It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Back To Basics: Dungeons and Dragons.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm sure there are plenty of you out there that can remember playing Dungeons and Dragons, and possibly some that still play. For those of you who never did, or are too young to remember and are so busy with your iPhone in your face, or plopped down on the couch with your xbox, Playstation or Wii, you're missing out on one of the best games out there with the best graphics in the world: You're imagination.

A few years ago, I was helping my Webelos Cub Scouts work on a activity badge that involved learning about different types of games. Being typical 10 year olds, they knew all about computer games (everyone of them was a Minecraft expert, and were very surprised at just how much I knew about Minecraft.....and even more amazed at all the video games I play from seeing my YouTube channel), console games, etc.
But the lesson was focused on games that require human interaction in a social setting: Like playing Monopoly one afternoon with your family.

I decided to introduce them to D&D, and brought in my books that I have:

I even pre-rolled up some characters and had a very short adventure for them to give a try, and also my bag of dice.

They were amazed. They could not believe that one could sit around a table and explore dangerous places, fight off bad guys and monsters, and find treasure with nothing more than some paper, a pencil and some dice. One of them was my youngest son Josh.

So, of course, Josh wanted to try this at home. So we (He, me, my wife who had also played D&D, and my oldest son) sat down one weekend and played. We had a lot of fun with it, and for the next few weeks we went Dungeon Diving using our imaginations.

But, as with all things, life kind of got in the way, school, things around the house, scouting, and of course playing new computer games, etc. We'd stopped playing. Mostly while my son was having fun with it at the time, at 10 there were some aspects of it that were a bit hard for him to understand (we were playing Advanced D&D, not the Basic one).

Then last night in wandered into my computer room. He's 12 now, gotten VERY big, and taller. His voice has dropped a full octave. And he said that he was wondering if in a week or so we could all sit down and play D&D again, because he remembered I told him that I'd need a week to gather all my stuff and have some module for them to run through.

About brought a tear to my eye! My step son is bored with his computer, Xbox, Wii...and is looking for some gool ol gaming!

How could I resist? I told him that it sounded great to me! But I'd need to find my dice, as I'd stashed them somewhere.

This morning as he left for school, he said he'd help me look for my dice when he got home. Funny part is, I knew exactly where my dice were. I just wanted to see how bad he wanted to play.

So I set about today, looking through stuff. I have a TON of adventure modules in PDF format that I've collected over the years on my hard drive, but I wanted to try and find a specific module I had stashed in a box somewhere, and sure enough, I found it!

So this weekend, Josh and his mom (my oldest son had to move to Florida as he got a new job down there) will be traversing the Desert of Desolation in search of tombs to raid and adventure to be had.

The TV will be off, the computers shut down (sorry ATS, family time), and no game consoles running.

Instead, as a family, we'll be off on an adventure, made up purely of our imagination (while consuming mass quantities of junk food).

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Oh how do I miss Dungeons & Dragons. I still have all of my old books (and possibly my old dice).

My son is far too young but I fully intend on introducing him to D&D in the future.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Awesome stuff, have always wanted to find a good group and play but it never seems to come together.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Side note. Last year my wife purchased me the old D&D cartoon complete series DVD. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but maybe that's what I'll do tonight.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Awesome!

So sayeth the owlbear.

I've been debating heading down to the nerd shop and seeing if any group is interested in adding a player.
I was into Pathfinder for a while during the 4th edition years that were like tabletop Diablo II. Some good stuff there. I should blow some dust off of the character sheets for Karlin (Hot Karl, he loves to cook and burns himself a lot), my Gnome Bard who tells dirty jokes instead of singing songs.

Once again, good on you Erik! Happy Rolling!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

The dungeon master MUST be a damn good facilitator for the game to be enjoyable. I was fortunate enough to play a few times with a good DM, and ever since I have yet to enjoy the game because the DM wasn't a good one. Not to bash someone for trying, because I would suck myself at being a good DM!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

And that's the down side for me. I have to be the DM, I hardly ever get to play anymore. I can run a good game, but I don't get to kick back and be just a player.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

edit on 09/04/0094 by luciferslight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
a reply to: seeker1963

And that's the down side for me. I have to be the DM, I hardly ever get to play anymore. I can run a good game, but I don't get to kick back and be just a player.

Just watching your let's play video's as a subscriber to your channel, I'll bet you are a damn fine DM! But yea, for those who just play, they don't understand the sacrifice of the DM.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Ah, forgot to add this to my OP:

Here's just one folder I have of adventure modules, hehehehehe:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

The dungeon master MUST be a damn good facilitator for the game to be enjoyable. I was fortunate enough to play a few times with a good DM, and ever since I have yet to enjoy the game because the DM wasn't a good one. Not to bash someone for trying, because I would suck myself at being a good DM!

Agreed.

A great dm is the heart of the experience.
I used to run modules for a quick game night, but the best adventures were always the spontaneous ones. Level one characters. Only wizards knew much of the world outside of a thirty square mile area. Add some twists to old cliches, like instead of rats in the cellar of the pub, make them wererats who burrowed in from a lair. The PCs usually will write the story for you with a little nudge here and there.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: seeker1963

Agreed.

A great dm is the heart of the experience.
I used to run modules for a quick game night, but the best adventures were always the spontaneous ones. Level one characters. Only wizards knew much of the world outside of a thirty square mile area. Add some twists to old cliches, like instead of rats in the cellar of the pub, make them wererats who burrowed in from a lair. The PCs usually will write the story for you with a little nudge here and there.

You said, "The PC's usually write the story for you." and EA posted the modules on his PC, so are you telling me you don't need reams of graph paper any more!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I played Runescape

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
That's awesome, man. It's good to have a kid with an imagination and that's willing to play an actual game instead of just video games.

Your folder full of mods looks about like mine lol. Every time I see one free or cheap on a site I go to I snag it up.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Very cool.

I play D&D life depending.

When the living campaigns were still going. I would travel to different conventions to play.
Lots of fun. And you met some interesting people from different states.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

First time i did D&D was a few months ago , at the age of 28 lol , i am playing a (mountain) Dwarf Battlemaster i think

Great fun indeed

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Have any of you out there used GURPS ? (General and Universal Role Playing System)

It was designed with help from Steve Jackson, and is a VERY basic way to do RPGs. The books themselves are quite thick, hehehe, but most of that is just going into details and helping handle special situations.

The over all system is very basic. You only use six side dice, and you can RPG in any type of universe. Dungeons and Dragons type, or SciFi or even just play a detective story trying to solve a murder.

It's a pretty cool system that I learned about back in 1991. I was quite impressed with it, as it was MUCH simpler to use than the D&D rules.....and was not changing all the time....like the D&D rules do, heh.

The basics were: Success Rolls, Reaction Rolls and Damage Rolls.

Players normally concern themselves with just the Success and Damage rolls. Normally only the GM (Game Master) worries about Reaction rolls....and then ONLY if they want to.

Success rolls are 3 six sided dice. Let's say you want to stop a door from closing (their example, but it's a good one). You have to do a Success roll on your strength. If your strength is 12, that's what you need to roll or less. So 12 or less means you stopped the door from closing.
There can be modifiers. Say like it's a heavy door, with -2 to your Success roll. Simply means you need to roll a 10 or less (if your strength was 12).

Reaction rolls are based on a table in the book, but are mainly if the GM just wants to do things randomly. Most cases a NPCs reaction will be based upon either what the players are doing, OR what the GM wants to happen.

Damage roll are just that: how much damage you do against a foe. And again, it's all six sided.

Character creation is also very easy. The GM gives you a certain amount of point. Using the player book, YOU get to decide how many of what points to spend on attributes, and then advantages and disadvantage. So instead of being constrained to dice roles as to what your strength is going to be, you get to decide. Also, you're not limited to certain things just because you're playing a certain type of character (IE you're a dwarf, elf, etc, etc).

Other than being a LOT more simple than D&D and also much more versatile, the other thing I like about GURPS is: magic.

Old school D&D rules had it to where once you cast a spell, that was it for it. You could not use it again until the next day. That NEVER made any sense to me. Running out of magical energy or "spell components" would make more sense. But spell casting is a magic user's mainstay. To me that was like a fighter getting to swing their sword once, and they they can't use it again until the next day.

In GURPS, you don't have that. You do have energy (think Mana) and once that energy is gone, you have to "recharge", but for he most part, you're just doing a success role to see if you were able to cast the spell or not. If you have the energy, you could do 40 fireball spells all day long.

Anyways, was just wondering if anyone else out there had used GURPS before.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Those books sure do bring back memories. I haven't played in years. I always hated being the DM, loved being the player. Have a thief way up there in levels, and owns his own island. I miss stealing a sword from a person's hand (while they were attacking) and then replacing it with an ostrich feather.
I might have a bunch in PDF form, but they are at the house. Not sure what modules I have, but I think I have the first Ed through 3.5 Core Books in PDF form.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Poor kid, stuck at home playing bored games with his parents.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pinkerton

Poor kid, stuck at home playing bored games with his parents.

He said D&D, not Chutes and Ladders.

One does not use a board.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join