It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Descent Into Madness: Schizophrenia

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

Ummm...Hello Astrocyte...

I wanted to address your position that

Happiness, for instance, is a mutually 'good' state which brings two or more organisms into contact. Like the attractions that form between chemicals, happiness is a force that draws humans into contact. It is obviously an evolved mechanism that serves the purpose of group selection by drawing us toward sharing a common intentional state. But a far more complex emotion is shame. Depression and negativity is perhaps there from the beginning. And without another human being, happiness is an impossible emotional state.

In my self experience...Happiness is not strictly a group or shared behavior...I am most happy usually when alone...lost in contemplation...or watching the effect of the wind and the relationship of hand to tiller as I tack onto a reach and the sails settle to...
I love to "singlehand" or sail alone...The wind...the water...my sloop and I...
A perfect juxtaposition of peace filled joy married to a hyper alert state...

Of course I am also happy in the company of others as well...In essence...there is not a requirement for an..."other"...or a counterbalance of shame in order for me to live in a happy state........

I would also add that the only reasonable counterbalance for happiness or joy is...sorrow...and I would refute that sorrow is a greater connector of self to social states than being happy or ashamed...and a goodly part of that sorrow has it's roots in compassion...or love...one being to another or one being to many others...

At least these things are true within the sphere of my own experience...

Be well

YouSir

<< 1  2   >>

join