It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-gentrification protesters damage Cereal Killer cafe in Shoreditch

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Anti-gentrification protesters damage Cereal Killer cafe in Shoreditch

www.theguardian.com...

Guardian article, a bit more detail

Sign of the times?

We all know London is expensive. Ridiculously so.

I don't think attacking a cereal cafe bar, which is successful due to people that are stupid enough to pay £3.50-£5 for something that costs pence, is a constructive way of really solving the issue of the increased cost of living in a certain area. They are just taking money off fashionable mugs, who apparently are a part of a sub culture, and I can't remember the term they used.

Granted it has put the issue in the news, but will it go to parliament for a PMQ mention? Will it rally MPs round to press the issue more of the wide chasm between classes? History tells the wider it is, the more riots and civil unrest increases, and the chance of some right wing Neo- Nazi coming into power is increased, obviously we are not far off, having now got stuck with the conservatives for another 5 years.

Apparently there were children in the cafe whilst the riot was going, poor lambs.

edit on 28/9/2015 by MrsNonSpecific because: more info added

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

" They had torches and pigs' heads.""?????

Just wow. Im sure those poor kiddos were scared to death.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Pigs head masks, but yeah, real torches.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Learningman

It does not cease to amaze me how in efforts to build up, or strengthen the community that events like this are just pushing progress back (I assume the rioters are all residing with in this community) . I can't elaborate clearly for the UK. Ferguson here In the U.S. another prime example. Shameful. ... Hopefully the children remained out of harms way.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I see your point, but in Ferguson the torching of local businesses was acting out of fear and frustration, whereas the Shoreditch breakfast bar being attacked was, while misguided, against the growing gentrification problems in what are historically working class/rough and ready areas, and the long time residents of these areas being pushed out by raising prices due to 'yuppies' and other richer people buying in the areas, leading to more of the old residents being pushed out, and more of the new people with no cares for the area other than proximity to the capital, moving in. And so on.

Terrible reaction from the protesters, but lets hope it at least gains some notice for their concerns.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Thanks for the details LM. Let's hope it doesn't carry over and is/was short lived.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I disagree, but each to their own
Also i don't see it disappearing, rather i see more and more growing discontent wit the percieved attacks on local heritage and tradition. Places in the East End such as Hackney feel that their traditions and heritage are being whitewashed by hipsters and businessmen with no appreciation for the localculture. It used to be a melting pot, from Africans and Jamaicans and Asians and cockneys, music played on the street through speakers at bars, or live every few dozen yards, with thriving markets. The yuppies that have started to buy up properties have made complaints and used influence to discourage such things, effectively ruining what the vast majority of the locals enjoyed about their communities.

As long as the gentrification continues, the people affected will be disgruntled more and more, and both intelligent and also dumbass acts will only increase, untill it is stopped, or more likely, the gentrification is so far gone as for the communities and street life is erased, replaced with vanilla.

I still think the breakfast bar incident was silly though. I understand their resentment, though, being economically forced from an area you loved and felt community must be deeply frustrating. If you cannot do anything about the predicament, and then the people causing it to be willing to pay decent money for what is only worth a few pence, must cause resentment.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I think the issue is that regeneration is a key in these areas, but it has to be driven by the local government in order to accommodating the local community already living there for it to better them. They are clearly in need of social and community support centres to help their local economy grow, and education is key.

The issue is that the private sector has waltzed in, and as like you said, gone against the already existing community that live there and priced them out of their own doorstep.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I honestly think the City of London needs to update its internet infrastructure, if the internet was of a higher and consistent quality many commuters and therefore people who feel the nee to live close to the city could still work without having to ruin the place. I know a few people who motorbike commute into the city who mentioned this in passing, but they seemed to know what they were on about and felt that a lot of people who work in the city don't actually need to work IN the city.

Its a tough problem though, and I know I havent any answers, much like the foolish people with torches and masks, now I think about it.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Alternative headline.
Pathetic morons attack cafe in London.

I'm all for protest but protesting because you can't afford to go into a specific type of cafe is ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That is nothing to do with why they were protesting. They were misguided, for sure, but the reason for the attack wasn't that thy couldn't afford an overpriced cereal bar.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I think you'll find it is a symptom of the growing gulf between rich and poor within the UK.

This will only lead to more riots and unrest.

The bloke that owned the cafe said, that a Pret a Manger had opened at the end of the road and nobody was protesting in front of that.

I don't think his business model has helped though, as the mark up is clearly huge!

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I agree, though id say its not just the rich and poor divide, but the rich in the area taking over what has for a long long time been a low income area of cultural significance, even if it was only significant to the former and current people who lived and enjoyed there.

I think its important do differentiate that this is not ONLY about the wealth gap but also about the gentrification, which everyone seems to ignore.

Also, i have a suspicion that that 'protesters' had more issue with the clientele than the business owner, but i suppose having an outrageous markup designed to attract the yuppies would make them an obvious sticking point.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

£3.20 for a bowl of cereal and a place to eat it in London isn't really that bad , you'd pay £2.95 for a large Cappucinno in Starbucks in London.
I agree with protesting the state of the country and the divide that exists here but victimising a small business because they dislike their business model isn't protest it is stupidity in my opinion , the guy's just trying to make a living in an expensive city.

edit on 28-9-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Starbucks is different, there prices are the same, high, wherever you go, this bloke has gone,how much can I charge for a bowl of cereal and a chair, thought of it, and people are stupid enough to pay it!

I personally am a Caffe Nero gal.

And I don't like the fact Strabucks use prison labour to make there cup holders.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

But the fact is he wasn't preying on what had until recently been the lower income citizens, but rather catering for the newer influx of rich yuppies which forced the price of living up. The anger isn't that the prices are so high, its at the source, the fact they are being squeezed out of their homes and communities.

His business was fine, and a smart move, but the residence that have been feeling the back draft from the gentrification see it as a flag of the thing they have been trying to stop for a good few years.

Bloody daft thing to do though, but frustration doesn't always produce the best plans. Sometimes stupid ones, like this.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

They have to cover their overheads , business rates and rents in London are a killer for small business plus they have wages for themselves and whatever staff they have , £3.20 for a bowl of cereal really doesn't seem extreme to me.

We need to support small businesses otherwise we will just be left with standardised shops selling standardised goods , terrorising their customers is pointless.

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Seems a rather futile attempt at changing gentrification in London. It's been going on in one area of the city for years. The problem is there is becoming a social cleansing in London, with low income families or families on benefits, being forced out of the area, because they can no longer afford the rents in the now gentrified East London. Even middle class Londoners can no longer afford to live in the place they may have grown up in. I would be interested to know who made up the protesters and think, there efforts would be better helping the poorest in the area from being evicted or protest for rent controls. I doubt going after cereal killers will do their cause any favours and just make them a bit selfish, rather than addressing the bigger picture, they've just made a scene. It's a bigger problem than a couple of hipsters setting up a cafe for other hipster numpties. I saw the beginning of the problems, when people used to take their kids into pubs that used to be full of swearing smoking normal folk. Now it's all posh pushchairs and dressing their kids as mini me hipsters.
edit on 28-9-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

"As long as the gentrification continues"

Wow, sounds like the years after the Civil War era her in the U.S. -

Just curious LM, what signifies a "Yuppie" in your neck of the woods?

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Yuppie
a well-paid young middle-class professional who works in a city job and has a luxurious lifestyle.
"a yuppie type from the bank"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join