It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows 10 was awesome for the first day. I mean really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
So I decided to upgrade because I love new things. Don't we all? I get 10 and it was flawless, loved everything about it. Everything.

I turn it on today and Start doesn't work, notifications do not work, Cortana does not work, Edge not only doesn't work but has fully vanished, and the volume slider has also disappeared. I can access volume and start by right clicking but that's hardly the point. I have looked online for fixes but nothing works either. I really don't want to roll back to 7 because i hear you lose everthing, settings, files, etc., that or they demand you have a disc to put it on with. My Asus lappy came partitioned with 7 recovery, but I don't want to recover, I want to keep my files and programs etc.

This is so annoying. Why put out a product to people that the MAIN COMPONENTS ARE NOT DOING THEIR SIMPLE JOB? I see way too many users with the same problems as I do or a mix of the same. I haven't even seen what else is wrong because hahahahah it hasn't happened to me.

Yet.
Yet?
Better not be yet.

I'll click on start, volume, notifs, etc and the 'working now' icon appears then nothing else.
Sad. Very sad, Microsoft.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I put Windows 10 on my HP laptop and everything works like it should. I really like it and so far no problems. I put it on my acer tablet and it seems like I have your problems nothing works and my programs crash.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It seems more problems occur coming from a windows 7 machine than 8. At least that's what I've noticed.

Try restarting first and foremost. A lot of times issues with the start screen, WiFi, and ME will go away with a restart.

Second, make sure your drivers are all up to date. If there isn't a windows 10 driver yet install one for 8/8.1.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I would start by creating a new user account...

If you have tried that already, a 'Startup Repair' is probably the next thing to try...

This problem looks pretty wide spread so if it were me, I would be looking for a permanent long term solution.

IE: going back to 7 and/or 8 with a dual boot or backup image to fall back to in case of issues like this.

EDIT: I forgot to add that like the above poster just said, some have resolved this by doing multiple reboots...

Also some good ideas in this Reddit post...

After trying a ton of "fixes" I read somewhere that it was a problem with the actual user.

Since you can't open start, just right click the start icon and choose Control Panel. Choose User Accounts until you get to the Make changes to your user account screen. Choose Manage another account Add a new user account in PC settings (an admin, of course). Do a reboot, and the problem is totally gone!

Please keep in mind that you will lose your info if you delete the user without backing up first. Just navigate to the old user account and backup any needed files. You could also wait for MS to fix this issue and reactivate the old user then.

forums.windowscentral.com...

Do you experience the same issue in a different user account? If not, I suggest that you create a new user account or check for the issue in a different account.

Let's try doing a Startup Repair using the Windows 10 disc and check if it helps.

Download the Windows 10 ISO on a working computer and perform a startup repair:

answers.microsoft.com... =1

edit on 28-9-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I sure won't be of any hep.

I am still running Windows 7.

Does everything I need it too without aggravation.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Another thing you might try is a roll back to the last restore point...

I have had this problem a number of times. My theory is that is caused by shutting down the computer while it is mid way in processing a Windows Update. My temporary fix, which has worked every time so far, is to roll back to the last Restore Point. When the log in screen appears, do not enter your password. Click the Power icon in the bottom right of the screen, then while holding the SHIFT key down click RESTART. The select TROUBLESHOOT / ADVANCED OPTIONS / SYSTEM RESTORE

Microsoft Yet to Fix Windows 10’s ‘Start Menu and Cortana aren’t working’ Critical Error

This looks interesting as well but I would definitely get a confirmation that it will keep your files intact as I have never heard of this before:

How to Fix Windows 10 Problems If Nothing Else Works

If you’re having serious issues with Windows 10 after an upgrade, you can always have the operating system delete itself and reinstall without removing your files.

Click or tap on the Start button in the bottom left corner of your screen.

Tap or click on Settings. Tap or click on Update & Recovery. Tap or click on Recovery. Tap or click on Reset This PC.

Whether you choose delete all of your files along with Windows 10 is up to you. Once done, deleting, Windows 10 will install itself again. This should fix any issues you have with the operating system.

www.gottabemobile.com...

edit on 28-9-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Thaks everyone. I'll give it all a try. I use iobit so all my drivers are up to date, and I've done the restart a lot. I'll try the other 'fixes' and see what happens. Aside from this I really like 10, and I can still access but via right click. annoying little huge bug.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Windows 95 is all you need.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Do you have a restore point (after 1 day probably from after Win 10 was installed)?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
No problems with mine. I did a clean install.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I just shut it down (hold the power button for about 6 secs) and then rebooted it and its been fine since, also did it to the mrs machine and i did the same thing and she's happy with it

Probably some update that should be bale to just happen without a restart is a bit buggy and does need a reboot just to start things up properly

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Why not run Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine. That way you can still have Windows 7 + Windows 10? That would eliminate the possibility of corrupting your Windows 7 machine.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
Why not run Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine. That way you can still have Windows 7 + Windows 10? That would eliminate the possibility of corrupting your Windows 7 machine.

Explain please, how does one do that?
I would not know how to make a virtual machine.
Sounds like a solution I would like.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833
Thaks everyone. I'll give it all a try. I use iobit so all my drivers are up to date, and I've done the restart a lot. I'll try the other 'fixes' and see what happens. Aside from this I really like 10, and I can still access but via right click. annoying little huge bug.

Problem 1: You upgraded instead of doing a clean install? Backup you personal data, and reinstall W10 from the disk you hopefully made. If not, go to settings>update and security>recovery. You'll see options for rollback, or a complete reset of W10.
Problem 2: Ask any good tech what he/she thinks of iobit. It's junkware/scamware. It has crashed/screwed up more computers than I can count. NEVER use anything by iobit, and NEVER use a "driver updater". You're just asking for the kind of troubles you now have, and worse.
Problem 3: I would be willing to bet, you have malware/viruses on your computer. Save your data, and install a fresh copy of W10.

My advice would be to take that machine to a reputable tech(NOT geek squad), and have it done right. But hey, what do I know?
edit on 9/29/2015 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: Ceeker63

Explain please, how does one do that?
I would not know how to make a virtual machine.

Download a copy of Virtualbox, and google or youtube setting it up. This will get you started. Virtualbox Manual
Secondly. Make sure your computer is clean, and has the resources. By resources, I mean CPU, memory, Hard drive space, etc.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: sarra1833

I had the same problem and had to use system restore, I had been browsing the net and wondered if some adware or other trojen had struck but it was wierder still as I lost some files on my pc, system restore fixed them but after a surface scan I found no problems with my HD and using Malwarebytes turned up nothing, the inbuilt windows defender turned up nothing and when I finally got Bullguard to work properly with it that also turned up nothing, cleared all my old chrome and the new (really crap browser in my experience) edge cookies as well.

I think being so full of spyware it is only a matter of time before someone other than microsoft is able to access all these lovely win 10 machines so make sure your's is up to date and window's restore is the only solution that worked for me.

Make certain your AV is updated and working properly with it as well and keep it up to date as there are bound to be problems this early on but in my opinion it is worst operating system since ME, XP was great, Seven was the best.

But corporate greed and the deliberate policy of not updating them while trying to foist cloud based computing on all of us even if we don't want it.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Dang! I think I'll be sticking with 7 if it's that bad...

Timmy @ TechTV seems to agree with you:

Top 5 Reasons To Not Upgrade to Windows 10

Reason #1: To my understanding, it sounded like those who download Windows 10 become the 'beta testers' for it.

Reason #2: "Free." It may be free, but you are paying for it somehow.

Reason #3: "Data mining."

Reason #4: "It's intrusive." It can remove pirated games from your computer, according to TechReport.

Reason #5: Driver issues. "Makes me feel like Windows 10 is more like Windows Vista."

posted on Sep, 30 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I had no pirated software but I read a similar report and that said that it could also disable devices that microsoft did not approve of even if they were perfectly fine to use, I got the impression as I was typing in Edge that my keystrokes being so laggy it was almost as if it was keylogging, on a newer faster system this would not be noticable but on mine it was very noticable.

So it is chock full of spyware and is essentially a piece of crap but it is an up to date piece of crap with the latest directX so in the end for gamers like myself we will be forced to upgrade though as for the latest directX that is faster I have not so far seen any real world indication's that this is the case using a seven seried Nvidia GPU, it seem's about the same is all I can say.

I had vista before going to seven and yes that had problems but to be fair I think even vista with first impression's was better than 10 but then all seven really happened to be as a fixed version of vista with lot's of the crap removed and the OS streamlined and less buggy.

I think like other's have suggested that dual boot is probably the best option with seven on a second drive, I did that with XP as some games refused to work on seven, now some refuse to work on 10.

I suspect that microsoft's plan will probably be to bring in premium updates and extension's that they will then charge for or to turn the OS into a rental platform in the future were they invisage a return to Cloud Based storage and people paying them for the subscription to there own data and it is probably really just a ploy to try to combat the growing popularity of Linux or/and to face off new open source version's of windows such as are being developed in china and russia based on the open source NT kernal that are intended to be fully compatible with older windows software.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Of course, you do know that your CPU will clogg up from running two systems at the same time?

new topics

top topics

join