and start doing your own research. Ok, so your candidate said something inappropriate about someone else. That's nice, how do they feel about The Federal Reserve? How about the going to war with another country? Maybe try researching them instead of taking Sean Hannity's opinion on it.

People don't have time to research on their own nor do they truly want to.

Update status,
Like picture,
Star and flag,
Listen to the news,
Vote,
Yawn.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

The MSM is pretty much capable of making or breaking a candidate.
Exactly why folks should do their own research, your on your own.

Or end up like Bryan Williams and Hillary under the tarmac under
sniper fire. As I understand it, the media is under no obligation or law
to report the truth.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

yada, yada

Why are you preaching to the Choir..? Why not post this on the DNC and RNC Websites..?

At least you'd get more robust feedback, whereas here you'll get no sh!t, and rightfully so, as most here already get it.

I disagree.

There are still quite a few on ATS even that don't seem to look past even ATS for their answers and talking points.
While it's nice to think that everybody here is in a different mindset than the rest of the population, that's just not true. I've watched it over and over again, when it comes to some candidates and social issues, you'll find that many are just regurgitating each others points. They like to use each other for sounding boards, so to speak.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: v1rtu0s0If you pick your candidate based on media trends and debate circuses, then you're lost

You have to already be 'lost' to 'pick' any of those nasty clowns from that Cirque Du Freaque!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

If people aren't choosing a candidate based on their values, and beliefs, while doing their own research to vet them, then we're lost as a country.

This is obviously aimed at those of you Stateside among our membership here but, as a proud Scotsman, I feel that it was this very problem that caused us to lose (IMHO) the Referendum last year.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I agree 100% again, people are simply being trained up by the media to believe and vote as disired.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   

If people aren't choosing a candidate based on their values, and beliefs,
while doing their own research to vet them, then we're lost as a country.
We've really bought into the fast food-esque sound bytes and cliché rhetoric.

Either way , your donuts are fried !

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

For president I care much more about a persons ability to lead, willingness to listen to constituents, and them understanding geopolitical strategy than I care about their position on any specific issue. Presidents are supposed to lead, and that usually means radical new ideas going in a direction different from the established ideas parties bicker over. I'm most likely to vote for a president who is proposing new ideas, even if I disagree with those ideas.

Congress, specifically the house are the followers. They're the ones where I care more about things like voting records.

originally posted by: higherconscience

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a class, but representative democracy is the best system we currently have. Voters as a whole don't have deep understandings of issues, and therefore can't be trusted to make the right decisions. With a small number of representatives experts can actually address those people, educate, and make recommendations so that informed choices can be made.

I reject your notion that I cannot be trusted to make my own decisions. I do not need any representative, do you understand me now?

Yes, they are a class... they have special privileges and status. They make the rules, and we must either obey them or be locked in a cage. Rarely do they end up in a cage for their actions...so tell me how you think that's fair. They are no better than any other person, but they sure act like they are.

I REPEAT- I DO NOT NEED A REPRESENTATIVE AND I AM FULLY CAPABLE OF MAKING MY OWN DECISIONS; LIVING MY LIFE AS I SEE FIT AS LONG AS I AM NOT IMPEDING ON SOMEONE ELSE' FREEDOM TO DO THE SAME.

ANY AND ALL ATTEMPTS TO PREVENT ME FROM DOING SO ARE INFRINGING ON MY RIGHTS AS GIVEN TO ME BY VIRTUE OF BIRTH.

NO ONE HAS THE AUTHORITY TO DICTATE HOW I SHOULD CONDUCT MYSELF OR MY BUSINESS. THIS INCLUDES ANY GOVERNMENT OR REPRESENTATIVES OF ANYONE ELSE. YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT TO TAKE MY RIGHTS. ANY PERSON VOTING OR SUPPORTING A SYSTEM OF GOVERNMENT IS COMPLICIT IN IMPEDING ON THE RIGHTS OF EVERYONE ELSE.

STOP IT!!!

edit on 1-10-2015 by higherconscience because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: higherconscience

You don't need a representative? I suppose then that you have an expert level understanding of all of the following, and could easily write reports on each of them?

What is the annual safe limit for saccharin consumption?
Should Absinthe be legal?
What should we set our interest rates at in the next 6, 12, and 24 months?
How should we handle the disposal of coal ash?
What nation does the US most need to change it's diplomatic policy with?
What should the US's top 10 geopolitical goals of the next 5 years be?
What is the optimal size of our military?
How often should we replace weapons with newer models?
What should each states Department of Transportation budget be?
Through which taxes should Department of Transportation funds be raised?
What is the optimal tax rate according to a Laffer Curve?
How do different income levels change that optimal rate?
How many years should we test for long term effects of a medication before deeming it safe?
Define criminal network access.
What are the IP rights of a computer programmer?
Should an employee being paid to produce IP by a company retain any rights to their work?
Does the second amendment have any limitations?
If a judge tells a jury they cannot decide on the constitutionality of a law but can only determine innocence or guilt, is it a fair trial?
edit on 1-10-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

You don't need a representative? I suppose then that you have an expert level understanding of all of the following, and could easily write reports on each of them?

What is the annual safe limit for saccharin consumption?
Should Absinthe be legal?
What should we set our interest rates at in the next 6, 12, and 24 months?
How should we handle the disposal of coal ash?
What nation does the US most need to change it's diplomatic policy with?
What should the US's top 10 geopolitical goals of the next 5 years be?
What is the optimal size of our military?
How often should we replace weapons with newer models?
What should each states Department of Transportation budget be?
Through which taxes should Department of Transportation funds be raised?
What is the optimal tax rate according to a Laffer Curve?
How do different income levels change that optimal rate?
How many years should we test for long term effects of a medication before deeming it safe?
Define criminal network access.
What are the IP rights of a computer programmer?
Should an employee being paid to produce IP by a company retain any rights to their work?
Does the second amendment have any limitations?
If a judge tells a jury they cannot decide on the constitutionality of a law but can only determine innocence or guilt, is it a fair trial?

That's right, I do not need a representative. Your questions are irrelevant and you still think that people are not capable of living their own lives as they see fit. You want another person or group to dictate what I should do, and I absolutely disagree. Who are YOU to tell me how to live MY life?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

The only way those questions are irrelevant is if you want anarchy. If you have a government those are all questions that need to be answered. So the question becomes do you want people who can be educated on those questions determining policy or do you want a mass of low information voters determining policy?

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

The only way those questions are irrelevant is if you want anarchy. If you have a government those are all questions that need to be answered. So the question becomes do you want people who can be educated on those questions determining policy or do you want a mass of low information voters determining policy?

Anarchy- YES, please! That means no ruling class, no government. It does NOT mean chaos, I know that's where you're going with that. And you'd be wrong.

I do want educated people making decisions for themselves, and I want non educated people making their own decisions as well as getting educated if they see fit to. As long as no one is infringing on my rights, they can do whatever they want. That's called freedom, something we do not have.

As far as 'policies'... You still aren't understanding. You can call it a policy, a rule, a law, whatever you want- it's all the same- if someone disagrees with it, they get the short end of the stick with potential to be locked in a cage. STOP IT!!! STOP TRYING TO DICTATE WHAT SOMEONE ELSE SHOULD BE DOING, IT IS NOT YOUR BUSINESS. I know this is difficult to grasp, and sorry for yelling, but once a person realizes this to his/her very core, it's maddening just how simple the concept really is. Everyone gets brainwashed since the day they are born that we NEED some authority to do everything for us. It just isn't so!

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

If people would actually honestly vet the political candidates then there wouldn't be any Republican candidates left.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join