It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Martian & NASA's water announcement, connection?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I can't be the only one who made this connection yesterday, but I didn't see anyone mentioning it so I wanted to make a topic to see what people think about it.

I was reading that Ridley Scott claims he knew about the water on Mars months ago, as he was working closely with NASA on the film. I am not usually one to cry conspiracy without doing a lot of research, but I see nothing wrong with asking questions. Is it possible that this water reveal and movie are some sort of planned disclosure to test the waters and to see how the humans react?

Far fetched? Maybe, maybe not.

I obviously have not seen the film, but I think it may be safe to assume that at some point in the movie, water is discovered on Mars in order for Matt Damon's character to survive.

I'd like to hear what people's thoughts are on this connection.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: roncoallstar

I would imagine it's all a coincidence. IMO. HollyWood being HollyHood.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I was reading that Ridley Scott claims he knew about the water on Mars months ago, as he was working closely with NASA on the film.

Some of us have known about it for years. for some this was obviously caused by liquid water.

But NASA being scientists needed more data before they could come out and say it , they got the data through observations and now we're all on the same page.
Good to hear it from the horses mouth though.

edit on 29-9-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
im sure nasa guys that do the work were sure there was water. but to disclose this publicly the nasa guys who talk had to iron out the details.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I don't think its any coincidence. NASA is desperate for funds, so anything that can be turned into a positive PR stunt will be. I'm betting they've had the spectroscopy data for a long time and have been waiting to release it until a good time (like now)..

The book was awesome by the way. If you don't care much for reading, I HIGHLY suggest the audio book. It's like story time from when you were a kid, great for commutes or before bed at night. It makes the highly technical sections of the book a little more bearable (some people had a hard time with the technical jargon of the book, but hearing it makes it easier to understand).

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I wouldn't doubt that they waited until the opening of the Martian to announce it. But it's not some sinister conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

The book was a best seller, and has been out for a while now. Movies don't just get made overnight. NASA no doubt helped the movie and production crew with the movie for some technical aspects like the military does for a lot of movies.

NASA had 12-18 months at LEAST to know that this movie was coming out. I'm sure they just decided to delay the release of the information, maybe even do a few more tests to confirm it for the 100th time to be sure.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Yeah I was thinking about that connection, but noone can be sure how it is.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I actually thought Mars would be dry by now, apparently NOT!

But somehow, freedom of choice makes a useless candidate without a blowtorch up someones arse!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Let's take it a step farther. Matt Damon played an astronaut stranded alone on a planet in the movie Interstellar, now again he's stranded alone on Mars. The real conspiracy is that if you travel in space be sure to take Matt Damon along so that HE gets stranded instead of you!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheridan91s
Let's take it a step farther. Matt Damon played an astronaut stranded alone on a planet in the movie Interstellar, now again he's stranded alone on Mars. The real conspiracy is that if you travel in space be sure to take Matt Damon along so that HE gets stranded instead of you!

Ok, now THAT'S a real conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheridan91s

Not to mention he's Jason Borne...so he'd be able to defend you from alien attackers.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: roncoallstar

I was reading that Ridley Scott claims he knew about the water on Mars months ago, as he was working closely with NASA on the film. I am not usually one to cry conspiracy without doing a lot of research, but I see nothing wrong with asking questions. Is it possible that this water reveal and movie are some sort of planned disclosure to test the waters and to see how the humans react?

I obviously have not seen the film, but I think it may be safe to assume that at some point in the movie, water is discovered on Mars in order for Matt Damon's character to survive.

Well, the picture is sci-fi isn't it???

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Not sure of your point, care to elaborate?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

From what I hear he actually creates h2o from the unspent fuel.

Here's a link to Wired Magazine and an article about how the recent discovery/revelation actually ruins the movie...

www.wired.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Its a good question, as i did read the book the movie is based on i can tell you, if its anything close, the movie is not about water on mars. On the contrariety, it is about surviving on mars with nothing but what you got.
That said i have trouble seeing any correlation between NASA and this movie apart from that it is taking place on mars.

The remark about Matt Daemon getting stranded, again, is certainly a interesting question.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I can't be the only one who made this connection yesterday, but I didn't see anyone mentioning it so I wanted to make a topic to see what people think about it.

water on mars known about since 2008....here's the article....I don't know why everyone is so excited by this?
www.space.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Novel thought, now that we "know" it is brine simple desalinization that we have had for god knows how long should be able to sustain or at least supplement water reserves for a future expedition, not sure the movie touches on that or not. I am one of "those people" who will read the book first. I know folks say the movie and the book aren't the same but hey this way I get two good stories.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

water on mars known about since 2008....here's the article....I don't know why everyone is so excited by this?
www.space.com...

That is frozen water, this is running water. Thus creating much higher chance of microbial life.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

a reply to: smurfy

Not sure of your point, care to elaborate?

Sure,
The picture is science fiction, but it was the writer Andy Weir, who got quite involved with NASA and it was he who got NASA to advise Ridley Scott and Damon et al on all things planetary.
As Mystik says NASA is very interested, and in fact do see the movie as promoting planetary exploration. While in the past, arguably it has been science fiction that had the firm hold on the imaginings of the future. This film strikes me as a little different, this could be the near immediate future, and contains NASA's imaginings...if only they had the dosh to do it with. And just this year too, NASA announced four new astronauts for what seems on the face of it, deep space training, and the goal is Mars at some time in the fairly near future..maybe not by these four and others, but the objective is Mars. It's all very interesting for the near future.
edit on 29-9-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join