It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Back To Basics: Dungeons and Dragons.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 03:58 PM
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh, Zork is good enough for me any day!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:22 PM
a reply to: eriktheawful

You know, I only just discovered D&D 2 years ago, already in my mid-20's. A group of friends from work played, and invited me to join a session as they had lost a player mid campaign.

After agreeing, I had no idea what i was actually getting myself into. I must say I was completely overwhelmed my first few sessions! I have never used my imagination so actively in my entire life, not to mention while learning all of the factors that apply to the game (I believe that campaign was based off of 3.5 , with a few twists from the DM). No video game I have ever played has gone into such detail and required so much critical thinking. Ahh and those dice... the true deciding factors in how your decisions unravel. That one difference between plunging your dagger through Frulams heart, or stumbling face first onto her breastplate *Blush*.

Although it did take a few sessions, I started to become much wittier and more active when we RP. I enjoyed thinking of new, creative ways to take down our enemies, and accomplish our goals. Overall, however, I mostly enjoyed sitting down with a group of friends, drinking fine ales, and exploring the lands that our imaginations put together.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:23 PM
I started playing in the 1970s when I was twelve. It was amazing to be able to sit with your friends, socialize and play all for the cost of a few bags of chips and a 12 pack of soda. I played until my mid-30's when I lost my group to RL issues, but I still would play if I could find a group.

We also played the Star Wars, Star Trek, Boot Hill, Gamma World and Top Secret games. Simpler day.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:33 PM
RPGs are amazing.

You don't have to play some barbarian dude welding a battle ax, or some assassin.

With some RPGs you can do anything you want: be a detective, be a space name it.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:06 PM
Good man. Nothing else needs to be said.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:19 PM

Man, when we'd play we would go for minimum 12 hours at a time.

I played D&D/AD&D through into my mid 20's, when my current wife told me i had to quit being a nerd. But i still have 1 full set of dice, just waiting for the day when i get an invite to play.

Matter of fact, i keep them in the door of my truck. Red gem dice.

ETA: to add, they are kept in a 3.5 floppy disk case (holds 10 disks). How's that for old school?
edit on 9/29/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:09 PM
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

We played in the Navy.

Get's boring while floating on the water and you've read all your books, watched all the movies, and you can only play so much cards.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:42 PM

originally posted by: Pinkerton
Poor kid, stuck at home playing bored games with his parents.

Nice you would be good in one of the ole D & D caves where you could climb out from under your rock.

Now for the subject at hand, D & D is such a great game, been ages since I played but always found it exciting. Brave of you to pull it out for the Scouts as some parents now a days believe that Harry Potter is evil, hopefully you had no issues. It is a great way to spend with family and actually better than Wii and other consoles games because you can change it if it does get boring.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:18 PM
Awesome...i'm currently playing a 5th edition game at my local comic book store.

My character is based off of Ash Williams/Bruce Campbell, so Cha is off the chain.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:46 PM

originally posted by: eluryh22

Side note. Last year my wife purchased me the old D&D cartoon complete series DVD. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but maybe that's what I'll do tonight.

Oh no! You too? My husband and I did that also even though we never really were into D&D, but we played other game systems.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:49 PM

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: seeker1963

The dungeon master MUST be a damn good facilitator for the game to be enjoyable. I was fortunate enough to play a few times with a good DM, and ever since I have yet to enjoy the game because the DM wasn't a good one. Not to bash someone for trying, because I would suck myself at being a good DM!

A great dm is the heart of the experience.
I used to run modules for a quick game night, but the best adventures were always the spontaneous ones. Level one characters. Only wizards knew much of the world outside of a thirty square mile area. Add some twists to old cliches, like instead of rats in the cellar of the pub, make them wererats who burrowed in from a lair. The PCs usually will write the story for you with a little nudge here and there.

Yes, that's what my husband maintains his secret is. He has GMed games for over 15 years, well 15 years prior to my meeting him which means he started good and young.

His current strategy is to world build, get some general ideas as to what will be happening (main objectives), roll up some generic baddies, and create a few in-depth bad guys and villains. Then he basically runs a reactive game based on what the PCs do. These days, my job is to play the main head of the super-secret evil org bent on retrieving a lost asset who just happens to be one of the PCs he's dealing with. Hubby and I text back and forth with basic instructions since I have to stay home with the little kiddo.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:54 PM
They used to have these solo adventure books, years ago, I don't know if they even make them anymore.

Basically, you didn't need to roll up a character or even have dice (you could randomly flip the pages and use the page numbers for your roll), you started on page one, which would give you your situation and back ground, and it would end something like:

"......after walking down the road for what seems like hours, you finally come to a split in the road. If you take the left branch of road, turn to page 22 and read number 5. If you take the right branch of road, turn to page 103 and read number 8."

Sort of like a "Pre-Zork" text based adventure! Had a lot of fun with some of those.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:08 AM
The best game ever. I loved creating worlds and characters for D&D.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:25 AM

i still have all my books from the 1980's. you are inspiring me to dig them out, dust them off and get a campaign going.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 12:41 AM
You need to find this one, play it -- and let me know if it's any good...

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:37 AM

originally posted by: eriktheawful
About brought a tear to my eye! My step son is bored with his computer, Xbox, Wii...and is looking for some gool ol gaming!

Good parenting!! Computer games are fun, we all know this. But for us old folks who remember what a truly excited imagination has to offer once opened, all else fails by comparison.

The fact that you're playing as a family is great. Years from now he'll still remember and hold those moments as some of the best in his life.

Anyone can purchase some digital adventure that has all the fantasy already created. But it takes someone special to awaken the adventure inside another persons own mind.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:40 AM
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I remember that cover. Our old reliable module to fall back on was "Keep on the Borderlands".

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 02:57 AM
I never had a chance to play D&D growing up
i played mainly 40k, good for maths, tactics and giving the mind a good work out! For the Emperor!

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 03:55 AM
a reply to: the owlbear

The Owlbat was the coolest monster besides the Beholder.But a room full of rust monsters destroying magic armor weapons and shields is just Chaotic Evil! And a torture chamber full of Stirges.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 04:04 AM
Have you guys tried Savage Worlds? Its my go to game system like gurps but more fun to play. I ran a Game of Thrones campaign for two years with it. My players loved it.
edit on 30America/Chicagoxam5015America/Chicago3004 by texasyeti because: Misspell

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>