It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search within a single thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   
A question about search function on ATS. Is there a way of searching via key words within a single thread ? There are threads that span hundreds of pages. Finding specific posts I remember were there...but am unable to go through the entire thread to find one or two posts...it would take enormous amount of time.

Can it be done like with some special search functions or something ?

Thanks

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
A question about search function on ATS. Is there a way of searching via key words within a single thread ? There are threads that span hundreds of pages. Finding specific posts I remember were there...but am unable to go through the entire thread to find one or two posts...it would take enormous amount of time.

Can it be done like with some special search functions or something ?

Thanks

Great suggestion.....would be a nice feature!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

well..it was more of a question then a suggestion

But you're right...I think it would be nice to be able to narrow the search with some filters.

Just adding words in a search field doesn't really help.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Guilty. ... . I am guilty of not being able to perform a 100% thorough search, as the verbiage must be identified / matched by the search engine 100% for optimal success. ... . Great question 0P!!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
There's one that I check on occasionally...
It is member's photos...I could never remember the EXACT title.
I had success with typing in member's photos last page and about 3 or 4 entries down there it is page 336.
I know that isn't exactly what you are asking and I think your idea is brilliant AND would making searching for a "particular" post so much easier.
I've seen posts by some members that were long, albeit looked to me as interesting. I have thought I knew which person wrote it but as I go back through their "individual" posts, I am unable to find it ever again!
This would be a great thing that you suggest!

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
thanks guys for the input. Waiting for some mod for a feedback on this. But considering your comments...I'm guessing there is no such possibility. I'm not sure how the ATS search actually works under the hud...

I'm a DBA so in my line of work...it would be easy to add a filter...that narrows down a search by member or by thread. In DB terms...it would reduce the cost of queries and overall improve search performance.

For instance...there could be a small dropdown box to select...

search by "member" or "by thread title"....or something like that.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Don't search here... Google it with words/ats...more often it works....a lot of us use that way

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

What about using "Ctrl" and "f"
???

I use it all the time to find key words and phrases on pages.
It's pretty much available on all web pages.....

ETA
Also, on google advanced search.....adding
'abovetopsecret.com'
to the site or domain line will only search ATS.

edit on Tue Sep 29 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
So you're saying...I can open a thread of about 100 + pages and then go page by page..looking with ctrl + f a certain post by a certain member.

Not very helpful I'm afraid.

ETA
Also, on google advanced search.....adding
'abovetopsecret.com'
to the site or domain line will only search ATS.

my question was.."search within a single thread"...yes I know I can add in a google "abovetop...". I doesn't limit the search to a single thread.

Anyway...question was answered. There is obviously no such possibility. Redirecting me to google search pretty much puts ATS search in a status..."not needed".

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Even Google doesn't work as well as it used to for that. The way you do it on google is put the thread after host like this:

UFO yukon host:abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1086350

Don't include the page number at the end but do include the thread number

I've used this method a lot and used to find a lot of good search results this way, but Google must have changed something because their search doesn't return content that I know is there, like it used to.

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

well...this is somewhat helpful...if it works. Thanks Arbitrageur. I'll try that...

top topics

join