It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Religious freedom no excuse to deny rights to others

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
While I agree that no American should be denied a God given right. and apparently even though Historically under every society (except for very few instances) marriage has always been between a man and a woman, a male and a female, a husband (gender specific to males) and a wife (gender specific to females). The SCOTUS did not change that definition of marriage as between man and woman, they just allowed same sex couples to marry without definition.

God does allow homosexual relationships even if he dislikes it. But for a far different reason than many understand and is clearly stated why in the Authorized Version of the Bible in Romans Chapter one.

wtop.com...

I am so glad the POTUS is discussing such important issues instead of discussing the REALLY important issues Like illegal Immigrants, Job creation and policies that would benefit Americans rather than the our enemies.

edit on 28-9-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I am so glad the POTUS is discussing such important issues instead of discussing the REALLY important issues Like illegal Immigrants, Job creation and policies that would benefit Americans rather than the our enemies.

I'm no fan of Obama, but he has to address all kinds of different topics. Not just the topics that are important in your opinion. Is this another bash Obama thread?

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Your concept of god has nothing to do with it. People should be allowed to get married. Nobody cares what the bible says about it except for the bigots who want to use it to justify their bigotry. Obama doesn't care what the bible says about it and he shouldn't. We don't use the bible to tell us how to rule our country. So drop it.

Btw. Which rights did god give you?
edit on 28-9-2015 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

Is this another bash Obama thread?

is this a question you already know the answer to?

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

HA!

So, if he spends time on domestic affairs, he is failing. If he spends time on foreign affairs he is also failing.

Perhaps folk should just accept that the man has a large job, and does not have a mandate to pick and chose which parts come up, and need dealing with? How about that?

Also, the quote that makes up your title is the most bang on accurate thing one could possibly say on the issue at hand.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Does he have to go over every single point every time he opens his mouth? No matter what he says there is always going to be something he left out.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
That is a very stupid generalization.

It really depends on what one feels their rights are and what effects those rights have on society.

Like many others he can not see the forest cause the trees are in his way.

Hey Obama I bet their is a brownie somewhere in need of racist man. Yes he has super powers

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: amicktd

Is this another bash Obama thread?

is this a question you already know the answer to?

No, because the OP was all over the place.
edit on 28-9-2015 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Perhaps folk should just accept that the man has a large job, and does not have a mandate to pick and chose which parts come up, and need dealing with?

Agreed.

Although, to be fair, I would say that if you forget about any one specific story, you can come to some conclusions (maybe assumptions is the better word) based on which stories that gain national attention the President chooses to comment on. I don't think people are wrong when they point out that often Obama will jump on stories about police-behaving-badly yet doesn't seem to have much to say when a police officer is executed or when an illegal immigrant who was previously deported kills someone.

Edit: Unless he has made many speeches that I am unaware of. I'm always open for being corrected.
edit on 28-9-2015 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

the Authorized Version of the Bible in Romans Chapter one.

The authorized version of the bible? What version is that? And authorized by whom?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Oh, that authorized version.. Maybe that is the REAL issue, not everybody reads the same rule book. THEY ought to make it like Hoyle™ The 'Bible' of card games. If it isn't in Hoyle it doesn't exist..

Still, I don't appreciate the FACT that now that He and Pope Frank got together doesn't mean He is an authority on religion™ do US all a favor and separate the Church™ and State.. Too bad there weren't some 'rules' dealing with that already written ONE TIME read: Original and not 4,392 versions...

As far as jobs, the US doesn't build anything anymore and if they did, folks from other places would work for a cheaper rate than those that feel they DESERVE things as opposed to working for them..

Making 'Haves' out of 'Have Nots' using the middle's money. I'll bet salaries and bonuses are at an all time how this year, wanna bet?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

You're obviously a Christian, and obviously believe that your version of Christianity should have some bearing on society.
Would you mind explaining how you know the will of your deity, and which of the 41,000 other versions of Christianity are lock-step to your beliefs? Also, if you are using the Bible rather than direct knowledge, which passages of the Bible do you consider to be literal, and which are allegorical? Which version of the Bible do you think should be standardized, and who "Authorized" the version you cite?

I ask because you are saying that your God 'allows' homosexuality, and that your rights were 'God given.'
If we are to take your words as not being assumption, we must have some basis from which to work. Was this information given to you as a revelation?

Are you mistaking religious freedom with religious privilege?
Homosexuals getting married gives you an uncomfortable feeling, but has no other influence on your life whatsoever. That's it, really.
People believing in Bronze age mythology gives me an uncomfortable feeling, AND influences other parts of my life without my consent. Are you discounting my uncomfortable feeling?

The POTUS has to cover everyone, and everything.
I'd suggest making a list of all the things he has managed to do, what his opposition was, and then list all the things that his predecessors did without the same obstructions. You'll be amazed. Well, you won't - because you're not interested in actual data.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

While I agree that no American should be denied a God given right. and apparently even though Historically under every society (except for very few instances) marriage has always been between a man and a woman, a male and a female, a husband (gender specific to males) and a wife (gender specific to females).

I think humans have been around for 70,000 + years. How the heck do you know the history of those times? A book written by goat-herders a few thousand years ago?

I am sure that your assertion that any god that was around at -70K BCE was a different beast than the one trapped in your head today. Much different.
edit on 28-9-2015 by olbe66 because: Sp

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Of course he was going to discuss GLBT issues. That's one of those "must cover" issues to discuss at a GLBT fundraiser.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Discrimination IS an important issue, and i'm tired of people acting like it's not.

In over 30 States GLBTQ+ people can get denied services,Jobs,Fired,Housing,Property among other things. we still have hurdles with Adoptions, and Gay Men still can't donate Blood.

On top of the high percentages of GLBTQ+ Murders,Attacks,Suicide and Homelessness

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

There are 4,543 words in the Constitution. Not a single one of them is "bible", "Jesus", "Christian", or "heterosexual". It's time for these Sharia acting Taliban-like fundies to shut up and do their jobs.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

God does allow homosexual relationships even if he dislikes it.

Did God tell you that? He tap you on the shoulder when you were standing on line at Starbucks and said, 'Hey Chester. How's it hanging? Don't answer, I already know, I'm God. You know what really burns me Chester? When the gays get married. I mean, I let them do it, but it just really rubs me the wrong way. Hold on Chester-he'll have the pumpkin spice latte. How did I know he wanted that? I'm God, duh.'

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Are American homosexuals just not worth it to be discussed? Their issues just aren't important. The President has to talk about what YOU find important, all other issues can go kick rocks.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olbe66
I think humans have been around for 70,000 + years. How the heck do you know the history of those times? A book written by goat-herders a few thousand years ago?

We all have our own personal 'goat-herders'...

Some of us are just a little more selective about which 'goat-herder' to trust...

“My father was from Kenya, he grew up herding goats,” Barack Obama told the cheering crowds. Did Obama build his political career upon a fairy tale? Was Obama misdirecting Americans away from a deeply disturbing family background and a Marxist political foundation? ~ Dreams From My Real Father

servehiminthewaiting.com...

“Barack Obama sold himself to America as the multi-cultural ideal, a man who stood above politics,” Gilbert explained. “His father was a goat-herder from Kenya, so Barack Obama would bring people together, so the story went.

“However, as I show in the documentary, the truth is Barack Obama has a deeply disturbing family background, including a father who was a propagandist for the Communist Party USA – a fact Obama has intentionally hidden in order to obscure his Marxist political foundations.”

www.wnd.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

There are 4,543 words in the Constitution. Not a single one of them is "bible", "Jesus", "Christian", or "heterosexual". It's time for these Sharia acting Taliban-like fundies to shut up and do their jobs.

Sharia , Taliban like?

Nice emotional response......

I dont see where they are stoning gays, throwing them off of buildings, or imprisoning them for their sexual preference......

People like you insist on having a discussion about it but then come out with intellectual dishonest drivel like that........

For the record, im pro gay marriage, and im conservative......I still find your comment to not only be completely off base, but one of the Key reason there cant be an honest discussion about things

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join