It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I weird?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Hi all

Am I weird.
Im Scottish (Glasgow) but have lived in England long enough to be able switch accent's
with only a tiny hint of northern.

I dont feel attracted to the Scottish nor English accent.
I love the south African accent.
When I hear it I feel drawn to it like a magnet.

To me it sounds not only beautiful but friendly and wise.
Does that sound a bit strange ATS?

(sorry for such a small thread)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
YES !

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
what a weirdo.

My wife is "mexican" (her family was "Mexcian" when Texas was still Mexico), and we both do the accents rather well to torment her dad. My favorite is speaking spanish with an insane American/Western accent...that always gets the in laws laughing.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24
YES !

Cheers for the brutal honesty.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Ismynameimportant

Well now, yure posting on ATS... and you probably fit in real well! Don't worry about it, always post the truth as you believe it (someone here will straighten you out - believe me) Being here doesn't mean yure weird, but try to experience more accents before you make your final decision...

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24
YES !

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
No, you are not!
As for me my favourites are; Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Angola Portuguese;
Lithuanian, Bielorussian, Georgian
I hate: German, Turkish, Azerbaijani, perhaps Hindi

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I hate that accent, and not keen on the Aussie and New zealand accents either, I think those three sound similar.

Not weird though, I know what you mean. I love the American accents, especially the Southern ones, I love Canadian, and Spanish, a few Eastern European and Nordic accents too, but I hate my own (English/Yorkshire).

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The longer I live, the more inclined I am to believe that "normalcy" is a myth perpetuated by fictitious media. Somehow, through television and other media, we all grow up having a picture in our heads of what "normal" looks like, sounds like, thinks, believes, and acts like. And we assume that, while we may not agree with or even want to attain that "normalcy," those who are "normal" are probably safe, secure, healthy, and happy because they don't have to struggle against the grain or deal with social awkwardness, etc.

Yet, in all my years, I have yet to encounter this mythical unicorn known as "normal life." Every single person I've met, irrespective of socioeconomic status or any other factors, has problems, challenges, thoughts and views that aren't in lockstep with their society or even local social circles, family, etc.

So yes, you are "weird." But so is literally everyone else in my opinion. Because normalcy appears to be a non sequitur, at least in the sense we usually think of it. If we take normal to literally mean only "that which is most common or prevalent," then yes, there are norms and people who could be called "normal." But not in the way we grow up imagining imho.

In short... don't worry about it. Be yourself.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It's just taste.

I love hearing a Brooklyn accent from children or men. But I hate hearing a woman with that accent. However, I prefer Southern accents on women than men.

That's just as weird.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I guess it makes sense.

I have a real hard time with the Paris French accent and I also dislike the southern accent of men like in country songs.
However, I really like the Russian and Japanese women accent.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
That's funny, man. It reminds me of these Vietnamese women I worked with. A Mexican woman that also worked there was teaching them Spanish and they were speaking it with a Vietnamese accent.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

That dippends. Whut ettrects you to de Stth effrican icksent?

Sorry, that was a tad harsh. I'm a sucker for an accent-the Caribbean tongue is pleasing to the ear, and Billy Connolly could read me bedtime stories every night for the rest of my life.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

We are all weird.

You are by no means the weirdest!

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

We are all weird.

You are by no means the weirdest!

"We" as in everyone? Or just the voices in your head?

edit on 9/28/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

A one word answer would be insufficient to qualify as valid under the posting rules of this site, hence this rather drawn out preamble. In answer to your question however, I can only say one word. Yes.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

HAHA
yeh Billy Connolly has an unmistakable accent.
I grew up watching him.

I realy dont know what attracts me to it.

Maybe me being 40 just round the corner, could be a midi crisis,
as its only recently that Ive realy liked it

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Cheers,
I knew I could count on you for a cheerfull reply.
I think Il have a wee drink now.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Have you watched the movie Chappie? the accents in there make me grind my teeth and want to burn the TV!
I enjoy most foreign accents this is the first that I hate passionately! So no I would say we can be effected by accents for the good or bad seems normal.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Have you watched the movie Chappie? the accents in there make me grind my teeth and want to burn the TV!
I enjoy most foreign accents this is the first that I hate passionately!.

Would you describe it as marmite..love it/hate it.
No I have not watched chappie.

I blame it on hitting 40 and the 6 weeks of exercise and a drastic change in diet.
cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join