It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Macdonald, Maine mayor, wants to publish names of welfare recipients:

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879Robert Macdonald, Maine mayor, wants to publish names of welfare recipients:

Just more Republikkkan death throes.
Like an infection needing to come to the air and light before it can be healed, we have the Kim Davises, the Huck-huck-Huckabee and other political klowns oozing out into the world to be seen, scorned, healed/die off!
It seems the Republikkkans are melting down nicely, but it will be painful, they take down who they can with them!
Insane greedy hateful bastards!
No wonder Davis joined!
Sewage seeks it's own level! Learned that in 'middle school'! *__-
The law will not allow him to persecute others any more than it allows Xtians to persecute others anymore!
Slowly but surely!
edit on 28-9-2015 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
How about a website to post the addresses, phone numbers and detailed receipts of all the things politicians spend tax money on? Hmm?

Or would that be "invasion of privacy"?

While we're at it, lets throw in a public registry of bankers who helped cause the recession and another one for all the corporations that get billions in corporate welfare...

edit on 28-9-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
What I think is amazing, is that when folks that quote 100 out of 300 million number on welfare. Please think that about 1/3rd of those are senior citizens on Social Security and Medicare, something they have paid into all of their adult lives. Not quite the welfare state it is made out to be.
edit on 9/28/2015 by BubbaJoe because: Lost my temper with the asshats

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
- redacted -

Misread the OP.

Thought the guy was a Senator for some reason....didn't realize he was a Mayor.
I'm staying out of this because he has to live there and knows the situation better than I will.

- redacted -

edit on 9/28/15 by GENERAL EYES because: redacted because I'm an idiot

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is a great idea. I might feel better about paying taxes if I knew who I was supporting

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Fortunately it looks like this political stunt was shot down...

Lack of support kills Lewiston mayor’s proposal for online listing of welfare recipients

Legislators were unwilling to sponsor a bill to pursue the idea, which Robert Macdonald says was intended to fight fraud and abuse, not publicly shame people.

A proposal from Lewiston’s mayor to create an online database of Maine welfare recipients generated significant debate late last week but will not move forward because no lawmakers were willing to sponsor the legislation.

www.pressherald.com...

A proposal by the mayor of Lewiston to create an online registry of people receiving welfare isn't getting any attention from Governor Paul LePage. Lewiston Mayor Robert Macdonald, a longtime critic of public assistance programs, wants to create an online registry that would make public the names and addresses of all Mainers who receive welfare benefits.

The Governor's communications director said Friday that there is no plan for the governor to push for such a bill. Mayor Bob Macdonald pitched the proposal in his regular column of a local newspaper -- saying the public has a right to know how their money is being spent.

www.wcsh6.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I didn't support gun owners names being published.

So I don't support what that mayor is doing.

People it's called CONSISTENCY.

Gun ownership falls into the private sector. Public assistance is just that.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

People either have a right to privacy or they don't.

Doesn't matter who it is or what it is.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

If you don't support yourself, you're not behaving like a human, you're behaving like a parasite. Should parasites really have all the rights that free people do? As a society shouldn't we be aware who amongst us isn't pulling their own weight?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: neo96

I'm not knocking you, just seeing how many here only support privacy sometimes.

Morals are always a matter of convenience.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gothmog

People either have a right to privacy or they don't.

Doesn't matter who it is or what it is.

There's no constitutional "right to privacy", and especially when public funds are utilized....that means public has the right to know.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Maine mayor, wants to publish names of welfare recipients.

Why is this person deominizing welfare for individuals? Is this person aware of corporate welfare or is that he has never heard of it because the media has not told him about it therefore he does not beleive it exists?

Alertnativley, is it that he hates welfare for individuals and hates those who claim it because he wants all that welfare money currently going to individuals to go to the corporate sector?

Its either one or the other.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
- redacted -

Misread the OP.

Thought the guy was a Senator for some reason....didn't realize he was a Mayor.
I'm staying out of this because he has to live there and knows the situation better than I will.

- redacted -

Really??????? Because this is what's called a chance.....a chance to be effective in change.......a change of a lifetime. Be a badger or be a mole.....your decision.......and your choice.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I am personally a little sick and tired of the "need to know" people anymore. No, you don't need to know the details of peoples lives, you don't need to know who is on welfare, you don't need to know anything personal. Celebrities are the worst about spreading their sordid details online and people soak it up. The ashley madison hack, people soaked it up. Its disgusting. A whole world of busybodies sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. If people would be more focused on fixing their crappy lives, they wouldn't be getting pleasure out of other peoples problems.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
putting people on a list to announce who they are to the public....
I said a long time ago when they started doing this with sex offenders that it wouldnt be long before everyone was on a published or public list.
After it was sex offenders, it was gun owners in NY sand here in my state, they publish lists of the names of parents who are in arrears with child support, and the local paper in my town lists everyone that gets a citation or a collection notice...
Well folks, this is what you wanted, well YOU GOT IT.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Gun owners aren't accepting taxpayer money.

not a very good anology..

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hammanderr

So what about a person who's down on their luck, but has for most of their life paid taxes and worked for a living? Are they a parasite because # happened and they need a helping hand?

Why do people's lives only matter when they're actively contributing, why do they stop mattering when they're between jobs and down on their luck? How is a senior citizen who's contributed most of their existence prior to paying their part suddenly a parasite?

Really does the things people do stop mattering the second they stop doing it? Is there no such thing as an accumulation of contribution that has merit past when the person stops contributing?

Most people on welfare have been contributing members of society at one time or another.

All welfare is, is insurance we all pay into, to help keep the cost down, so that we all have a safety net should the worst befall us.

What pisses me off is people treating people like # for needing the safety net we all, including them in most cases, have all paid into. It's there for you too, should the worst befall you.

Like all insurance, you pay into it hoping you never need it, but it can be a godsend if you happen to need it.

Don't be an ass just because you've been fortunate enough to not have to cash in, and accept that it has a purpose that benefits you too, should the worst happen.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If this asshat and all the other asshats out there want to fight fraud and abuse how about they get the relevant public employees off their 'I've got a state job and pension I don't really need to work' assess and go out and investigate said fraud? Start with state and municipal contracts, liability claims, workers comp, Medicare and then head into welfare. That is, go where the truly big money is and work your way down into the less profitable areas. This has nothing whatsoever to do with fighting fraud and abuse. Ask yourself this, which is easier to investigate: 1 company that is claiming $500,000 or 1,000 people claiming $500?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

You beat me to it! Now, in my opinion this information would be of quite a bit more interest to people! I want to see the corp. welfare..Im not really concerned if my neighbor has the LINK card.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I would just say that as a civil servant, my salary is public knowledge (as it should be because I am funded by the public). I would add that I'm not saying the salary for my position is public knowledge, I'm saying if you go to one of many websites and enter my name you will see my salary for each year that I have worked in my current position).

The budgets and final actual costs of my projects are public knowledge (as they should be because they are funded by the public).

While I have never thought about it before, I would say that yes, those receiving benefits from welfare programs should be known by the public because they are funded by the public. I also think a dollar amount of benefits received should be public knowledge.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join